Dream Inducer source

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dream Inducer source

Post by Christuserloeser »

LyingWake wrote:Anyway DCGrendel didn't mind if it was open for public consumption, so if you're interested in checking it out download inducer-1.1.tgz.
The link is down so I've mirror'd the source code at zshare and DCEvo.
Insane homebrew collector.
Maturion
Has thanked: 0

Post by Maturion »

I wonder why ConsoleVision is down.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

The domain expired. The owner hasn't renewed it yet... and to be honest, I don't know if it ever will be.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Does anyone have a backup of this?
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

emptythought wrote:Does anyone have a backup of this?
Dream Inducer Source
Across the Universe
spinksy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by spinksy »

I don't mean to be ignorant - but what exactly is this?
Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

Over-clocked : Dreamcast currently running at 240Mhz (switchable)

Internal VGA, extra cooling fans, disc activity LED, SD card reader done :-)

Dreamcast HD wanted
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

spinksy wrote:I don't mean to be ignorant - but what exactly is this?
DreamInducer is a menu system for Dreamcast homebrew. It allows you to make customized menus using XML, can launch programs (such as emulators or games), and play DivX movies.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

spinksy wrote:I don't mean to be ignorant - but what exactly is this?
It allows you to run multiple homebrew apps/emulators/games on one disc. That is if their binaries support it, and most unscrambled do.

BTW - The start button thing from above never was changed, and you can simply rename uDCDivX's main binary to "DCDIVX.BIN" to get it to work with the latest version.
ImageImageImageImage
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I took a jab at removing the start button problem by compiling and comparing stripped down DI controller code... It could work it could not; it's worth a test... start button was changed to the Dreamcast's second Dpad's button -- a button not on a standard controller.

Hex edited version attached with Dev ISO R4's menu and stuff.
Attachments
di_nostrtbtn.7z
(348.77 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Awesome! :grin:
Insane homebrew collector.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

emptythought wrote:I took a jab at removing the start button problem by compiling and comparing stripped down DI controller code... It could work it could not; it's worth a test... start button was changed to the Dreamcast's second Dpad's button -- a button not on a standard controller.

Hex edited version attached with Dev ISO R4's menu and stuff.
Mapping the debug button to a different button (or combination) would be pretty easy. I would actually recommend maybe L-trigger && B button to prevent mis-presses.

Also , could easily map the start button to perform the same function as the A button?

What other functions could be added to dream inducer, my guesses...

1) Multiple screenshots, for each entry, adding an array cycle to the ss display part of the code. (mapping it to left and right on the dpad/analog stick to view the different images.)

2) Being able to change the music in the selection screen, maybe a bit could be added where the music could be pathed-to in the header section of mainmenu.dxl.

3) A function to display all (condensed) maple bus information of what devices are connected, shown in secondary screen you can switch back and forth to from the main screen.

Frankly, im more interested in dreamshell,and any changes to DI would force me to do a MDT update, but its fine. Just throwing out some ideas.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I.M. Weasel wrote:2) Being able to change the music in the selection screen, maybe a bit could be added where the music could be pathed-to in the header section of mainmenu.dxl.
I didn't know there could even be menu music, period. Does anyone have any documentation as how to add a track for the menu?
ImageImageImageImage
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Stryfe wrote:I didn't know there could even be menu music, period. Does anyone have any documentation as how to add a track for the menu?
I think you've misread the post, I.M. is asking what other features could be added to Dream Inducer. DI was originally intended to have menu music but it was disabled before release, if I remember correctly it was due to something like 'stutter/music crash' on playback when new screenshots were loaded (Sort of how ScummVM stutters when it seeks data on the CD). DI uses sourcecode from DCDivX to play AVI and MP3 tracks, the menu XML source listing for an MP3 within the menu itself was excluded from the release due to instability of playback.

Dream Inducer really is an awesome homebrew app for the DC, it's a bit of a shame that it hasn't been updated somehow because there isn't any other homebrew menu system as versatile, OneThirty8 was working with the source some time ago but ran into problems on compiling the newly updated source (hope I haven't given away any secrets there bud?). I haven't played with DI for a long while now but I fully intend to try out the new 'start button fix' version by emptythought, has anyone else tried it yet?.
Across the Universe
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

DCDayDreamer wrote:
Stryfe wrote:I didn't know there could even be menu music, period. Does anyone have any documentation as how to add a track for the menu?
I think you've misread the post, I.M. is asking what other features could be added to Dream Inducer.
Actually he didn't misread the post. Although the point is about new additions, I mistakenly thought that the DI menu had music in it. ( I must've confused it with dreamsnes.)

But with that knowledge, it might be a bit harder to implement, since its not already present. Still an idea though.
DCDayDreamer wrote:Dream Inducer really is an awesome homebrew app for the DC, it's a bit of a shame that it hasn't been updated somehow because there isn't any other homebrew menu system as versatile, OneThirty8 was working with the source some time ago but ran into problems on compiling the newly updated source (hope I haven't given away any secrets there bud?). I haven't played with DI for a long while now but I fully intend to try out the new 'start button fix' version by emptythought, has anyone else tried it yet?.
Yeah where is OnethirtyEight, *hey come here*!

And no, i have not tried it yet.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

@DCDayDreamer: I'm gonna add DI's functions to that example ;). Whether it stays at DCDevolution or not I have not yet decided.
DCDayDreamer wrote:
I think you've misread the post, I.M. is asking what other features could be added to Dream Inducer. DI was originally intended to have menu music but it was disabled before release [...] DI uses sourcecode from DCDivX to play AVI and MP3 tracks, the menu XML source listing for an MP3 within the menu itself was excluded from the release due to instability of playback.
libdivx wasn't complete from what I remember from looking at the source.

DCDayDreamer wrote:ream Inducer really is an awesome homebrew app for the DC, it's a bit of a shame that it hasn't been updated somehow because there isn't any other homebrew menu system as versatile, OneThirty8 was working with the source some time ago but ran into problems on compiling the newly updated source (hope I haven't given away any secrets there bud?). I haven't played with DI for a long while now but I fully intend to try out the new 'start button fix' version by emptythought, has anyone else tried it yet?.
OneThirty8 is working on VC/DC so if I manage the upport of DI then he musn't worry about libdivx...

The problem with that specific binary though, controller defines are bit shifted? Eh, I'll get you guys the new DI eventually. :)
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I.M. Weasel wrote: Yeah where is OnethirtyEight, *hey come here*!
I'm around. I haven't been working on any DC-related projects in a while. I moved to the Albany area at the beginning of October and just brought my Dreamcast to the new place today. I do plan to work on this kind of stuff more in the future, but I'm just finally feeling settled in my new place and I still need to find a home for my Linux system, which has all of my DC programming tools on it. DreamInducer was still near the top of my list of things to play with, unless somebody else is putting significant work into updating the source code and extending/fixing it at this point.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I created a Google Code page for DI if you PM me your email address then I'll add you to the project (if you want).
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I hate to make requests, but if this might be updated....

Would it be possible to allow 4-way direction menu selection, instead of the bi-directional scrolling?

You know... like having a command tag for the list menu that allows left/right to select different options than what up/down do.
Last edited by Stryfe on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Project's currently on the back burner until I finish Wolf4SDL\DC.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I know you said you were busy with other stuff, but would something like animated gifs be possible?

Maybe with just with 2-3 frames of animation?
ImageImageImageImage