May Day Bank Holiday Teaser

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

May Day Bank Holiday Teaser

Post by Warmtoe »

Well, I've been working on something new - you never know, maybe I will get this one finished :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ian_edward ... teaser.zip

If you have feedback I'd like to hear it - there are graphical problems with this PC based demo (z-ordering problem) and no sound - rest assured, the DC version doesn't have those problems and has sound!

The graphics come from a PC re-make of robotron by Tevor 'Smila' Storey and I am fully authorized to use them - he has done some fantastic remakes of classic games, check out his site too on: http://www.merseyremakes.co.uk/
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I thought the game was fun (after I figured out which keys are used to fire ;)) & it looks pretty good too, looking foward to seeing this on the DC.

Here's a file mirror:

http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/files/dcrt_teaser.zip
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

w00t my man ice88 back in the GAME!!!!

It appears you have changed the name since we last discussed? :) See you've got the diagonals in there as well. Looks great!

now about that game in your sig...
Last edited by impetus on Tue May 04, 2004 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC's Champion
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DC's Champion »

Looks pretty crappy to me to be honest.
"Amiga, NES, SMS and all other retro consoles should be burned, spat on, stomped and forgotten. The future lies within a 3-dimensional realm...not simplistic cutout sprites."- Dc's Champion.

The only REAL hardcore Sega fan on the entire globe.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

DC's Champion wrote:Looks pretty crappy to me to be honest.
... Its the thought that counts and any contribution to the DC scene is better then none. I will be waiting for you great game...
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

So does your user name.

Ouch! Burn! :twisted:

It definately looks like it could be a cool game in time. It's definately neat so far. Keep it up. :)
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

*grovels* :worship: O wise one, thou speakest the truth! Show us the way to enlightenment! I beg thee master to teach thy humble student the ways of game development! :worship: :worship:
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Can you be more specific - feedback is a good thing when it's constructive and qualified. I am pleased with what's there so far, so if you can point out what needs to be changed I'd appreciate it.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

It's Good Warmtoe! good job mate.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Cool can someone post screenshots please :D I love Robotron.
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Here are a couple of screenshots:

DC's Champion
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DC's Champion »

For one, it looks really old school and not like a game that should even be on the Dreamcast. I like my share of 2D enhanced games, but graphically..it's horrible.

And why are all these "underground developers" (the technologically inferior) working on 2D titles?! I mean c'mon, if you want 2D then go to the Saturn and see the most beautiful 2D of all time.
It's like I'm always asking myself "When the hell are these morons gonna create a 3D fighter?" (I'm not calling you a moron)

:roll: And everyone here keeps bashing me turn after turn just because I think differently.
Damn, would you rather me kiss Ice's a$$ or pretend like I like something when I don't? I'm being truthful.

Good luck developing games, Ice.
"Amiga, NES, SMS and all other retro consoles should be burned, spat on, stomped and forgotten. The future lies within a 3-dimensional realm...not simplistic cutout sprites."- Dc's Champion.

The only REAL hardcore Sega fan on the entire globe.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

Ice88, i like it but: why do this game when we have DCSmash ? why not do something fresh ? =) just my thought, what we need is a tron racing game hehe
ImageImage
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

DC's Champion wrote:For one, it looks really old school and not like a game that should even be on the Dreamcast. I like my share of 2D enhanced games, but graphically..it's horrible.

And why are all these "underground developers" (the technologically inferior) working on 2D titles?! I mean c'mon, if you want 2D then go to the Saturn and see the most beautiful 2D of all time.
It's like I'm always asking myself "When the hell are these morons gonna create a 3D fighter?" (I'm not calling you a moron)

:roll: And everyone here keeps bashing me turn after turn just because I think differently.
Damn, would you rather me kiss Ice's a$$ or pretend like I like something when I don't? I'm being truthful.

You don't think differently your just an immature asshole that doesn't know how to give someone constructive criticism and you just joined last month.. you have no reputation to justify such stupid statements. Trying to use the excuse as "thinking differently" for you rude and childish feedback on a game is quite pathetic. And here is for my stupid quote of the day

"For one, it looks really old school and not like a game that should even be on the Dreamcast"

I think all the veteran dcemulation and maybe some of the newer people realize how ignorant this statement is and how meaningless it makes anything else that comes out of your mouth.
This statement makes no sense posted on a website of dcemulation when some our favorite things is playing "old school" games on the dreamcast, and also homebrew. The atari, the nes, commodore 64, the Intellivision and every other one i didn't mention.

My friend started coding and made a simplistic game, first he made tetris clone, then he made a shooter that look like a cross between atari and nes. When I saw his game did i say, "it looks horrible, the graphics look horrible"? No because I saw the hardwork and beauty of the game, and I truly thought it was cool. So as you see I guess i'm quite different then you.

Homebrew that looks oldschool and dcemulaton is what this website is all about and if you can't handle that I suggest you find another place to find what you consider entertainment.

Ice88 , continue your great work on the dreamcast, what you have contributed so far is great and everyday is a stepping stone to something better. Maybe your game isn't the sharpest looking game, but I know your dedicated to doing the best, I love you contributions and hope to continue to see great things in the future. I think it's all important that we work together if Ice88 whould like help designing certaio parts in his game like graphics for his game then we should all work together, i've seen this work in the past and it's what makes dcemulation a great website.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

DC's Champion wrote:For one, it looks really old school and not like a game that should even be on the Dreamcast. I like my share of 2D enhanced games, but graphically..it's horrible.

Before you open your mouth again to bash the hard work of others, develop a game that meets the criteria you're placing on others. It's not like the Homebrew developers have large budgets, big teams, and all the time in the world to do what they do. It's a hobby, usually done in whatever free time is left after working a job and/or going to school, and it's done because the developers enjoy making games. Until you can show us through your own work that it's easy, kindly STFU.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

DC's Champion wrote:Damn, would you rather me kiss Ice's a$$ or pretend like I like something when I don't? I'm being truthful.
How about this:

Ice88, it's good to see you making games again, but the graphics are too simplistic for my liking. It would be good if you made the games in 3D.

It's constructive criticism, not complete bashing. No one is going to bash your posts if you don't act like a jackass.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

Very cool Ice, I love the graphics and the old school feel.

What is May Day Bank Holiday?

Troy
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

OK - I hear what you're saying about the simplicity of the graphics. I hear it, but I disagree (!).

Personally I don't like 3D games - I think it's my age! You know the main reason for writing this is that I own an Arcade machine into which I've plugged the DC, and I want to play robotron at something approaching full speed with 2 joysticks!!!! I was actually considering using the original graphics from robotron.

Heyho - If anyone wants to produce me some more graphics for this thing I'd love to take them - It's not going to go 3D, but I'll accept that the graphics don't strike people.

And just as a quick note - I may get back to trigger happy and sprint some time - right now I'm inspired to write something, and the something I'm inspired to write is this.

The next thing I want to write is burger time!!!! (check out the avatar!)

Actually, I think trigger happy could really benefit from the lightgun code from revolver - I must try and kick Vortexx and get that code :-)
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

Hey theres nothing wrong with old school graphics, infact some of the oldest games are the best so give em a try :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Hey Ice, this game looks pretty sweet, I cant wait for it! One thing though (im sure its temporary anyway) is the explosions and the black box surrounding them (is this one of the graphical problems on the pc you talked about?). Anyway good luck with that.

Burger time! Is that the game where you had to catch the ingedients of burgers in the right order? If so I loved that game, I remember playing it on my really old pc lol. That would be pretty cool on the DC.

Nice one Ice