Dream On - Dreamcast Game Contest

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JuniorCrb »

sweet, now 2k4 kicks so much @$$
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

Hey everyone,

It is my turn to make a new announcement for the DreamON contest :) After speaking with MetaFox, we have decided that the second place entry into the DreamOn contest will also be produced and released on May 22nd at the Midwest Gaming Classic!

Also, if you are developing an entry for the DreamON contest (or just developing anything you might be interested in having released), please email me at loosen@goatstore.com so I can touch base with you. There will be no penalty if you do not, but I would really like to talk with you about a few things before March 17th :)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It looks like my entry is officially cancelled. Baldmonk's computer is broken, so he's unable to work on it anymore, and has probably lost pretty much everything he had on there. This marks the third hardware failure that's gotten in our way, and it's pretty much a show-stopper. So that's it - we can do no more work on it.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Ermm Really bad news It seems Computer hardware knows when to break at the worst times happen to me more then a few times as well.

Who is left in the contest now? :|
Dreamcast forever!!!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Ian Micheal wrote:Ermm Really bad news It seems Computer hardware knows when to break at the worst times happen to me more then a few times as well.

Who is left in the contest now? :|
Not very many. :(

I'm not sure if anyone else is even going to enter - as the people who seemed the most determined have had problems get in their way, and had to drop out.

I really hope this still brings some great entries - but the future is looking admittedly bleak right now. :|
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Damn... its soooo annoying that I we have to drop out... We were going to kick ass. Think Beats of Rage..... but better... with original characters... an original engine... a fully fleshed out storyline... crap, piss, wank!!!!!!1111

:(
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

how about a possible extension for the contest.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

JuniorCrb wrote:how about a possible extension for the contest.
I would do that, but unfortunately the schedule is tight for The Goat Store to get CDs pressed in time for The Midwest Classic, even at the March 17th deadline.

Entries #1 and #2 will get CDs pressed and released in May at the convention, so it's not possible to extend the contest any more than it already has been.

I sympathise with everyone who's been having problems (both real life and computer-wise), because I've had my fair share of both getting in the way of projects lately.

We'll keep on course towards the deadline and see what happens. I'm still optimistic that there will be some fine entries into the contest.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

Well, my game is still a go. And honestly looking far better than I ever imagined (graphically at least). Still sketchy on a name though. We've got some talented people working on it right now. Actually, all in all, the team is 5 or 6 people at the moment.

And it's not quite your average shooter. Sure, the gameplay is pretty standard, but the level design and story are more like an episode of Clerks than any shooter that I've ever seen.
Last edited by Ender on Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

-edit note-
(This post took forever to arrange, and I still don't think I got it right. ^_^
It was to come before the positivity popped in, so, sorry about the down-ish opening. So; That's great to hear, Ender -- I look forward to seeing what you've got!)

:!:

No!! :| It can't go like this... Hardware problems, unforeseen circumstances, and termites... It does look fairly grim for this contest and so many things connected with it. But, everyone saw that billboard:
Success is 10% inspiration, 90% last-minute changes.
BA and BaMo; Would you two be able to start on another project? Don't get me wrong; I know how life is sometimes, and how much it stinks to get so much done only to have it disappear before your eyes... But, I've noticed how sometimes, if I try it again, the second result is almost better than the first. Well, there are also those times where I'm like "forget it," and when I have to come to grips with reality, and throw in the towel for the moment. Then again...
Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more. ~Edward H. Harriman
And, while I'm at it...
Life is full of obstacle illusions. ~Grant Frazier
Seventy percent of success in life is showing up. ~Woody Allen

If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again. ~Flavia Weedn, Flavia and the Dream Maker
I know that I always say this, and also that I don't know anything about programming, but... Some of the most fun, addictive, and attractive titles are puzzle games! Often simple (though sometimes deceptively simple), sometimes flashy, sometimes soft and smooth, but most of all, likely the most widely-compatible and gameplay-centric genre. They don't require violence, mature content, cel shading, or even a story (though... um... there's nothing wrong with any of those) to work! Plus, I remember that when I looked into game programming, the first project suggested was... Tetris. Tetris because it contains every basic element necessary for the common video game, and is (they said) of beginner-level programming complexity.

