Can somebody show me a good COMPLETE tutorial.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Can somebody show me a good COMPLETE tutorial.

Post by GyroVorbis »

I just found this site today. I just got a Dreamcast the other day. I have a PS2. After visiting this site I believe that Dreamcast is the best console in the world. EMULATION? For Dreamcast? Awesome! I'm fourteen. I'm so confused. I keep looking at guides. I need something that isn't partial. A guide that'll take me through the whole process of burning something for the dreamcast and using/playing it. Will you please help?

Oh, and I'm curious. How do you make an app or something for dreamcast? C++? Assembly?
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by curt_grymala »

Check out my web site ( http://www.sesonsite.com/Ten-321/DCStuff/ ). There are some tutorials there. A few people have said that they are very helpful. Also, check out http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/ He has some pretty good tutorials there, too.

I am not really qualified to answer your question about programming. I will leave that up to someone like BlackAura or OneThirty8. You should check out the "Programming Discussion" forum, though, for a little info on that.

EDIT - The tutorials from my web site that I recommend are:

"How To Use Selfboot Inducer"
and
"How To Use CDRecord"

Those should get you through the whole process.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

curt_grymala wrote:I am not really qualified to answer your question about programming. I will leave that up to someone like BlackAura or OneThirty8.
BlackAura is way more qualified than I, but this question is general enough that I can answer it. C/C++ are the most commonly used. The only other option Assembly, which you mentioned, but bear in mind that SH4 ASM is a different beast than X86 ASM.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Thank you. I downloaded DreamNES. I've never seen anything like that in my life. That is the greatest thing ever. Dreamcast development is my destiny! I do have some C++ experience but where do I start? Curt, you had great tutorials. I got done what I wanted. Thanx for answering my question OneThirty8. But where do, say, the creators of DreamSNES learn how to do this? What do you do with C++ to get it onto the dreamcast and start developing? God, I never respected my Dreamcast so much in my life! THE BEST CONSOLE EVER!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Some places to start looking for tools or info:

If you're on Linux, then Try BlackAura's build script. That should download everything for you, compile it, and clean up after itself.

If you're a Windows user, you've got to jump through a couple of small hoops, but in my experience this is more a matter of being 'time consuming' than 'difficult.' The thing is, the tools we use are designed for Unix-type systems, so we have to emulate one.

Of these, the most commonly used is Cygwin. If you choose this method, simply download their setup program and run it. Then, select a mirror from the list and download as much as you can of it. The whole thing is huge, but you'll want the base package, all of the 'devel' section, and whatever section wget is found in. Then, use BlackAura's build script.

Another option if you're a Windows user is MinGW. BlueCrab has the info on that.

Also, if you check the recent posts in our Programming Discussion forum, there are some people using Dev-C++ to develop for Dreamcast with varying degrees of success.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Thank you.
Man, people at this forum are nice as crap! I've never been treated so good before. Most people would of ripped my head off from my ignorance. I have to link to this place or something.
my website: http://thechaosrift.com
Lots of video game goods. I need more DC related stuff!
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Oh and hey, I got Cygwin (Yes, my poor soul is on Windows). It asks me all of these packages and crap that I want to install. I want to install the minimun necessary. Can you tell me what needs to be installed for DC development with BlackAura's Build Script?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You need wget (a command-line download program) which is in there somewhere, and the script uses it to fetch the source code for GCC, Binutils, Newlib and KOS.

You also need libjpeg, libpng, zlib, and the development libraries associated with them.
Specially Cork

Re: Can somebody show me a good COMPLETE tutorial.

Post by Specially Cork »

WOW :o
Christuserloeser

Re:

Post by Christuserloeser »

GyroVorbis wrote:I downloaded DreamNES. I've never seen anything like that in my life. That is the greatest thing ever. Dreamcast development is my destiny. God, I never respected my Dreamcast so much in my life! THE BEST CONSOLE EVER!
^ I felt much the same (aside of the development part that is). Easily one of the best posts on this entire forum :grin:
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Nice work Corky.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:Nice work Corky.

It was bumped because I posted it on the Elysian Shadows facebook ;)
It's thinking...
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Damn noobs... :nono:
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Nice work Darky.
Insane homebrew collector.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Quite an example of Peter Norvig's advice in action.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube