Important Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 W.I.P. news

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Important Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 W.I.P. news

Post by Freeze »

After months and months of delays and problems we finally have good news about the Dreamcast Demo Disc #01: In exactly 4 weeks the production will start and you will be able to get it about 5 weeks at Lik-Sang.

First I want to make a call-out for all programmers who wants to see their game / app / demo / whatever on the disc, please send it to us until end this month!! I also prepered some kind of FAQ for the DDD#01 if you don't have a clue what it's all about...

---

What is the Dreamcast Demo Disc #01?
It's a kind of compilation of the best Dreamcast games / applications / demos / emulators / interpreters which run directly on the Dreamcast. This compilation will be released on a high quality silver CD-ROM, 2.000 pcs. will be produced and it's a free gift for every Dreamcast order at Lik-Sang.

What's the goal of this compilation?
Of course to give the people out there straight fun with YOUR software. We also hope to reach gamers who haven't ever be in touch with the scene or doesn't have an internet connection or a CD burner.

I heard you had an agreement with some bands that will appear with some songs on the disc as well, tell me more about it.
Indeed, the Austrian ska punk band "J*A*N feat. U.D.S.S.R." (http://www.janfeatudssr.com) will be present with three songs as well as L-Dopa, a German modern jazz pop with their latest complete album! Some other bands and tracks will propably follow, but we can't tell you anymore about it yet. If you're asking yourself why there are those tracks on the disc, don't forget that we have a MP3 / OGG player on the disc and that there's a swap disc feature in Feet of Fury... *winks*

Will it have a case or plastic slipcase?
We haven't decided that yet, but we try to get a case so that it perfectly fits into your Dreamcast game collection.

I want to be on the disc as well, can I send you my two color pong clone?
Sorry to be this honest now, but because there are so many "simple" games out there and the space on the disc is very limited, we can't promise you to add your software as well. Don't be mad at us, but we want to offer the customers out there only the best stuff, so a two colored pong clone, or a production without sound won't fit on the CD unfortunately.

I want to have my software on your disc, what to do?
Just send me an email at max (AT) dreamcast-scene (DOT) com and we're talking about everything else.

I want to offer your my production but I want to see big bucks for it!!
I am sorry but we aren't a big company which can throw the money out of the window. In fact we have a very small budget and we're rely to the help of our supporters and you of course.

What do I have to pay attention to if I want to send you my software?
It has to run on a NTSC J, NTSC US and PAL Dreamcast without any problems or limitations. A 50/60 Hz mode is NOT a must because most people in Europe does have a 60 Hz television and it's a standard in Europe for a long time.

My program is very buggy, can it go on the disc at well?
Those are unique decisions. To be honest it isn't very enjoyable to have a buggy version but we find a solution for sure.

My program is written with the official Katana development kit, can I...
...no way!! Please only 100% legal productions.

Will I be famous if I would support you with my software?
Haha... well... yeah of course... but serious: The TV station "NBC Europe" agreed to show the Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 and it's content for at least 15 minutes and we also got some new international press contacts, so it would not be that surprising if you would see an article about it in videogame magazines.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Re: Important Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 W.I.P. news

Post by MetaFox »

Freeze wrote:After months and months of delays and problems we finally have good news about the Dreamcast Demo Disc #01: In exactly 4 weeks the production will start and you will be able to get it about 5 weeks at Lik-Sang.
Cool beans. :)

I was wondering about this. I'm going to be working my butt off to try to get a demo for everything I'm working on ready for the disc.
Freeze wrote:The TV station "NBC Europe" agreed to show the Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 and it's content for at least 15 minutes and we also got some new international press contacts, so it would not be that surprising if you would see an article about it in videogame magazines.
This is huge. :)

I definately don't want to miss out. 8-)
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Wow this is gonna be great for the scene! Im glad to see this happen. When you say dreamcast order do you mean the console or do you mean anything dreamcast related. Thanks a lot and great work to everyone involved.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

nice.
very nice ;)
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

Hmmm well it should run on the Dreamcast, means I don't think we add programs which are releated to the Dreamcast (for example VMU logo editors) but run on Win32 or Linux or whatever.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

oOo but i have nothing to include :cry: lol
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It'd be nice if these things showed up when I had something working. As it is, I have nothing I'd consider worth publishing, or even releasing.

