Having trouble with my project

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
schnappy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Having trouble with my project

Post by schnappy »

Hey guys,
I'm trying to make something which I'm calling "GRUBeD" - "Grand Universal Boot Disc". And yes, the name was inspired by GRUB.

Basically I'm using SBi to make a menu where all the different boot discs can be launched from. So far I've attempted to add Utopia 1.5, DC Hakker 1.4, and the 2 Quake games (I know they're for a completely different purpose, but they are a still boot discs :P ). And well, this is also to get to know how to use SBi. And it isn't working!

When I try to launch one of the discs from SBi's menu (on my DC, not an emulator.) (in nullDC it says "not implemented opcode: unknown opcode @ 8c010000. Press any key to continue") it just goes to black screen and then reboots my DC. Below I've packaged the version of SBI I used, the sbi archives I made, my compiled self-booting cdi (which doesn't work) my custon SBI gfx into a zip archive.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=92CF8GDW
http://rapidshare.com/files/101463508/GRUBEDa1.zip.html

My 2 cents is that SBI cannot launch boot discs because of something they do, but that has no technical basis.

Hope someone can help!
Thanks.
Christuserloeser

Re: Having trouble with my project

Post by Christuserloeser »

I'll take a look.
Insane homebrew collector.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

schnappy wrote:When I try to launch one of the discs from SBi's menu (on my DC, not an emulator.) (in nullDC it says "not implemented opcode: unknown opcode @ 8c010000. Press any key to continue") it just goes to black screen and then reboots my DC.
Which one does this? IIRC Utopia must be launched in "unscrambled" mode from DCHakker and DreamInducer only launches scrambled binaries.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
schnappy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by schnappy »

They all either go to a black screen then freeze or reboot my DC. If they need to be launched in different ways that is probably a limitation of SBI.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Manoel wrote:
schnappy wrote:When I try to launch one of the discs from SBi's menu (on my DC, not an emulator.) (in nullDC it says "not implemented opcode: unknown opcode @ 8c010000. Press any key to continue") it just goes to black screen and then reboots my DC.
Which one does this? IIRC Utopia must be launched in "unscrambled" mode from DCHakker and DreamInducer only launches scrambled binaries.
No, DreamInducer launches unscrambled binaries. I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't work with WinCE or Katana apps, which would keep Utopia from working from the DreamInducer menu.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

OneThirty8 wrote:
Manoel wrote:
No, DreamInducer launches unscrambled binaries. I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't work with WinCE or Katana apps, which would keep Utopia from working from the DreamInducer menu.
Yup. OneThirty8 is exactly right.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.