How to host VMU saves?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to host VMU saves?

Post by DCmad »

Firstly, i don't know if it sould be in this board. If not, i ask for a mod to move it to proper place.

Well, i run a webserver from my computer, just for learning purposes, php, SSI and such.
By some ideas i had, i connected my DC in the web and mailed to myself with some saves anexed.
Got it in the PC but they were in raw form, as in the VMU itself.
I got in chankast, a utility called vmsbrowser, where i could import the raw saves to the vms.bin. Then i exported them in .dci format. Usable only in Nexus thing.
Now i need help. How can i get VMI+VMS from these DCIs so i can link them in a page i can download in PW or DP?

Before any smart@ss tell me to, i don't wanna burn VMUTool, use Coders Cable (wich i don't have) or anything like this. Just turn my saves downloadable in a webpage. For myyself and some friends.

Thanks and cheers.
NightStalker
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by NightStalker »

i have never attempted to convert .dci to vms/vmi before.i will look around to see if i can snoop out a tool somewhere tho..

:D
Vash*The*Stampede
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Vash*The*Stampede »

Alright, unless you used Nexus to do this, the VMU files you uploaded to yourself through your Dreamcast should actually be VMS files (Just without the .VMS extention/left with the original Katana filename). You can rename them to whatever you like within 3-8 characters, such as '0000001.VMS'.

You would need to create a VMI file. There's a couple programs I know that can do this for you... One of them is 'dci_vmi'. All you would really need to know is the Katana filename (VMU filename that displays in the BIOS) for each save.

Alternatively, you could turn your new DCI files into a VMS file with a program like 'dci2vms' and then make VMI files for those, but I doubt you'd want to do that. :wink:

Good luck.
Last edited by Vash*The*Stampede on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"In the language of the flower, red geraniums represent determination"
NightStalker
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by NightStalker »

Vash*The*Stampede
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

As I just stated, 'dci2vms' only makes VMS files. :|
NightStalker
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by NightStalker »

theres another tool that creates a vmi from dci..but its for macintosh only..i think.

either way..you got two good tips.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Thanks for all your help.

I already had tryed DCI_VMI.com and DCI2VMS.com.
Like so:
1. Mailed myself the saves.
2. Got them in PC, imported in vmsbrowser and exported as DCI.
3. With dci2vms.com, i made them as vms.
4. Deleted the old DCIs.
5. With DCI_VMI.com got new DCIs and VMI named as the VMS. I didn't knew about the katana names, gave custom names.

Code: Select all

E:\Abyss\HTDOCS\saves>dcivmi secret3.vms

Is SECRET3.VMS a <D>ata file or a <G>ame file? (D/G): d

File Description (for VMS File Menu): DreamSNES SRAM    *it was here automaticaly*
File Description (for DC File Manager): Secret of Mana    *it was here automaticaly*

Filename for DCI Output File (max = 8 chars, without .DCI): mana3
DCI File copyable? (Y/N) y
Filename that appears in VMU directory (max = 12 chars): SeikenDen3
VMI Program Description (max = 32 chars): Seiken Densetsu 3
VMI Copyright Information (max = 32 chars): MasterMan 2005

Writing DCI File...
Writing VMI File...
I have a HTML page with links for the VMI, accessed it by PW2.0 but it opens the file as plain text. DP gives a error when i try to open the same links.
My server has the apropriate MIME types

vmi application/x-dreamcast-vms-info
vms application/x-dreamcast-vms
(now that i see, the MIME was typed wrong, "aplication...")

Thanks for the hints, i'll read the page listed and tomorow i make more tests and post the results.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

There is a tool to make *.VMI files from *.VMS files. google "vmiwriter_03.zip" I forget who wrote it.
Vash*The*Stampede
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

:o WOW... So you ACTUALLY decided to take the long route to making the files... You know, that actually might be your problem. :wink: :wink: Taking VMS files and turning them into DCI files and then back into VMS files then to create VMI files just doesn't sound like a very smart idea.

The katana filenames are VERY IMPORTANT. If you don't name them correctly you won't be able to use them without renaming them to the correct name. They can easily be found in the VMU section of your Dreamcast BIOS (of course, with the game save file in a VMU that's connected to a controller).

