Primitive Nightmare release imminent

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Fuseki
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Primitive Nightmare release imminent

Post by Fuseki »

My Dreamcast homebrew project, Primitive Nightmare, will be released in the next day or two. I'm doing some final testing and waiting for my domain to go live. The game itself is a shooter that combines elements of my favorite 80s arcade space shooters with some strategic elements. It'll be available as a freely-downloadable, self-booting disc (CDI) image. Some screenshots:

Look for a link here in the next day or two...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Re: Primitive Nightmare release imminent

Post by Juan »

Looking forward to it, I'm feeling genuinely interested in this :)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Looks interesting... Good to see someone and something new around here every once in a while.

Keep in mind that some of us don't have ways to burn CDI files easily though, and would appreciate the plain-files as well (myself included).
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

BlueCrab wrote:Keep in mind that some of us don't have ways to burn CDI files easily though, and would appreciate the plain-files as well (myself included).
Seriously?

Don't you use the hardware for homebrew tests? (or is it cable only?).
Across the Universe
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DCDayDreamer wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Keep in mind that some of us don't have ways to burn CDI files easily though, and would appreciate the plain-files as well (myself included).
Seriously?

CDI files are difficult to deal with outside of windows.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

DCDayDreamer wrote:
Seriously?

I'm somewhat confused by this statement. Of course I use the hardware to test my code, there's no other reliable way to do it. I do most of my testing (except a (usually single) last pass) over the BBA usually, with one pass on a disc -- a disc I still build by hand with a slew of terminal applications that I've grown quite accustomed to using both on Mac OS X and Linux. I fail to see however what using the hardware has anything to do with asking for plain files though.

As Quzar said:
Quzar wrote:CDI files are difficult to deal with outside of windows.
I use a Mac for almost all of my development, and my one Windows machine has no way to burn CDI files installed on it (I like to keep that machine as clean as I possibly can). All I did was ask for plain files (not in a CDI), a reasonable request if I must say so myself.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

BlueCrab wrote:I'm somewhat confused by this statement. Of course I use the hardware to test my code, there's no other reliable way to do it. I do most of my testing (except a (usually single) last pass) over the BBA usually, with one pass on a disc -- a disc I still build by hand with a slew of terminal applications that I've grown quite accustomed to using both on Mac OS X and Linux. I fail to see however what using the hardware has anything to do with asking for plain files though.
No confusion intended, although looking again at what I wrote I can see now that I didn't ask the questions clearly enough. You've answered what I was actually asking, but isn't there a simple way of extracting files from a CDI with a Mac or with Linux?.
BlueCrab wrote:I use a Mac for almost all of my development, and my one Windows machine has no way to burn CDI files installed on it (I like to keep that machine as clean as I possibly can). All I did was ask for plain files (not in a CDI), a reasonable request if I must say so myself.
It's a totally reasonable request, in fact we have been building up a plainfiles repository of Dreamcast homebrew at DCHelp for some time now, the plan is to have as many alternative downloads as possible: Plainfiles, SBI, CDI, Sourcecode etc. it's no easy task considering the fragmentation of the community (that still exists today).

Back on topic: Primitive Nightmare looks like it could be a good oldschool style shooter, looking forward to giving it a whirl. Fuseki has posted a link to the site on other forums but it looks like the site is having problems (bandwidth perhaps): fusekigames.com

Someone has also posted footage of gameplay on YouTube:
Across the Universe
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

DCDayDreamer wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:I'm somewhat confused by this statement. Of course I use the hardware to test my code, there's no other reliable way to do it. I do most of my testing (except a (usually single) last pass) over the BBA usually, with one pass on a disc -- a disc I still build by hand with a slew of terminal applications that I've grown quite accustomed to using both on Mac OS X and Linux. I fail to see however what using the hardware has anything to do with asking for plain files though.
No confusion intended, although looking again at what I wrote I can see now that I didn't ask the questions clearly enough. You've answered what I was actually asking, but isn't there a simple way of extracting files from a CDI with a Mac or with Linux?.
Any tools I ever seem to use for that purpose never seem to work right... Maybe its just bad luck on my part?
BlueCrab wrote:I use a Mac for almost all of my development, and my one Windows machine has no way to burn CDI files installed on it (I like to keep that machine as clean as I possibly can). All I did was ask for plain files (not in a CDI), a reasonable request if I must say so myself.
It's a totally reasonable request, in fact we have been building up a plainfiles repository of Dreamcast homebrew at DCHelp for some time now, the plan is to have as many alternative downloads as possible: Plainfiles, SBI, CDI, Sourcecode etc. it's no easy task considering the fragmentation of the community (that still exists today).

