Request the pSX source code

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Maturion
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Request the pSX source code

Post by Maturion »

Chui needs the source of the PlayStation emulator pSX in order to get a base for PSX4ALL. This emulator is available for Windows and Linux, but sadly the source code isn't available. Chui and DCiberia have started a petition to make the authors of pSX to relase the source code. We need a lot of people for this petition so post your nick here so we can get enough votes! After having enough users posted here Chui will send an e-mail to the authors with all your nicknames so they can see how many users want a port of pSX.

So just post here. :)
Last edited by Maturion on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Request the pSX

Post by |darc| »

That sounds excellent. Count me in.
It's thinking...
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Me too....
Kevin Beckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kevin Beckman »

Throw my name in.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Sure, why not.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

OK
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

Me too. :walking:

I never clicked the "View more smilies" before... who put the "woody" one in there?
EDIT: http://www.pcsx.net/ is open source and has a dreamcast port http://dreamspeed.ngemu.com/dc/pcsxdc/pcsxdc.html which is not open source :^/ . Just in case this petition doesnt fall through.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

BB Hood wrote:Me too. :walking:

I never clicked the "View more smilies" before... who put the "woody" one in there?
EDIT: http://www.pcsx.net/ is open source and has a dreamcast port http://dreamspeed.ngemu.com/dc/pcsxdc/pcsxdc.html which is not open source :^/ . Just in case this petition doesnt fall through.
The source code is available. The source archive from http://www.pcsx.net/ most definitely includes the code for Dreamcast.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

A long time ago there was a coder named Crt0 who started his own PSX emulator from scratch for the DC. He apparently got it working and some games ran, but it only ran about 5 FPS, so he never released it due to it being incomplete. Maybe if someone who keeps in contact with him would drop him a line, he may be able to help Chui. But, I'm not sure how many people here actually remember him though.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I remember crt0, why'd he leave again?
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

ask on ngemu. I don't remember exactly but I think the author of pSX is a member there.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Tyne wrote:I remember crt0, why'd he leave again?
Anyways, sign my name up!
Same reason we're here at .org, and not at .com.

Sign me up!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Why a petition? Did someone try asking the author(s)?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I think this is quite rude. The developer has specifically stated that he does not wish to release the source code. Not only that,
pSX website wrote:Open source
This is not happening ever. pSX Author is writing this emulator, and will not be releasing the source. Do not ask for it, and do not ask to help him program it or try to convince him to work with some other programmer. He is doing perfectly fine on his own, and that's just how it is. If you are a developer and need help and/or ideas from pSX Author, you can ask him for specific stuff from the source code, and he might reveal it to you, but the full source is out of the question at this point.
my 2c. I know if I released something and said specifically that I didn't want to share the source, I wouldn't want people passing around contact info and putting up petitions.
Last edited by Quzar on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

I don't think Chui wants the full source code. Remember that the goal is to improve the Dreamcast port of PSX4All / PS4All.

EDIT #1: Judging from the google translation, Chui actually seems to want the full source code.

EDIT #2: Here's Chui's draft of the email he wants to send out:
http://www.dciberia.net/tiki-read_artic ... icleId=749
Chui wrote:Greetings psxemulator Team.

I am a developer from the dreamcast scene and all the community would like to see a port of this emulator on Dreamcast as well as gp2x,
We would be the ones who would port this, as people would like to see a psx emulator working on these consoles but for that we would need the source code which has not been released before, by this I do not mean you should release this open to the public but at least to us developers in order to make a port ofthis to other systems rather than windows or linux possible.

We would appreciate if you consider that, thanks in advance and please reply soon.
Christuserloeser

ACTUALIZACIÓN:

Parece ser que alguien próximo al coder de pSX ha respondido a un mail de uno de nuestros supporters:
Open source
This is not happening ever. pSX Author is writing this emulator, and will not be releasing the source. Do not ask for it, and do not ask to help him program it or try to convince him to work with some other programmer. He is doing perfectly fine on his own, and that's just how it is. If you are a developer and need help and/or ideas from pSX Author, you can ask him for specific stuff from the source code, and he might reveal it to you, but the full source is out of the question at this point.
Vamos a ver si les hacemos entender que nadie quiere ese source excepto CHUI con la única intención de portarlo a Dreamcast (con todos nuestros respetos), y que tampoco queremos que séa OpenSource. Por favor no les envieis más e-mails de forma personal, vamos a intentar reunir al máxino número de apoyos para que exclusivamente le pasen el source a Chui, con eso ya basta.

Vamos a reunir el número máximo de apoyos a ver si podemos conseguir que el autor/autores del emulador le permitan hacer el port de forma que todos podamos saber si es posible hacerlo funcionar en Dreamcast bajo la única resposabilidad de Chui en cuanto a código. Repito-- no les envíeis más emails individuales y dejemos que la unión haga la fuerza. Gracias a todos por vuestra colaboración e ilusión.

Babelfish:
UPDATE:

It seems to be that somebody next one when coder of pSX has responded to a mail of one of ours supporters:
Open source
This is not happening ever. pSX emulator Author is writing this, and will not be releasing the source. For Do not ask it, and do not ask to help him program it or try to convince him to work with some to other to programmer. There am is doing perfectly fine on his own, and that's just how it is. If you plows to developer and need help and/or ideas from pSX Author, you for dog ask him specific stuff from the source code, and there am might reveal it to you, but the full source is out of the question AT this point.
We are going to see if we make them understand that nobody wants that source except CHUI with the only intention to carry it to Dreamcast (with all our respect), and that we do not want that séa OpenSource either. Please not them envieis more e-mails of personal form, we are going to try to reunite to the máxino number of supports so that to exclusively they pass source him to Chui, with that already is enough.

We are going to reunite the maximum number of supports to see if we can obtain that the autor/autores of the emulator allow him to do port so that all we pruned to know if it is possible to make it work in Dreamcast under the only resposabilidad of Chui as far as code. I repeat -- emails more individual them envíeis and we do not leave union it makes the force. Thanks to all for your collaboration and illusion.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:I don't think Chui wants the full source code. Remember that the goal is to improve the Dreamcast port of PSX4All / PS4All.

EDIT #1: Judging from the google translation, Chui actually seems to want the full source code.
He wants to write psx4all based on pSX. At least that's what he's said, unless I'm misunderstanding spanish code lingo.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Quzar wrote:He wants to write psx4all based on pSX.
Yeah, I understand that now.

What I previously assumed was that he wanted the pSX source to improve the Dreamcast port of PSX4All (of which an early private beta already does exist), but it is very possible and seems more likely that he wants to start from scratch using the pSX source code.