Sonic Robo-Blast 2

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
LoganGBC
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LoganGBC »

Cormega wrote:I'm just curious. I know it took about 5 years to accomplish but I wanted to know how large was the development team that worked on this.
ok, from my "boss"
SSNTails wrote:[20:24:58] SSNTails: About 2-6 people throughout the development
[20:25:07] SSNTails: it varied as the project went along
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I've not looked at this project for a long time. Think I'll sign up for the forums.
If this maintains compatability with the DOOM.WAD format, and still stays fairly true to the original DOOM Legacy formula, then I'll be able to go crazy with this, I've been using Legacy for about 5 years now so... :)

Matter of fact I recently switched my Starwars Legacy project over to GZDOOM, which means I have some maps and ideas I have to leave behind since GZDOOM is not 100% Legacy compatable, which means I "might" have left overs that could be applied to this source port.
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I remember back when I was in high school, and this project was first announced (1998-ish? maybe a little later)

It was actually how I got into homebrew in the first place--I started by coding games in BASIC for the TI-8x calculators, and somehow I ended up coming across a link to the Sonic Fan Games HQ. This was all around the same time I was discovering the magic of emulators, ROM patches, and BETA versions of games such as Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

I was working on a Sonic clone for a while, using Multimedia Fusion (a graphical gamebuilder), but I ended up scrapping it for quality reasons. Sonic Robo Blast 2 was first regarded as an impossible dream, then as it actually started coming together, as one of the two "gold standard" projects of the community (the other being a 2D effort called Sonic: Project Mettrix...which I believe was started by a member of the SRB team who left, though I could be mistaken).

Yay, I know tons of stupid history about useless stuff :P

Glad to see this project finally make its way onto consoles, though. Hopefully the DC port will continue to be improved, and not just remain as a proof-of-concept. Good work :)
Wow, you go way back. Mettrix is still around, by the way. As with a lot of Sonic Homebrew related stuff, it's evolved over these five or six years. The author (Stealth, big name in the Sonic community) has been re-coding the core from the ground up again because he got sick of the mess that was the old Mettrix. He's one of the most talented Sonic ROM hackers out there, and in his new Mettrix engine (E02) it shows. He actually released a ROM hack that he and his wife did recently that fully ports Knuckles into Sonic 1, to give you an idea how intimate he is with Sonic code now. :P Mettrix is practically an official Sonic game ported to Windows, when you consider that.

By the way, guys. Good job. You killed SRB2's download server. XD The Elf/Bins are fine, but the main 25mb download is currently dead. Hopefully will be back up by tomorrow.
To live a life of power, you must have faith in what you believe is right. The first thing you must do is find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of time itself. And to do that, all you must do is take the first step...
THE#1SonicFan
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by THE#1SonicFan »

how do u burn this? Can I just make a self-booting image with self-boot or do I have to burn this a hard way?
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Blaze's handy-dandy guide to burning SRB2DC*

* Mostly a ripoff of Digiku's SRB2DC burning guide.

STEP 1:
Grab the Elf/bins from the first page of this topic. Extract these to a folder. For example. C:\srb2dc\

STEP 2:
Grab the SRB2 1.09 Demo from SRB2.org. Extract the following files to the same directory as the elf\bin (C:\srb2dc\): 3drend.dll, config.cfg, gamedata.dat, drill.dta, music.dta, soar.dta, zim.dta, knux.plr, sonic.plr, tails.plr, srb2.srb, auto.wpn, bomb.wpn, home.wpn, infn.wpn, and rail.wpn. If you have other SRB2 wads you'd like to try with it, put these here, too. (For example, scr_mysticrealm4.wad or sasrb2.wad)

STEP 3:
Grab BootDreams, also linked to on the first page of this topic. Extract it to something like, C:\bootdreams\.

STEP 4:
Open Bootdreams (bootdreams.exe). In "Please Select Folder", enter your SRB2DC directory (C:\srb2dc). I used Nero, Track-at-Once, and I left the CD/Volume Label alone. Hit "Create Image". It should tell you there is no IP.bin, either - tell it to create one.

STEP 5:
When your ISO (in my case, DREAMCAST-TAO.nrg) is created, open your burning program (Nero) and burn. It is reccomended you burn at or under 16x speed, as higher speed burning can cause some problems, depending on your burner.

