Dream On - Dreamcast Game Contest

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Dream On - Dreamcast Game Contest

Post by MetaFox »

Riding on the impending release of the first homebrew-oriented Dreamcast print magazine, Dream On, and the correlation of the official opening of Cyberdog Castle on November 27 to celebrate the Dreamcast's 5th birthday, I am organizing a contest.

The contest will be to create a complete Dreamcast game by the end of the year (December 31, 2003). This means full gameplay, graphics, music, sound, menus, the works. I know that this may seem like a steep requirement, but the reward is well worth it. The prize will be $25US plus a commercial run of your game on professionally pressed CDs. So, get those groups together, and lets see the Dreamcast homebrew community shine. :D

A page will be erected on Cyberdog Castle's site soon, but for now - feel free to express your desire to enter the contest here, in this thread on the Consolevision forums, or in this thread on the boob! forums.
Last edited by MetaFox on Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape
Been thanked: 0

Post by OneThirty8 »

This sounds like a great idea. I'll see if I can come up with something.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Hmm... interesting. If I can get the time (and I should, since I only have 4 more weeks on Uni this year) I'll see what I can come up with.

Any limitations on this thing? Guidelines? Rules? That kind of thing?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

IF i have the time and can do it i might give it a go. :D
Dreamcast forever!!!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

BlackAura wrote:Hmm... interesting. If I can get the time (and I should, since I only have 4 more weeks on Uni this year) I'll see what I can come up with.

Any limitations on this thing? Guidelines? Rules? That kind of thing?
Nope, it's basically a free for all. The only rules are that it's a complete game. And, of course that it's original and not a port or an emulator.

Other than that, anything your heart desires. More than one entry per person/team is acceptable as well.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Complete means what more then 4 levels title screen vmu score saving music and a mpeg intro? I have a number of incomplete games ive written. Tetris breakout space invaders etc. I could get one finshed but to what standed i dont know and what is finshed i Think a small guideline mayhelp? :?

Thanks for the good idea I will let you know if i get any thing worth you selling.
Dreamcast forever!!!
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

I maye be able to do some graphics.. 3D or otherwise for some people... if I can find spare time :)
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

Ian Micheal wrote:Complete means what more then 4 levels title screen vmu score saving music and a mpeg intro? I have a number of incomplete games ive written. Tetris breakout space invaders etc. I could get one finshed but to what standed i dont know and what is finshed i Think a small guideline mayhelp? :?

Thanks for the good idea I will let you know if i get any thing worth you selling.
Wouldn't complete be based off the creators opinion? If the game is only meant to have 4 levels why make more? That's my take on completeness anyway.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah Thats what i think but when its a freefull all and a game with 20 levels looks better then 4. dont you think most times levels or worlds makes you buy it or not.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

It really depends on Value for me.
Value = Playtime - Cost

4 levels might be a bit few, but 8 would be able to keep people entertained for a good while, plus if it has a good replay value then the playtime becomes incredibly high!

It really depends on the story/point of the game I guess. A game where you only try to beat your high score I would probably rather see more levels, but if it has a story for each level then adding more levels might take away from the story making the game less entertaining. Adding in Bonus/secret levels wouldn't be bad though.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Since it's a free-for-all, it doesn't matter how many levels there are, as long as it's polished. Like Lord_Ball stated, it won't depend on how many levels are in the game, but rather gameplay and substance.

Although the requirement is to create a polished game, don't feel discouraged if you can't come up with fancy 3D graphics or Final Fantasy-quality FMV videos.

Gameplay is what counts. :mrgreen:
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Wow,this is great :)
This will surely keep the DC Homebrew scene healthy and we will some really original game ideas now,not just rehashes/remakes of known old arcade/PC games.
Or we may see a new ambitious RPG or Strategy game project ?
...if someone ever makes one,I'll finally get a chance to show my true composing power,doing the soundtrack (and possibly the sound effects) for the game.

This is very,very interesting...but $25 is kinda low...$50 would be the perfect prize,since with $50 you can buy a new DC :)
A shiny new DC seems the best reward for a contest like this.What do you think about it?
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I think the main draw was not the cash, but rather getting your game pressed.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I hope it does go well and we get some tasty games . Ive got ideas im just writing some test routines to see if it would work like i want not giving any thing away but if it works i might have a go at this. :D

Hey nakamichi $50 would be great are you puting up the other 25$ :mrgreen:
Dreamcast forever!!!
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

How will the voting be done? We all know a public poll doesn't work.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Man do I wish that ljsdcdev was a bit farther along....
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

ZacMc wrote:How will the voting be done? We all know a public poll doesn't work.
Exactly, and since this is a commercial pressed CD contest, some of the entrants might not wish to have their entries released freely to the public (of course, that's perfectly fine if you do :)).

There will be a non-biased panel of judges, as is done with many game contests. They are all hardcore gamers, and they will judge by merit.

The games can be submitted up until the deadline - and can be uploaded or mailed on CD-R. Once all entries are recieved, the judging panel will review all games, and the winner will be announced.

The names of the judging panel, names of the sponsers of the contest, mailing information, and such, will be revealed on the official webpage that is being set up for the contest as we speak.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Now I just need to think of what kind of game to do for this thing. I have a couple ideas I've been throwing around, but most of them would be too hard to get up and running within two and a half months. Plus I need something that I can start working on by myself, get the game up and running fairly quickly, and then go looking for assistance with art, music, and that kind of stuff. And it needs to be fun.

This is going to be tricky.
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by DJ Geki »

BlackAura wrote:This is going to be tricky.
That's true. It is going to be pretty tough getting a team and a game design all together in just a couple of months. If I do get to judge, I'll be taking that into account. Personally, I want to see vision more than completion. Yes, there must be some amount of polish (as that is the goal here, and one of MetaFox's stated convictions about the contest itself), but I'm not going to expect something with super phenomenal movies, music, AND gameplay. That's probably too much to ask for such a short period of time.

With all that said...GET TO WORK! You don't have much time left! And don't procrastinate, or you'll never finish in time.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I'll add some cash to the pot, since I said it'd be cool to have a paypal donations account setup for this...dunno how much yet, but i'll add in.
Last edited by DJ Geki on Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Love 'n Bass, Peace 'n Space-
Roddy T. - DJ Geki
Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Not sure what to do yet. Starting is allways the hardpart.
Dreamcast forever!!!