Burning Dreamcast .CDI files with a Mac..

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
TheGloomyAvenger
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Burning Dreamcast .CDI files with a Mac..

Post by TheGloomyAvenger »

I am not too privy as to how to get a copy of Toast 10, are there any other programs that may work with burning a dreamcast iso?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

TheGloomyAvenger wrote:I am not too privy as to how to get a copy of Toast 10, are there any other programs that may work with burning a dreamcast iso?
The official site: http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast ... rview.html
List Price: $99.99

Your Price: $79.99 (after $20 mail-in rebate)
ImageImageImageImage
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Stormwatch wrote:I wish people here would give the LiquidCD developer a hand, because he's been trying to get it to burn DC cdi files.
I've really tried my best to burn a valid DC .cdi, but haven't succeeded yet. I made a byte per byte comparison and LiquidCD is burning exactly the same contents as the Windows software. So the difference is either in the toc, or the subchannel (or the pregap). I ran out of ideas, so I'll work on the others bugs. If anyone succeeded in burning a DC .cdi using another software on Mac (maybe one of those that claim to exctract the tracks) please let me know. Because I haven't.
Also, there is this program called AnyToISO Converter, that should convert any kind of disc image to ISO... anyone care to give it a try?

Email him a link to this thread/forum.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
HyperEnough
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by HyperEnough »

To those having problems finding the MultiTrack CD-Rom XA option -

Go to the preferences pane under the Toast main tab.
In the general Tab of this window click "Show Legacy Formats and Settings"

I just figured this out myself and am about to attempt my first burn. Thanks for all the help.
koohr
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by koohr »

I just wanted to say thanks to draculasgiraffe, and the other user to posted how to make the multi track option appear in Toast. Finally after years and so many coasters, can my dreamcast boot discs. Used to have to use a Windows machine, now no longer. Thanks!
Choronzon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Choronzon »

Hi guys, I created this account primarily to shed some light on the burning with Toast and why it didn't work for some. Actually it didn't work for me either at first though I followed the instructions. However I figured out that when writing the AIFF file session you should do that in the ENHANCED CD option, not AUDIO CD which is what I did a couple of times and that's why it didn't work. draculasgiraffe wrote in the original post that it's the AUDIO CD tab, but actually it's the ENHANCED CD tab. Hope it works for you guys.
Also a big thank you to draculasgiraffe for the method.
darkzionite
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by darkzionite »

i've been having an issue with the cdirip, when i extract the files there is 2 of them( one large and one small )but they are unreadable and the small file is in the wrong format what am doing wrong?
dustsdreaming
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dustsdreaming »

Hello , just made an account

The Guide posted here by dracula with toast 10 works perfectly step by step however i have 2 questions

there are some CDIs that are riped into more than 1 audio file and 1 data

what are we doing in this case ?

also there are some other CDIs that are riped into 2 data files

how are we coping then

Ty , hope i ll get a reply!
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I think in such situations, the first audio track is the only one that matters, not sure about multiple data tracks.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The Data/Data images work just fine with minimal hassle using a small, free tool called LiquidCD. I can't get Audio/Data images to boot using LiquidCD, but I haven't yet been able to establish whether this problem is with the discs or with my Dreamcast.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I had much more success in general with data/data discs. Audio/data sometimes won't boot and lead me to the system setup screen.
zektor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zektor »

Well, I have tested many methods on the Mac (since moving to a Mac Mini Late 2012 recently) and I just decided to use bootcamp. Windows 7 works fine on it, and good old tools (just DJ) work fine with an external USB LG burner. At least I can burn discs again...
http://csdb.dk/scener/?id=3455 - Me (circa 1991), Dice/NTT!
rohanwood
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by rohanwood »

"Multi-Track CD-Rom XA"

If your copy of Toast does not appear to have this option on the copy tab try this:

Preferences:General then check the box next to "show legacy formats and settings"

Voila. Multi track becomes available :)
haseo18615
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by haseo18615 »

Hi, I just created an account for this discussion. I enabled the legacy formats and settings, but only the audio section got new formats. The copy section still only shows Disc Copy, Image File, and Disc Image Merge.
JansenSensei
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JansenSensei »

Hi. I just created an account for the same reason. :)

I have read many conflicting stories on how to burn discs and I honestly have no idea who to believe, first of all, and secondly, the tools I have don't allow me to follow any of the advice I got...

Some say the CDI will be extracted into a small audio file and a data file. Some say you will get 2 data files.
Some say you need to mount the one and disc copy the contents while simply burning the other one directly.
Some say to mount one, extract something then create a disc using a file and an ISO
some say burn the first ISO then the second
Some say burn the audio file as a music disc then burn the ISO as a data disc after it
Some say that when you extract the data you will get multiple audio files and an iso but you need only burn the first audio track and ignore the rest. Others say the first track is meaningless... So wtf???

In my case, I extracted the files using the x64 version of CDIRip for OSX and end up with 2 iso files. One is super small and when mounted I can see contains nothing but the other iso contains a load of data.
Most of my CDI rips are like this. All except TrickStyle. That comes as a whole bunch of audio files and a single ISO but the first track is huge and contains nothing while all the others contain music. Looking in the ISO I find duplicates of all the tracks but in a different format but in there all the audio is empty

So do I burn the one empty track and ignore all the ones with audio? Or do I burn all of them? Since they are in the ISO do I burn any of them or just the ISO?

Then of course there is the fact that Toast Titanium does not offer the Multi-Track CD-Rom XA option when I enable legacy formats and doesn't allow me to burn the small iso as it claims it s not a valid audio format.

So I downloaded the latest LiquidCD which absolutely insists that I burn only one iso to disc. Or am I supposed to burn one then just reinsert the same disc and burn the other?

I am at a complete loss here. I have my discs ready to be burned. I have a couple of CDI files, some extracted into 2 ISO files, some extracted into 20 audio files and an ISO. I have both recommended disc burning apps at hand and I have absolutely no idea what to do with those files...

Toast Titanium 12 or LiquidCD 2.08...
How do I burn a Dreamcast game with either one?

Oh, and let's not forget the fact that TrickStyle rips into a bunch of music tracks, an ISO AND some exe, dll and batch files. What in the world am I supposed to do with all of those files???? Nowhere have I read anything about burning a music track, an ISO and a bunch of extra files when you are done... So what's the deal? :(

Thanks for any assistance
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 12.16.12 AM.png
RythumX
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by RythumX »

Hi,
Just registered.

I've just picked up a Dreamcast and was scouring the web for a region free disc when i stumbled across information regarding burning software and was pleasently surprised when i found i could play back ups without a boot up disc as i have a Model 1. All i needed now was a DVD drive and some CD-R's!

Once i got the required tools i tried various burn software and found LiquidCD to work for me 100% after i figured out what i was doing. This is as long as you have 2 data files. I use 16x speed and if the file is more than 700MB i use the overturn option.

The irony of it all is i initially wanted to burn Utopia or any other region breaker software just so i could play my Imports but as these CDI's are usually 1 data and 1 audio file LiquidCD doesn't like it :cry:
If anyone knows of a similar program to Utopia i that works with LiquidCD please let me know!

I've been trying to use Toast 12 but i cannot for the life of me find a CDI Rip program that works with Yosemite.