Help with NesterdC SE!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
doomdoom123
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help with NesterdC SE!

Post by doomdoom123 »

Ok....I am trying to burn this with bootdreams, But I keep getting a message-The binary name is 2 letters too long.

I am very frustrated....please help me!
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: Help with NesterdC SE!

Post by Stryfe »

doomdoom123 wrote:Ok....I am trying to burn this with bootdreams, But I keep getting a message-The binary name is 2 letters too long.

I am very frustrated....please help me!
What exact steps did you take up until the burning process? I'd also recommend using a cd-rw for testing to avoid wasting discs.
ImageImageImageImage
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Stryfe - I'm guessing you are recommending a CD-RW strictly for testing the burning process, not for actually testing the disc in the Dreamcast. However, you should make it clear that you can't actually use a CD-RW in a Dreamcast without modifying the position of the laser (which can be extremely hazardous to your DC if you do it wrong).
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

My bad...

Yes that is what I meant, for testing cdrecord's burning process. I had attempted to update the cdrecord.exe in the tools folder to the lastest Vista compatible build, but I guess it doesn't work with BD.
Last edited by Stryfe on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

The official NesterDCSE release (version 1.0) is available here:

NesterDCSE 1.0 - 2.6 MB

The download contains everything you need to create a NesterDCSE CD, you do not need BootDreams to create the CD but you will need a CD burning application, there is also an extensive readme in the package to guide you.

The original NesterDCSE site no longer exists but DCEvolution became the official mirror for the online Master Library, so if you use the included CD builder and want the optional extras to go with your game ROMs (screenshots, boxart, etc.), paste in the following url into the CD Builder 'Master Library URL' box:

http://dcevolution.net/nesterdcse/master_library

If you don't want to use the CD builder with the online master library, you can download the original complete master library here:

Master Library - 356 MB

An unofficial NesterDCSE (named version 1.1) is available here:

NesterDCSE 1.1 CDI - 2.6 MB
This is a boot disc, you will need to create a separate ROM disc with your game ROMs to use this.
NesterDCSE 1.1 Plain - 2.1 MB
This contains the plain files, you will need to use BootDreams to create your CD once you've added your game ROMs.

The unofficial version has been set up to view your ROMs as a list without any need for extras (screenshots, boxart, etc.), so there's no need to use the master library mentioned above.
Across the Universe
eight8ballguy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by eight8ballguy »

I tried http://dcevolution.net/nesterdcse/master_library but I just get that it's forbidden and the cd builder can't gain any information from it because of this. Any clue if there is another url I can use instead?
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

eight8ballguy wrote:I tried http://dcevolution.net/nesterdcse/master_library but I just get that it's forbidden and the cd builder can't gain any information from it because of this. Any clue if there is another url I can use instead?
The DCEvolution link to the master library directory is not available at the moment but you can use the following link from this site:

http://nesterdcse.dcemulation.org/master_library

If you need some more information or downloads check the NesterDC SE page also available at this site.
Across the Universe
eight8ballguy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by eight8ballguy »

Thank you for the other url. I tried this and it worked somewhat except that it only grabbed the nsf files for each game and not anything else. I'm curious if that is all that was available or if I was doing something wrong. Do the games have to have the specific name that would be listed in the database in order for it to recognize them properly? And if that is the case is there a quick and easy way for me to rename a set of games?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I believe NesterDC SE uses the GoodTool's naming standard.

Try running the ROMs through GoodNES, usng the GUI frontend:

GoodNES
GoodGUI
ImageImageImageImage
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I'm curious if that is all that was available or if I was doing something wrong.
You probably checked/unchecked some of the options the SE installer offers.
Do the games have to have the specific name that would be listed in the database in order for it to recognize them properly?
For the installer: No.
For NesterDC SE itself: Yes, and worse than that: they're numbers.
Insane homebrew collector.