Maybe you came up with some ideas for spinoffs, and could pick up one of the shards from your previous project and build up a whole new world around it... The contest dinner bell rings in over a month, the Midwest Gaming Classic is two after that, and if time's going to pass between now and the contest deadline and you have an idea, what would you like to do with it? Even if you're drawing a blank... Frank Tibolt once said, "We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

All of the ideas that you guys had are fantastic, and I possess no doubt that you could all pull them off to fantastic result... But, when I saw the original contest deadling of December 31st, I knew that whatever was going to be done, needed to be done quickly... "Most people would succeed in small things if they were not troubled with great ambitions" ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. The requirements of the contest are:
... the only rules are that it is an original game, and not a port or an emulator. It has to be somewhat polished - it must contain a menu, music and sound effects ... Entries will be judged by quality and playability rather than flashiness.
The homebrew community's answer to Shenmue would be positively splendid, but, nowhere in the requirements does it say anything about a FREE engine or 32 high-resolution hand-drawn fighters or a persistent online playing world. A few elements, a little bit of polish, and maybe a few extras can go a long way!

Remember... "The distance is nothing; it is only the first step that is difficult." ~Marie de Vichy-Chamrond, Marquise du Deffand, letter to Jean Le Rond d'Alembert, 7 July 1763

I really need to cut it out with these quotes. Okay, last ones...
When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
~Author Unknown

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did. ~Newt Gingrich
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I might be able to come up with something. Possibly. Depends on how everything goes, and if anyone else voulenteers. I'll let you know when I have something more concrete.

I might not have a chance of winning, but I still intend to give it a shot.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

At the current pace, if you finish something, that could guarantee you a pressing ;)
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

aisupikku: At the moment I have to concentrate on getting back up to date on my College work... it was all on my corrupted Hard Drive... damn cheap components.... no wonder the company that made my computer went out of business... but if I get up to date before the deadline then I'll happily help BA again... but at the moment I can't. And Who knows... maybe me and BA will release a game AFTER the contest... if he's up for it :)
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by DJ Geki »

I'm just here to say, "You can DO it!" Because that's the only worthwhile quote I know. :D

So, do your best, guys! I really want to see your entries, and play the crap out of them!
-Love 'n Bass, Peace 'n Space-
Roddy T. - DJ Geki
Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

BaldMonk wrote:At the moment I have to concentrate on getting back up to date on my College work...
Oh, man -- That's rough! Well, I understand your situation... and I was always taught, "studies first, games afterwards." Good luck to you with getting everything back to nominal... Have you got a replacement HDD? I might have a few new Maxtor drives around here that, while I can't exactly offer to you an "extended loan" on them (though I wish that I could!), I could definitely see myself giving you a "DCEmu member discount." 8-)
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

also being in college i understand your situation to, but i know that your completly capable of doing it, YOU CAN DO IT!!! as cheasy as it sounds.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I'd be happy to work on a game after the contest. It just gives us some more time to work on it.

For the contest, at least, all is not lost. I can salvage a lot of the code I've already written. It needs ripping out and modifying a little, because I didn't really intend it to be used in another game, but it should work pretty well. Saves me having to re-do some of the boring stuff at least.

I've had a couple of ideas, and I think I could likely do most of the programming on either of them in a couple of weeks. All it'd need then is some decent artwork and music.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

That sounds great, BA. I was thinking to offer to do some artwork and music for you, but, I'm waiting back on a reply from MetaFox (and GoatDan also, actually) before I can determine my participation in the contest.

Er, that is, if you would want any from me... it's not like I'm on DeviantArt's featured list, or with several platinum albums under my belt, or anything. :)
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Thanks guys... Yeah, I got a nice new 80GB HD... but I don't know what make it is... must remember to back stuff up. Well, they couldn't salvage anything off it... but MOST of my recent stuff is still on my College computer... so now I've got to remodel some of the characters from my BIG animation... *sigh* Ah well..

Hey BA... when we DO make something, we'll use 3D graphics eh? Seeing as how My GFX card was fixed and stuff.

I CAN DO IT!!!!! ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!! :D
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Er, that is, if you would want any from me... it's not like I'm on DeviantArt's featured list, or with several platinum albums under my belt, or anything.
If you'd actually seen my artwork, you wouldn't be worrying about that.
Hey BA... when we DO make something, we'll use 3D graphics eh? Seeing as how My GFX card was fixed and stuff.
Probably. Shouldn't have to worry about running out of video memory as much if we do. Although I think I've pretty much solved that problem anyway, by borrowing a trick PS2 games use to get around it's limited texture memory.

Considering we probably won't have any tight time contraints either, we could also probably go back to the original full 3D design.