Standalone nxDoom games...

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Standalone nxDoom games...

Post by Stryfe »

Hi everybody....

I've been looking for a few BlackAura standalone nxDoom games.

Smurf's in Doom: Found, but not working with shareware Doom. Did I do something wrong?

HacX: Can't find it.

Chex Quest: Found, but no working sound. Did I do something wrong?

I take it from the 'no robots.txt' that BA doesn't want anyone raiding the site's archived pages for missing binaries, or other downloads..?

This is for the Wiki, and archiving these particular pieces of emulation history.
ImageImageImageImage
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Standalone nxDoom games...

Post by BlackAura »

I take it from the 'no robots.txt' that BA doesn't want anyone raiding the site's archived pages for missing binaries, or other downloads..?
The what?

As I recall, all those files were hosted one someone else's web space. Which then vanished, taking most of the files with it.

I'll see if I've still got any of them laying around somewhere.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was your site. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

The site owner put up a 'robots.txt' specifying retroactively that he didn't want anyone having access to the site from archivers/crawlers.

Like the 'Wayback Machine' website archiver.
ImageImageImageImage
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Smurf'n Doom was a mod of the shareware version of Doom created by Rob Matheson, he released it packaged with nxDoom Beta2 R1 by BlackAura.

Chex Quest was an early standalone build by BlackAura specifically for the game. You'll get better results using nxDoom with a custom Chex music pack and a DEH file.
Across the Universe
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

BlackAura wrote:
The what?

As I recall, all those files were hosted one someone else's web space. Which then vanished, taking most of the files with it.

I'll see if I've still got any of them laying around somewhere.
Find your selfboot tool's source while you're at it :grin: I wanted to take a look at it!
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Anyone have any luck finding the nxDoom related files?

I contacted a couple other people about a month ago, but so far nothing...

While I'm at it, I've also contacted LTK/Uguru at his PSP site, and asked him about his Dreamcast binary/source files as well. While he did say he may eventually find them, as of today I haven't heard back from him.

Does anyone have any of LTK's Dreamcast binaries, or sources, that he used to host on the defunct 'Dciberia' site? Even the HOTA that Chrisuserloeser helped me find had corrupted source files, only the binary was intact.
ImageImageImageImage
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I'd like the version of hacx that works with nxdoom, I can't find it anywhere.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

law56ker wrote:I'd like the version of hacx that works with nxdoom, I can't find it anywhere.
I'm going to assume you already know how to merge wads. For anyone else, you can use the CLI "Patcher", or the GUI interface "eXtendable Wad Editor" to merge a pWAD like Hacx into an iWAD like Freedoom's 'Doom2.wad'.

Patcher requires you to read the accompanying docs to learn the command syntax, but often results in the smallest merged WADs. XWE is the easiest to use only requiring you to load the iWAD (Doom2.wad), select the "merge" option from the menu, and select the pWAD (Hacx.wad) to merge.
ImageImageImageImage
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

XWE is certainly the easiest route to merge WADs, I'd recommend that to start with.

If you are going to merge the Hacx.wad, I'd also suggest replacing the music with Stryfe's XM conversion first, also add in the Hacx.deh, then merge.
Across the Universe
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I wish I had more music for my doom collection the 4 or so xm packs i have get old reallly fast. Wish we had a version of doom that could play the orginal music wads.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

law56ker wrote:I wish I had more music for my doom collection the 4 or so xm packs i have get old reallly fast. Wish we had a version of doom that could play the orginal music wads.
Chilly Willy's port named Doom for Dreamcast supports the playback of the original MUS, and MIDI tracks. It requires loading the main iWAD (Doom2.wad), and the pWAD (Requiem.wad, Reqmus.wad) manually for each mod though. If you use it, you may want to rename the pWADs to something similar, like 'Ge64lev.wad' to 'Gold64lev.wad' to match 'Gold64.wad', and 'Gold64.deh'.

There's also the waaayyyy older Bero port that supported MUS/MIDI playback, but didn't support DEHACKED.
ImageImageImageImage