For example, Trizeal's katana filename is 'TRIZEAL_DATA' & a Shenmue II file one save would be 'SHENMUE2_000'. They are never more then 12 characters long (and usually only 12 characters long). Also make sure that they are made into 'data' files, 'game' files only include things like mini-games that you can play on your VMU and such.

I honestly have never used a web browser to upload the data files back to my VMU, so I can't help you with any problems there.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Ok, sorry to sound too dumb, it's my first time meshing with saves.
But i already got it to download well using PW2, didn't tryed DP yet.

1. Got the saves in the mail sent straight from the DC;
2. Renamed them as 8.3 format, appending the .VMS extencion. They _MUST_ be 8.3;
3. Using DCI_VMI.COM, made VMIs for them, with the 12 chars names (katana names) i saw in vmsbrowser;
4. Linked the VMIs in a html document.

It downloaded pefectly in my VMU :D

Now i got a bit more indepth.
I have made in php, a form to accept file uploads and store them in my PC. It works wonders in PC, Firefox or IE.
But the "<input type='file'>" doesn't work in the DC, it shows just like a "text" input, or when a input have no "type" declared.
But visiting Blueswirl, i see a "file" that works and let you select a file from the connected VMUs. My input is identical to it.

Also, when i hit "submit" it says host can't be accessed and doesn't show the php page i have as the "action" of the form.

Lastly, can someone help me write a php script that writes VMIs for the submited VMSs?

Sadly, seems like this part of DC is vanishing from the internet, is a pain to find valuable info.
Feel free to PM me and add me to msn, so i can show what i have so far.

Cheers
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

hi,

i don't have a php script, but i do have a .cgi script you can look over. all the needed files are here.

http://s91881033.onlinehome.us/heezy/vmu/

a good look of it in action is here,
http://s91881033.onlinehome.us/heezy/

you can only upload and download from a DC browser tho.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Ok, thanks hrb2k3, but i'm very very poor when it comes to PERL.
At least i could see the right input type to read from VMU is "VMfile", not "file'".
What i think is a php script which receives a 12 charrs long file from VMU and renames it as a 8.3 VMS file. From here i just need to have another function that writes a VMI file for this VMS. I need to know what to write in a VMI.

My worst problem is that i get very confused in getting and using a pre-made code. I need to find my own way, and i'm almmost sure i can do this with php.

Thank you for the neat examples :D
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

if you need info for VMS and VMI files, check this site,

http://mc.pp.se/dc/sw.html
DC FoReVeR.!!!
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Well, after some research, i got in contact with great speud, who mantain the BlueSwirl great site.
He showed me some php functions in a library, and a example form to pass the saves to the php script.

I still have some doubts i need to clear up.

1. Using DreamPassport 2, i acessed my webserver, filled the form and sent a vm save to the server ok. But it messed the filenames i gave in the form with japanese characters. Maybe due to character encoding settings i need to tweak. But where?

2. The weirdest thing even. Using Planetweb 2.0, i got to the form, filled it and submited, after some time trying to load the target php page (containing the script), it hangs with the error "The host is not responding. Please try again later.".
But the file DOES upload to my PC server. VMI+VMS pair does get created and works fine.

I have the HTML form like this:

<form method=post action=upload.php enctype=multipart/form-data>
<input size=15 type=vmfile name=vmdata>
<input type=text name=user>
<input type=text name=resource maxlength=8 onChange=this.value=this.value.toUpperCase()>
<input type=submit value=send name=submit>
<input type=reset value=clear>
</form>
Also i realized every form with the enctype=multipart/form-data does the same in PW2.
Can someone help me in this?

speud can't reply my e-mails, as he said he was busy with something. But he helped me a lot, and i'll advertise BlueSwirl in my site when it gets done.
paulbecky2004
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by paulbecky2004 »

i tried doing this a few years back, then accessing the page from my DC browser to copy them, all to no avail. didnt seem to work, even when i just emptied my memory card onto a site and posted links, none worked.
Bringing MAME and Dreamcast together...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mamedccabinet