Dream On - Dreamcast Game Contest

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by OneThirty8 »

Szczepaniak wrote:Beaten by a Mahjong game? Cool.
Thank you ladies and gentlemen, Im off to sit in an empty bath tub with a bottle of Scotch. :|
Come on, man. Don't be a poor sport about it. Dan Potter said good things about your game over at CV, MetaFox said that none of the entries sucked, and they had certain criteria. Chalk it up to experience, polish it up, and then get it in for the GOAT contest. :wink:
When you think about it, you guys started pretty late with your game. The contest started many months ago, so the fact that you had something complete enough to enter at all in such a short time is an accomplishment. I started on a game back in October and never finished it.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

The Inhabitants you can download is a VERY early demo that was released by Brandon Parker in December. This is NOT the final version of Inhabitants DC. There are many more features in the final version. :)

- Fuzmeister
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Congrats (and a w00t! or two) to Steve and Brandon et al at S+F, I believed in you guys from the start! :) I am proud of even the rather tiny role I played in helping you dudes. Rock on!!!

And congrats to everyone else who entered as well for your accomplishments. JMD, your entrry came as a surprise and 'm looking forward to it as well!

Szczepaniak, I think your placement is not so much a lack of quality as it is that you simply were ineligible according to the rules. Cheer up, you've got an awesome game there!
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

Now all these games are gonna be published on a cd in their final verisons right? and, im assuming its gonna be selfbootable as well. and, where and how much will the cd be. thankx
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

the #1 and #2 winners will be published by the GOAT Store and promoted for the Midwest Gaming Classic. As for other titles, Dan said he's interested in publishing more, but just being in the contest does not gurantee a publishing. (Most of this has been discussed in the last few pages of this thread so you might read back a bit).

As for prices, Feet of Fury debuted at $20 (and is now going for $15), which may or may not mean anything at all.

Give Dan and the boys some time to make plans. ;)
Last edited by impetus on Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

alright thankx impetus cant wait to play all the new games when they're released. i love to see what people develope
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

The contest version of whispered secrets will be a selfboot cdi image on my site later today version 2 may or maynot be pick up for publising it will be what version 1 wanted to be with 3d interactive scenes and other gameplay parts i guess an amiga style game these days is out of date.
Dreamcast forever!!!
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

Hey all,

Congrats to the winners! All of the games were really excellent entrants and I was really impressed by all of them! I really have enjoyed playing them all :)

I'm working on getting the final details together between the pressing company and ourselves, which is always an interesting dance. A preorder page should be up within the next five days for each of the winners.

I was pleasantly surprised by all of the entries. I spent a long time playing each one of them, and they all had their good and their bad points.

And because Szczepaniak has said we could talk about TG a little, here was my take (I was not a judge, so my opinions will not be included with the ones that MetaFox is sending out...)

I liked the ideas behind Trampalien Gunmen a lot, and for the game that it was, it was very fun. The problem that crippled TG was that it didn't have a one player mode, and it wasn't very deep. While the game itself is really fun to play against someone else (Gary and I took eachother on for about an hour with it yesterday), it didn't have a one player mode and didn't seem that it could get too much deeper.

I've heard about the ideas that you have for the expanded version, and I think that with a lot of work TG could be a standalone release. The problem is, as someone pointed out, we are fronting a ton of money to have these games pressed very soon. Most people that play Dreamcast are hard to sell a game too.

It wasn't that TG wasn't fun, it just didn't have enough time to have much to it. I'm sure that with some more spit and polish it could become a really great game!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I had to many troubles the game i wanted to enter was distroyed so i had to get whispered secrets out in 5 days from a project that i wanted to take 6 months on so of course it did not included every thing i wanted just did not have the time at all.

Version 2 will have 3d grafix and some really neat things it was fun to make a deadline but i do wish i could of got the game i wanted entered..

Any ways good luck to every one winners and runners up it was fun next time we all will do that much better.. :D
Dreamcast forever!!!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well ive had troubles uploading the game so the public release has slipped sorry.. with the neogeo emu taking most of my time and the game being over 21 meg on a 56k takes about 4 hours to upload and i keep geting dissconntected.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

So, are all of the entries going to be compiled on a single CD (be it commercial or freeware) or not? If you are, maybe the contest authors could contact the guys at DCEvolution, they have made some pretty nice compilation releases.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

i answered this about 6 posts ago. :wink:
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Not really, you said:
the #1 and #2 winners will be published by the GOAT Store and promoted for the Midwest Gaming Classic. As for other titles, Dan said he's interested in publishing more, but juts being in the contest does not gurantee a publishing.
So the only ones that will surely be released are #1 and #2 and on separate CDs at that if I understood correctly. Will all the winners be released to the general public? I already am downloading "Whispered Secrets", what about the others?
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Gav-X wrote:Not really, you said:
the #1 and #2 winners will be published by the GOAT Store and promoted for the Midwest Gaming Classic. As for other titles, Dan said he's interested in publishing more, but juts being in the contest does not gurantee a publishing.
So the only ones that will surely be released are #1 and #2 and on separate CDs at that if I understood correctly. Will all the winners be released to the general public? I already am downloading "Whispered Secrets", what about the others?
It's up to the authors. Trampalien Gunmen DC, Whispered Secrets, and an early build/demo of Inhabitants are available.

Maqiupai and Inhabitants are going to be sold through the Goat Store.

