A few words about the beta

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by HyperG »

Sad thing was, the guy who leaked the uncracked beta from over a year ago, did it in dcemu chat room. /me stairs bluntly at the ceiling ...
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
ssj4goku128
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ssj4goku128 »

HyperG... were you a beta tester for the Bleem!cast? Please reply ASAP.
"So I gotta be carefull, can't let tha evil of tha money trap me
so when ya see me #@#$%
ya better holla at me "

Tupac Shakur[1971-1996]
Makaveli[1996-????]
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I dont think they are even working with the psxdc emu thing. I tryed going to there site but not there any more. I wasted 7 cd's try to get the Bleem!cast beta to work and it still doesnt. Ala ahrig dean e esha de!!
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Warmachine"<i>What the hell are you doing!! Remove that link at once!! Just incase you didnt know it had the Bleemcast! Beta file up there, which is a Warez file. WILL A MOD PLEASE REMOVE THE LINK THANK YOU</i>

Hey thanks for being a jerk, I didn't know the beta was there all i saw was the list on the link i gave, and all I was doing was trying to get a good list from everyone. Everyones discussing the beta as they have it. If your so upset please delete any roms that aren't pd, emulators,and especially the beta. I did it by accident and you go attack me. And delete the reposted link to the combatbilty list if your so concerned.
FLEABttn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by FLEABttn »

If you guys don't mind me asking, what was with the color coding system of the betas? I know that the one released was the blue one, but that there was a red one and I think another one.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

They where coded to work for certain dreamcasts, that is there only difference I think.
Rod Maher
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rod Maher »

ReGex wrote: Not to be argumentative, but I've never heard of Sony giving hassle to any of the open source emus... I don't see how Sony could touch you unless that was part of some sort of legal agreement you made with them.
Sony sued whoever they perceived to be a threat. We never thought we were one (rather that we helped by opening up their software to a greater market). If you think that Sony would have dropped their suit because bleem decided to go free/open source you are gravely mistaken.
btrboyev wrote:Emulators are legal, sony knows this.
So why were we in court for 3 years then?
Warmachine wrote:I have a question for you guys (bleem!cast crew). Are you the guys that also made the PC version of bleem? And do you guys plan on making any emulators in the future (for any system but hopefully dreamcast)
Rand did bleem PC on his own (it was before I joined). So you can blame all the bugs on him ;)))

I think it's safe to say that we'll never work on any console emulation ever again.
Xylene wrote:Also, one day, I hope someone tell's everyone what "Bleem" means..
I could never get it out of Rand I know he was going to tell everyone when a certain milestone was reached. Unfortunately we fell just short.

I did find out what a lot of the other acronyms stood for though, and can say it's probably for the best that we don't know :)
|darc| wrote:A legal issue was brought up today in #consolevision... What would be the consequences of distributing this beta? Who would take legal action? Sony? The former bleem! owners? I understand it is copyrighted, but who could actually come after you if you distributed it?
The code is copyrighted so you can not legally distribute it without permission. I can't give you that permission. I don't know who has the rights to the bleem program now (whether it's rand, david, banks etc.) I would not recommend hosting any illegal material as it may give another party an easy way to shut your site down.
law56ker wrote:One thing that really dissapointed me though was the cancellation of the 100 disc packets. With the release of this beta I see so many game working very well, my question is why did you decide to cancel the 100 discs.
The thing that we completely underestimated was the time it took to test the games thoroughly. It qucikly became apparent that it would take years to play 100 games with the staff numbers we had.

What we really needed was a way to update the software in the future. That way we could do light testing and address any serious problems if they cropped up. Unfortunately having no hard drive on the DC made this impossible. It was an oversight that saw us having to play through all possible parts of the game to ensure 100% compatibility.