Back on topic: Primitive Nightmare looks like it could be a good oldschool style shooter, looking forward to giving it a whirl. Fuseki has posted a link to the site on other forums but it looks like the site is having problems (bandwidth perhaps): fusekigames.com

Someone has also posted footage of gameplay on YouTube:
I saw the link earlier at dcemu.co.uk, and noticed that it was down then as well (a few hours ago). As for the gameplay itself (from the youtube video) it certainly looks fun, and I can honestly say that I look forward to getting to try this out when the site comes back up.
Fuseki
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fuseki »

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened, but the site is down, and it looks like I'll be needing to get new web hosting. Anyone know any good free website hosts? I hope to have the site back up soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Re: Plain files. Once I get the site back up somewhere, I'll post the data files so that anyone using other OSs can build the disc. I use a Mac (PPC) as well, and built the image using Win2K under Virtual PC.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Fuseki wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure what happened, but the site is down, and it looks like I'll be needing to get new web hosting. Anyone know any good free website hosts? I hope to have the site back up soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Re: Plain files. Once I get the site back up somewhere, I'll post the data files so that anyone using other OSs can build the disc. I use a Mac (PPC) as well, and built the image using Win2K under Virtual PC.
Well, for the time being if you would like me to, I'd be willing to mirror the files for you on a server I have. If you'd like me to do that, shoot me a PM, and I'll arrange things with you further.

Also, as long as you're not going to be using large amounts of space, I could probably set you up a space on there for a site and such, but I'd need a bit more time to do that (since I'd have to reconfigure apache and such, and in all honesty, I've never had to deal with things like that).
Fuseki
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fuseki »

I've put the game on Mediafire for now. Grab it at http://www.mediafire.com/file/zyzz4tjrj ... htrev1.zip

I'm working out what happened with the webhost right now. I think they're upset that I forwarded my domain rather than set it up with their nameservers. Thanks for the offer, BlueCrab. If something doesn't work out, I'll get back to you./
Fuseki Games
Classic-Style Games for the Dreamcast
http://www.fusekigames.com
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

The site's back up now: fusekigames.com

Here's a mirror for the game:

Primitive Nightmare CDI 3.7 MB
Primitive Nightmare Plain Files 2.2 MB
Across the Universe
Fuseki
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fuseki »

DCDayDreamer wrote:The site's back up now: fusekigames.com

Here's a mirror for the game:

Primitive Nightmare CDI 3.7 MB
Primitive Nightmare Plain Files 2.2 MB
Thanks DCD. It's much appreciated. Yeah, the site is back up. Not sure what happened. I'm still trying to get through to the site host...
Fuseki Games
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Fuseki wrote:Thanks DCD. It's much appreciated. Yeah, the site is back up. Not sure what happened. I'm still trying to get through to the site host...
No need to thank me, thanks to you for the game :) .

Despite the limitations of Fenix 0.84 on the Dreamcast you've managed to put together a good game there, simplistic but also quite addictive and challenging, nice one. Good choice of sound effects and music too (although reading the tracker notes I think you need to be on another planet to understand Marko Kettunen's humor :wink: ).
Across the Universe
Fuseki
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fuseki »

DCDayDreamer wrote:
Fuseki wrote:Thanks DCD. It's much appreciated. Yeah, the site is back up. Not sure what happened. I'm still trying to get through to the site host...
No need to thank me, thanks to you for the game :) .

Despite the limitations of Fenix 0.84 on the Dreamcast you've managed to put together a good game there, simplistic but also quite addictive and challenging, nice one. Good choice of sound effects and music too (although reading the tracker notes I think you need to be on another planet to understand Marko Kettunen's humor :wink: ).
Yeah, he's one strange duck. It was very hard to select tracks from his very large body of work, as it's all weirdly great. The first track in the game ("Cat") is my favorite. It's just wayyyy out there...

I love working within limitations. I ran into a few roadblocks while working on PN, but finding ways to overcome them was a fun challenge. It reminds me of when I had to squeeze 6502 assembly code into 3k of usable RAM on my Vic-20. I wrote a small, but respectable clone of Crazy Climber back then. I wish I still had the tape...

In any event, I appreciate all of the kind comments. It makes writing games more worthwhile. Although I approached this project with the mindset that I was going to write a game that incorporates every shooter I love, that *I'd* like to play, the fact that others like it is really cool :)

(Turns out that vg-network.com expired, but the admin forgot to update his CC info. Oops.)
Fuseki Games
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Local mirror.
Attachments
primnightrev1.7z
CDI (7z to be under forum limits)
(2.63 MiB) Downloaded 116 times
primnightrev1_plain.zip
plain files
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 112 times
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Looks like a ton of fun. I need to burn some of the new stuff that has come out in the past few months. I love the style though.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Great stuff Fuseki, keep the good work up! :)
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ayla »

Very good game ! I played it yesterday, enjoyed it a lot :)
Fuseki
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fuseki »

Thanks for the comments guys, and for the mirrors. I'm glad you all enjoy the game :)
Fuseki Games