Still... If I can get the chunk of code I'm currently working on (a fairly portable game library thingy using a scripting language to control most of the actual game), I might be able to come up with something. It's currently a heap of code I'd written for the DreamOn game (the "in" heap), a heap of completely different code which does parts of the same thing (the "out" heap), some glue code to hold bits of it together (which is not sticky enough to properly hold things together yet), and some scripting stuff which is mostly unconnected to anything else. Just experimental stuff really, and it doesn't do that much yet. Come to think of it, most of it doesn't work on the Dreamcast at all yet.
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

BlackAura, thanks a lot for your loyal support! :) But please remember that's only 4 weeks to go, but as far as I know your Doom port is still the best on out there on the DC so far, right? Can we use it as well, and do you know some very good freeware WADs which works with it?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

You can use any thing from my site on your disks if you like Radquake etc. I dont mind at all. Any thing to help Mr freeze.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Mikey242 wrote:Wow this is gonna be great for the scene! Im glad to see this happen. When you say dreamcast order do you mean the console or do you mean anything dreamcast related. Thanks a lot and great work to everyone involved.
Sorry i was a bit unclear. What I meant is would we get the disc as a gift when we buy the dreamcast or when we buy anything dreamcast related (Game, Controller etc.)

Thanks a lot
Styrofoam
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Styrofoam »

At last ....Thanx Max .. erh ... Freeze, great work. Can't wait to get my hands on this baby :)
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

Mikey242 wrote:
Mikey242 wrote:Wow this is gonna be great for the scene! Im glad to see this happen. When you say dreamcast order do you mean the console or do you mean anything dreamcast related. Thanks a lot and great work to everyone involved.
Sorry i was a bit unclear. What I meant is would we get the disc as a gift when we buy the dreamcast or when we buy anything dreamcast related (Game, Controller etc.)

Thanks a lot
Whatever Dreamcast related you order... examples...

Code: Select all

2 Xbox games
+ 1 Dreamcast game
= you'll get the DDD#01 for free

1 Dreamcast controller
+ 1 GBA system
= the DDD#01 is yours as well

3 GameCube games
+ 1 Xbox system
+ 1 GBA game
= nope. No DC article.
You would even get it if you are only ordering the US$9.95 Sonic Adventure 2 game.

@Styrofoam: No prob, heh... =) But after all, you have to thank the creators of the software more than me.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Freeze wrote:BlackAura, thanks a lot for your loyal support! :) But please remember that's only 4 weeks to go, but as far as I know your Doom port is still the best on out there on the DC so far, right? Can we use it as well, and do you know some very good freeware WADs which works with it?
Actually, good idea. I can probably get a (slightly) updated and/or bug-fixed version working with some freeware WAD files before then. If you've got a decent base WAD file (FreeDoom should be getting there by now) you can use most Doom TCs or additional levels without too much effort.

HacX is pretty much a complete WAD, and I did get that to work without a commercial Doom WAD file. It just didn't work perfectly. That'd probably be a good start. As far as I remember, it needed a couple of data files from FreeDoom, and a slightly modified engine because it didn't have the same number of levels as Doom 2.

I might be able to get something else cobbled together, and I do have a couple of decent ideas which would be simple to implement if I get everything else working properly, but I'm not holding my breath for that. I'd die of oxygen starvation before I managed to do any more work on it.
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

Wow what would rock indeed. :) But what about those addons on your website? Aren't they also legal to use? http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/d ... .php#Doom2
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Maybe. Most of them'll probably work. I'd need to check them to make sure. However, I know that FreeDoom and HacX can be freeley distributed. I don't thing FreeDoom itself will run though - it's levels use Boom specific stuff, which nxDoom doesn't support.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Sweet, thanks Freeze.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

this is great, but you should have waited untill after the contest was over for a bit (DreamOn).
Haha... well... yeah of course... but serious: The TV station "NBC Europe" agreed to show the Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 and it's content for at least 15 minutes and we also got some new international press contacts, so it would not be that surprising if you would see an article about it in videogame magazines.
Someone better capture that!!!! I want to see it really badly, but am in the US.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

quzar wrote:this is great, but you should have waited untill after the contest was over for a bit (DreamOn).
Well, the deadline for submissions for the disc is the end of March, and the contest ends on March 17, so the authors of the games could get a demo out for the CD by then. :)
quzar wrote:Someone better capture that!!!! I want to see it really badly, but am in the US.
Seconded! This will be awesome to see. :)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

lol, im sooo not used to that new avatar of yours metafox =P
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

Uhhh, that was MetaFox?

Indeed! Now you told me, heh. I almost thought you disappeared. :D