NesterDC Se v11

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
we1dont7die
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NesterDC Se v11

Post by we1dont7die »

Hi Guys. Ive been burning dc discs for years but im stumped on this one. I am trying to burn the latest version of this nesterdc se here. it boots and everything and the game list shows up, but when i choose a game it just sits there and does nothing. i have to turn the dc off and on again. i am creating the image with bootdreams and the roms are in nes format.
Christuserloeser

Re: NesterDC Se v11

Post by Christuserloeser »

Odd. You're using Start or A to load the game ?

- I know that pressing Y crashes the GUI.
Insane homebrew collector.
we1dont7die
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by we1dont7die »

i am hitting A. ALSO, I have burned 1.0 without any problems with the same roms.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I was never able to figure this out as well. All I know is that in order to burn more than a few roms on one disc, you have to disable the joliet write option in Bootdreams, or use Dir2Boot.

And I still get the same thing, it freezes after the game is selected.

So has anyone burned this with more than a handful of ROMs? And, could they tell us how they successfully burned it?
Last edited by Stryfe on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
we1dont7die
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by we1dont7die »

It's a relief to know that i am not the only one experienceing this problem. Like you, I am trying to burn my collection onto this disc so maybe thats the problem...but like i said, 1.0 works just fine with my collection. Should i not use bootdreams? Could it be spaces in the file names?
we1dont7die
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by we1dont7die »

so nobody has an answer to this problem?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I take it this mystery will remained unresolved?

Oh well, guess I gotta stick with good 'ol v6.

And, I heard that SE was even better compatibility wise then 6.0, but I didn't want the browser menu stuff...
ImageImageImageImage
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I did various tests and I got it to boot the games starting at about 400 ROMs IIRC. However, it wasn't possible to get back to the browser. Will do some more tests when time permits.

Regarding the compatibility of v6 vs SE: SE is based on the inferior NesterDC v7.x, and from my experience Nester DC v6 is still the much better emulator in terms of compatibility. There are some games that don't work in v6 but do work in SE though - like the KOEI games.
Insane homebrew collector.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Well after looking closer at the output from the disc builder, I realized that there were several Joliet name errors.

Which is why it would "burn" fine in Dir2Boot, and in Bootdreams after the joliet option was disabled. I'm going to assume this was because I had some games that were over the file length limit, and had the "same" joliet name.

It was quite a pain to rename so many files by hand, but a least that issue was resolved. It had been a while since I burned a NesterDC 6.0 disc, but trying that I found it had the same issue.

This is because I ran the roms through GoodNES, and it kept the original game names with additional text on the end of the name. Example: Game Name [Super Mario Bros Hack 1.2.3.4.5](U)[!]

For those who have too many to rename manually, here is a file utility used to rename Win FatX files:
Prexboxcopytool

Or an alternative from this forum:
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27863

These let you specify the how many characters you want in a rom name, removal of special chars, and the option of losing spaces before characters.
ImageImageImageImage