DreamShell NG v3.0.0.500

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

DreamShell NG v3.0.0.500

Post by Juan »

Thanks to _alex_'s post at the DreamZone forums, we can all share (better late than ever :mrgreen: ) this new version of DreamShell, the *nix flavoured OS for Dreamcast.

More info and downloads here (in russian) and here (english, translated by babelfish)
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by curtis_ray »

well a few questions before i download it and waste a cd on it..

1.it appears from the screenshot that there is more than just command line to navigate the dreamshell system..in the form of a gui interface..or is this just a wallpaper?

2.previous versions,in fact the last..had bugs at 640x480 resolution where the screen wrapped in on it self and text would appear to be double posted to the screen....a fix?

3.other than a virtual keyboard what else is new?

edit:so it does have a fresh new gui it seems,but questions remain whether or not you need to add "missing" apps to make the gui links work as in previous versions..which were command line based..not hard to work but frustrating after you learn to use the system and find that it doesnt "seem" to have things it needs or they just dont work properly.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

curtis_ray wrote:well a few questions before i download it and waste a cd on it..

1.it appears from the screenshot that there is more than just command line to navigate the dreamshell system..in the form of a gui interface..or is this just a wallpaper?

2.previous versions,in fact the last..had bugs at 640x480 resolution where the screen wrapped in on it self and text would appear to be double posted to the screen....a fix?

3.other than a virtual keyboard what else is new?

edit:so it does have a fresh new gui it seems,but questions remain whether or not you need to add "missing" apps to make the gui links work as in previous versions..which were command line based..not hard to work but frustrating after you learn to use the system and find that it doesnt "seem" to have things it needs or they just dont work properly.
It's *nix-ish, what did you expect?
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

well i expect it to work.

edit:

checking the dreamshell forums using babelfish..lol..i can see that many of the screen issues still are present and so are freezing issues after correctly using scripts that should work..

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... opic%3d892

until these issues are resolved i cant see using it without the same problems popping up.you end up resetting your dc to start over more than you actually enjoy using dreamshell..if you can correctly read the onscreen font due to its small size and wrap around problem.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: DreamShell NG v3.0.0.500

Post by Basil »

The latest version of DreamShell is DreamShell NG v3.0.0.810 (09.08.2007).
You can dl it here http://dc-swat.net.ru/download/dc/Dream ... AT.cdi.bz2
Have a fan !