And, as far as I know, Boll is being worked on to add some polish to what was submitted for the contest. However, whether it is for public release or future commercial consideration, I'm not sure.
Szczepaniak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Szczepaniak »

Hi, graphics man and concept designer for TG here. :)

An early release of Trampalien Gunmen is available at:
http://www.storm-studios.net/GPF/tramp.htm

If you click the forum link on that page, you can read topics on what we're adding to the game, we also have images of our current added charatcer designs. Final vision for the game is akin to StreetFighter in case your interested, with selectablke charatcers with different traits, endings, bonus games, and a whole slew of other neato ideas.

Goto the forum and check it out, post your thoughts etc.

Rest assured, we're working hard on the project still, regardless of what some may think of it.

Happy easter all. :)
http://www.storm-studios.net
- visit them, they have trampolines, everyone loves trampolines, trust me.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

It's time I got this info out! I'll be announcing this in their own posts at some point tomorrow, unless someone else wants to do that for me :) It's way late now and I need to get some sleep!

GOAT Store Publishing announces release date for two new Dreamcast games

Dreamcast fans should mark the date of May 22nd on their calendars, as GOAT Store Publishing will be releasing two new Dreamcast games on that date! The two games are Inhabitants and Maqiupai, the winners of the first ever Dream On contest that was put together by Cyberdog Castle (http://dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com/).

?We are extremely excited to continue to publish great Dreamcast titles,? stated Gary Heil of the GOAT Store, LLC. ?The Dreamcast homebrew community has incredible talent, and we are honored to be publishing Inhabitants and Maqiupai through our GOAT Store Publishing division.?

Inhabitants from S+F Software will put your skills to the test as you work your way through level after level of tile clearing action! Inhabitants is a puzzle game in which you need to clear as many tiles off the screen as possible, while getting special combos to score more points. After you master the game by yourself, take on your friends in two player mode, or if you are really daring four player mode! Do you have what it takes to get rid of the Inhabitants before they infest your Dreamcast?

Maqiupai from JMD is the centuries old game of Mahjong updated for your Dreamcast. Easy to learn, tough to master, all that you need to do is match the tiles to clear the board. Of course, the clock will be working to stop you from achieving your goal. Can you complete every challenge that Maqiupai will face you with? This is the ultimate Mahjong game for the ultimate system!

Preorders for the games have begun to be accepted as of April 21, 2004 through the GOAT Store, LLC Web site. Both Inhabitants and Maqiupai will be officially released at this year?s Midwest Gaming Classic event in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Preorders will ship on May 24th. Dreamcast is a trademark of Sega Enterprises, Ltd. Both Inhabitants and Maqiupai are not sponsored, endorsed or affiliated with Sega. For more information, please contact Dan Loosen at loosen@goatstore.com, or visit the GOAT Store Web site at http://www.goatstore.com/. Preordering information for Inhabitants may be found at http://www.goatstore.com/info.php?id=372010 and Maqiupai may be found at http://www.goatstore.com/info.php?id=372020 The Midwest Gaming Classic may be found at http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com. More information on GOAT Store Publishing as well as multiple new titles for the Dreamcast will be made available in the near future.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

This just in!

Get coupons for preordering Inhabitants and Maqiupai

Customers who preorder either of the newly announced GOAT Store Publishing Dreamcast releases Inhabitants or Maqiupai will receive a 5% off coupon that can be applied to any future purchase that the person makes through the GOAT Store, LLC's Web site. Preordering both games will give the customer a 10% off coupon!

The coupons are a one-time use coupon that may only be used on the GOAT Store, LLC online Web site (http://www.goatstore.com/). Only one coupon may be used per order. The coupon will be seperately generated and sent to the customer within 72 hours of the placing of the preorder.

Preorders for the games are being accepted through the GOAT Store, LLC Web site. Both Inhabitants and Maqiupai will be officially released at this year?s Midwest Gaming Classic event in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Preorders will ship on May 24th. Dreamcast is a trademark of Sega Enterprises, Ltd. Both Inhabitants and Maqiupai are not sponsored, endorsed or affiliated with Sega. For more information, please contact Dan Loosen at loosen@goatstore.com, or visit the GOAT Store Web site at http://www.goatstore.com/. Preordering information for Inhabitants may be found at http://www.goatstore.com/info.php?id=372010 and Maqiupai may be found at http://www.goatstore.com/info.php?id=372020 The Midwest Gaming Classic may be found at http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/ . More information on GOAT Store Publishing as well as multiple new titles for the Dreamcast will be made available in the near future.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Maybe the people that entered the contest like me and troy davis, Szczepaniak
And the others should get a copy of the winning game i think that's prolly a good idea. What do you think. Just a thought..

:mrgreen:
Dreamcast forever!!!
Szczepaniak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Szczepaniak »

Well, without the losers, (us), there would be no winners! :mrgreen:
So yes, probably a good idea methinks.
Mr Micheal, ingenius idea even if I do say so myself.

EDIT:
For anyone interested, as one of the writers for
http://www.NTSC-UK.com

I will be mentioning and linking to the winners of the competition.
Once we were locked in mortal combat for the glory of the prize, and now Im writing a cool feature on you guys. 8-)
Feel free to shower me in praise should you so desire.
http://www.storm-studios.net
- visit them, they have trampolines, everyone loves trampolines, trust me.