Dream On - Dreamcast Game Contest

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by OneThirty8 »

Warmachine wrote:Am I aloud to make a java game and use it for contest? By the way, you guys said someone is going to publish the games, who exactly?
I don't think that would work. You're limited to the programming language that the homebrew development tools support, which would be C/C++.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Warmachine wrote:Am I aloud to make a java game and use it for contest? By the way, you guys said someone is going to publish the games, who exactly?
No, you can't use java as, Java code can't be run directly from the CD. It requires other means to run, and that's not the point of this competition.

As for your second question, Cyberdog Castle, my upstart company.

And before you ask, the store and the Feet of Fury page are currently just there as a template. Cyberdog Castle will be opening on November 27, the 5th birthday of the Dreamcast, and the day my magazine, Dream On, comes out.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

MetaFox I heard you publish a magazine as well?

What happened to your other planned projects? Motocross, Commercial Project, Dev Prog?
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

impetus wrote:MetaFox I heard you publish a magazine as well?
Not quite yet. It was supposed to come out on 9/9/03, the 4th anniversary of the DC in the US, but I got an e-mail from someone who wanted to help out with an included CD, so I postponed it to 11/27/03, the 5th anniversary of the DC in Japan. The company who was supposed to do the CD for the magazine (which is not the same as the one in the contest) doesn't seem to be responding to repeated e-mails. I'll release the magazine regardless - I think I'm going to try getting CDs pressed for the magazine on my own (I can get bulk CDs pressed - it'll be cheaper then what's planned for the contest, since I can just get single color CDs without packaging). It's coming down to the nitty gritty, but I still have time.
impetus wrote:What happened to your other planned projects? Motocross, Commercial Project, Dev Prog?
I commented about the progress on all three of these at my Consolevision devsite: http://www.consolevision.com/members/metafox/dreamcast/
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

thankx for the info. :wink:
and good luck!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Java won't work unless you plan on writing/porting a Java VM to DC. It'd run 10 times slower than equivalent C code that way anyway. They are starting to make true Java compilers that don't rely on a VM, but 1) doesn't that ruin the point of using Java vs C++, and 2) they don't have a compiler for SH series that I know of.

But again, if you know Java, you should learn C/C++. C is probably better for work on the DC.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

A lot of the C++ stuff doesn't work. I was going to write stuff as C/C++ hybrid code, mostly using the C++ stuff for modelling the actual object in the world. There's no point using classes for things like system code, in my opinion.

Iris is an engine, and has it's own model format. MS3D has a plugin for it. I suppose I could use it's model format, if it's any good.

I'm not sure how complex I'd be able to make a game before January. But I think that simple gameplay, with possible a load of small additions (like Smash Bros - very simple game, with hundereds of tiny little cool bits thrown in) would be about right. A fairly simple core game, which you can then build comparatively trivial stuff (like additional items, game play modes, that kind of stuff) on top of. The trivial stuff tends to add a lot to simple games.
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

MS3d? lol. The only proggys I know are Lightwave, Maya, and a few others :oops:
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

you mean 3D Studio Max? (or something like that)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

MS3D - Miskshape 3D. Fairly cheap 3D modeller, originally written for Half Life. Often used for games.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Iris uses STL so your going to have to do a lot of work with it to get bits working with out the way it is set up. OpenGL would be ok would it not and use texture skins on models.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

OH i got to ask will the games ever be for download if not how does one vote for the games . Only way is buy the disk mag? And who holds copyright to the games ?And would i need to ask metafox if say my game won lol. Would i need to ask metafox if i can have my own game for download on my website ? :? :? :? :?

Thanks for your time
Dreamcast forever!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

1 - If the author wants. I intend to put something up for download
2 - A small panel of judges (including Metafox, Freeze, Dan Potter and DJ Geki) decides
3 - The author(s) own(s) the game(s)
4 - You can do what you like with it - it's your game. Just bear in mind that, if you do win, nobody would buy the published version if it were available for download.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Ian Micheal wrote:OH i got to ask will the games ever be for download if not how does one vote for the games . Only way is buy the disk mag?
There is a panel of 5 judges - Dan Potter, DJGeki, Freeze, Me, and my friend AudioGenius (who isn't on the forums but is hugely active behind-the-scenes). This is for 2 reasons - 1) Open voting doesn't work, there is always a way to cheat. And 2) The prize is for a commercial release of the winning entry.
Ian Micheal wrote:And who holds copyright to the games ?And would i need to ask metafox if say my game won lol. Would i need to ask metafox if i can have my own game for download on my website
The author holds the copyright, Cyberdog Castle will own no part of the game - it is only the publisher. You can put it up on your website if you wish. As BlackAura said, it's recommended to put up a demo version rather than the full game, as this is going to be available for sale - but, again, that's up to you.
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Okay, so what modeller is the best, and am I able to use a converter to convert .lwo(lightwave) files into a usable DC format? Hmmm, it would be cool to do a Cellshaded game actually, eh Black Aura? :)
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

BlackAura wrote: 4 - You can do what you like with it - it's your game. Just bear in mind that, if you do win, nobody would buy the published version if it were available for download.
In my opinion, making the full version of the winning entry available for download would also kind of be unfair to MetaFox. He's putting up a bunch of cash for the pressing and he deserves to (at the very least) recoup his expenses. But releasing a playable demo or video would be a good way to get people interested in your game, in the contest, and homebrew DC games in general.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well all in all Sounds great thanks to metafox for doing this :wink: :D . Thats why i asked because a demo version might be harder to make then a full game. :D good luck all and may the best game win. :D
Dreamcast forever!!!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Ian Micheal wrote:I doubt any one can beat jedi master Black aura hehe! :mrgreen:
except perhaps the Sith Lord ice88 ...
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

impetus wrote:
MetaFox wrote:If it's what I think it is - awesome possum!
Metafox, I want you to remember this post when we release...

Won't tell why yet but I think you'll be honored and pleased.
impetus wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:I doubt any one can beat jedi master Black aura hehe! :mrgreen:
except perhaps the Sith Lord ice88 ...
Yep, I'm definately getting ultra-excited to see the entries now. :mrgreen:

Also, I may be able to throw in a few goodies for the second and third prize winners as well. I'm not completely sure yet, so my lips are sealed for now, but I'm definately going to try my hardest to make it worthwhile for all entries. :D
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

hmm, I've said too much! This is my colaborator's baby, so I'll shut up now.
my sigs may offer a hint or two though if you hit "refresh" a few times