900 MB CD-Rs, Complete Shenmue II English Ver.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
LanDC
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

900 MB CD-Rs, Complete Shenmue II English Ver.

Post by LanDC » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:27 pm

Hi,

I'm LanDC, the administrator over at the Shenmue Dojo. There's a certain project which I've really wanted to pursue for a long time, but have had the 700 MB restriction of CD-Rs blocking my path. However, I'm aware that 900 MB (99 min) CD-Rs do exist, and have heard some of them work in the Dreamcast, but I don't really know anymore the subject. Thus I've been drawn here to ask, is it possible to use 900 MB CD-Rs on DC? If so, could anyone recommend which brand to use and where I can buy them? I live in the U.S., by the way.

I should also add that my current CD writer is a Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2.

The project is for a full English version of Shenmue II for Dreamcast. Unlike the "English Speech Repack" Jeffma released a while back, my version is to include cutscene AND in-game English voices. Not only that, but a few other minor changes and touch-ups. But even after cutting out tons of unused data, I've came to the conclusion that it's impossible to accomplish with 700 MB media.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:30 pm

Hmm. I've used 90min (perhaps 99, can't remember) and they seemed to work fine. I would assume that if it was the 90 that I did use, 99 should work too. How much do they cost, and is it really a possibility just to try it out for yourself? I'm not quite sure of that many places that sell them in my part of the world, but surely they're not that expensive.

I have nothing else to offer but to say I love the work done at Shenmue Dojo. Shenmue I/II are my 2 favourite games of all time. :D And to see the work you guys put in over there makes me love the game even more so. I hope you get this project working, but I have a feeling we might not be able to discuss it here. It might be alright seeings how you're not actually going into specific details and you're just asking if the CD-Rs work or not.

Anyway, no matter what happens I wish you the best of luck with this project. :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
bizzle

Post by bizzle » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:06 pm

I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to be discussed here.
LanDC
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by LanDC » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:46 am

Skynet wrote:Hmm. I've used 90min (perhaps 99, can't remember) and they seemed to work fine. I would assume that if it was the 90 that I did use, 99 should work too. How much do they cost, and is it really a possibility just to try it out for yourself? I'm not quite sure of that many places that sell them in my part of the world, but surely they're not that expensive.

I have nothing else to offer but to say I love the work done at Shenmue Dojo. Shenmue I/II are my 2 favourite games of all time. :D And to see the work you guys put in over there makes me love the game even more so. I hope you get this project working, but I have a feeling we might not be able to discuss it here. It might be alright seeings how you're not actually going into specific details and you're just asking if the CD-Rs work or not.

Anyway, no matter what happens I wish you the best of luck with this project. :D
The cost isn't what I'm worried about. I just can't seem to find any 99 min CD-Rs at all nearby. I've found a few online stores that sell them, but they're all European, and I would prefer to buy from within the U.S. They seem to be difficult to find, which is why I wanted to be certain I can make use of them before wasting time and money.

I did recently find a good U.S. store that sells 90+ minute CD-Rs, which claims to fit up to 874 MB in data. I might be able to fit the game on these, so I think I'll give them a try. Thanks for your input.

Also, I appreciate the compliments on the Dojo. :)
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:38 pm

I too would like to know where to purchase 99 min CD-Rs, as I've only heard of them, but never seen.
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:08 am

Love the Dojo :kiss)

This project sounds interesting. Are you going to use the xBox dub? I heard it's not exactly the best dub (and not as good as in Shenmue I)...

I'd like to know if you are going to redo Shenmue I with the Japanese voices too ? That'd be something I'd be a lot more interested in.

Anyway, I wish you good luck on this project! The scene definitly needs more (translation) projects like this.
Insane homebrew collector.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:57 pm

try overburning a 80 minute cdr it should work
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:30 am

...or it kills your burner :roll:
Insane homebrew collector.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:12 am

Xylene wrote:I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to be discussed here.
I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm locking this topic for now. I'll ask the staff how they feel about it.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.