STEP 6:
Pop the freshly burned disc into your Dreamcast and enjoy! You can press tab on your Dreamcast Keyboard to bring down the console and play with any of the other WADs you burned with SRB2DC. (addfile *.wad)
Last edited by BlazeHedgehog on Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To live a life of power, you must have faith in what you believe is right. The first thing you must do is find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of time itself. And to do that, all you must do is take the first step...
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Hey BlazeHedgehog, FYI the BDS Manager isn't needed. What it's for is for you (the author) to release the BDS file to the public along with the game release (since you already know to how set the disc up).

That way, people use the BDS image to make sure their directory is the same as yours was when you created the BDS image.

Anyway, I tried it today, but didn't add any of the wads or anything (completely forgot and was unaware that I needed any). Next time I burn something, I'll make sure I burn the wad files with it.
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Fixed. :P Digi's guide has you put 3drend.dll in with the elf/bin stuff, too. I dunno if that'll do anything, but I edited it into my post just to be safe.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Sounds like it's not DOOM much at all, so none of my present work will be compatable. None the less, once I find a source to download the latest WAD file 1.09, I'll dig into it and see what's new. The guys on the forums are making this sound like an intense editing enviroment!

Anyone got a torrent link or something for this (not the DC bins)?

Thankx for bringing this to our attention Blaze! I remember this project from waaayyy back when I first realized DOOM editing wasn't so hard after all. This is one of those project that proved to me that Legacy truely had the power to create worlds, and so the story goes. :)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I helped kill the srb2 download server, why? I advertised and pimped it all over GameFAQs. ;)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Shinto
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shinto »

I'm loving this right now. I hope you can make this a great enough for it to be very presentable with save feature. Keep up the good work!
Yeah I'm Back, So Be Happy!
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I hope they have better luck with saving than Aura did.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

ALRIGHT!!!! I was one of those requesters! I finally got my prayers answered! It's just amazing that we got another DC Sonic game now! BTW, how many of you actually beat this? I did on the pc, and it was HAAAARD! lol. Anyways, the music in this game is TOO COOL and the fact that they wrote the music just for it makes it feel more unique. I too feel like I'm playing Sonic Xtreme, lol. Thanks for posting the download! Later.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Hey, sorry about posting again, but I just played it on the DC and just who is porting this game again? I know it was stupid of me to expect everything to work perfectly in the current release, but there's no sound at all. Is that how it's supposed to be? Anyways, I'd like to know who's working on this because I'd like to thank him for all that he's done so far. Please continue porting this because it would be GREAT on the DC. If I could make a suggestion though...the L+R buttons should be used for turning the camera because it's kinda screwy to play if you can't fix alter it on the fly. Thanks again!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
LoganGBC
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by LoganGBC »

jessman wrote:but I just played it on the DC and just who is porting this game again?
That would be Alam and I
jessman wrote:I know it was stupid of me to expect everything to work perfectly in the current release, but there's no sound at all.
1st, SRB2 is foremost a PC game, and the way it's programmed, well, it's a memory waster, and big one at that, and we needed to cut some stuff for memory so it can run at all!

2nd, but now this a good time (and way) to make SRB2 smaller, faster, and better w00t!
jessman wrote:If I could make a suggestion though...the L+R buttons should be used for turning the camera because it's kinda screwy to play if you can't fix alter it on the fly.
well, then you can change the key bindings, just like in the PC version
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I can beat it quite it easily on very hard, except for mystic realm! That's tough.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Yeah, Mystic (the author) is kind of masochistic. He likes balls-to-the-wall difficulty.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Mystic just likes balls in general. :)

So he did some of the levels for this? I seen him in the forums, but wasn't sure what he'd been up to, it's been months since I've talked to him.

And did you guys post the torrent for this in here?

If not, here it is, please seed so others may live, er um, play:

*edit: hosted by a warez torrent site*
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Mystic is an official level designer for SRB2. He's done Castle Eggman act 1, and is currently working on Deep Sea Zone.

The Mystic Realm started as a collection of Singleplayer Maps Mystic had done out of boredom, but he began adding to it and adding to it, tweaking and polishing it, while waiting for Texture artists (IE - me) to do textures for the rest of SRB2.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I was wondering what he's been up to. I'd not seen him around newdoom in forever (before I got the boot he he), and he's not released anything "to my knowledge" in a while either.
Now I know to the contrary. Good thing too because I've always liked his work, not to mention his whole phylosophy on life in general. Good man!
Christluu
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Christluu »

I did the cover :)