To give you an idea, the full testing of the numerous versions of GT2 took around 2 months.
My question also is that if your version was 4 times better than what the beta is why didn't you release that when you sold the other bleempacks and sold new versions to it?
Because not all games were 100%. We couldn't realease a program that might crash 3/4 of the way through a game, with no way to update it in the future.
q_006 wrote:are the bleem!cast creators willing to throw a few "hints" to the PSXDC creator?
The performance of PSXDC is about in line with what I would expect for an emulator written in C. The processor in the dreamcast is only 200mHz, so for high speed you really need to have the majority of the core written in asm.
Last edited by Rod Maher on Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Do you guys still emulate stuff in your free time?? Also why would Sony sue if they are stilling getting money? I mean you still need the psx cds. if you didnt need them hell I would sue you. :wink: Do you guys have a hidden stash somewhere? :wink:
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

law56ker wrote:They where coded to work for certain dreamcasts, that is there only difference I think.
That the beta is in wide circulation doesn't change the fact that we're not going to discuss technical details -- Please don't ask.

Rand.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

Rod wrote:
q_006 wrote:
are the bleem!cast creators willing to throw a few "hints" to the PSXDC creator?
The performance of PSXDC is about in line with what I would expect for an emulator written in C. The processor in the dreamcast is only 200mHz, so for high speed you really need to have the majority of the core written in asm.
in your opinion if the code were converted to asm, would it run as fast as bleem!cast or faster? also would it be of same quality as the beta?
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

IM glad to hear the bleem teams opinions and responses to this, its a pity that sony (the shits) did what they did. Taking a look at things from another perspective,if this was an early beta of Bleemcast then isnt it an awesome piece of coding. You have to say that Bleemcast is the best software written for the Dreamcast. Ipersonally was waiting with baited breath for the Smackdown bleem packs, the dreamcast was so in need of a decent wrestlng game but the shits at sony screwed us all.

Some one has already said this but you can buy the three bleemcast releases at http://www.liksang.com and damn fine they are too.

to Rand/bleem team

Do you still look at the code and get more games working even if it is for personal use only?

also would you be willing to sell a preburned uncrackable copy of say a smackdown bleem if the price was right? answer through pm if you prefer.
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Jon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Jon »

Is there any chance in the whole wide world that we can
get a legal bleemcast that can play more games.

Or can the the original bleemcast discs play more games in any way.

I personally think this is the best software ever written to the dreamcast.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Sickliquid86 wrote:I am not going to lye to you Rod even the version from only 4months of work is absolutely incredible, but I really want a later version is there anyway on earth you could release it , the source or whatever or even give some very helpful pointers to the guys at PCSXDC. I bought all three bleem packs and currnetly am struggling to get MSLUG to run on your on the version in question. I know you re not obligated in anyway to do this but pleeeeez we love yuour work and would like to see it in a more presentable form. My question also is that if your version was 4 times better than what the beta is why didn't you release that when you sold the other bleempacks and sold new versions to it? I am juist wondering thank you.

P.S- Pleeeez release it.
dont beg, dont even ask something like that. that will just make the bleem! devvers leave.
container
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by container »

Rand, Rod...
This beta has done one good thing, made everybody (who didn't already) realise HOW MUCH you guys put into Bleem and how much you beleived in it.

Thanks for taking the risk.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

ssj4goku128 wrote:HyperG... were you a beta tester for the Bleem!cast? Please reply ASAP.
Nope. I know ghost was :-p ... but he wasn't the leaker... it was some other guy, got old irc logs somewhere.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Thanks so much guys. The MGS version of Bleem!cast was perfect, no bugs, and very nice looking.

As for this whole beta hubub, I'm really not getting the feeling that your mad over it per-say, but rather your a little peeved that years down the line stupid n00bs will think that you, and your work, was only capable of doing what is displayed in an early beta. Hopefully there will always be someone there to backup the facts and give the 411 in future generations.

As for Bleem! as a whole, I think it had a good run. I know it opened me up to emulation after seeing a few specials on the then called ZDTV.

How has the beta effected me personally? Well I took a dig, found a site with it and downloaded it. The zip file sits on my hard drive. I can't bring myself to go to that level of betrayal to someone who has contributed to this "scene" more than any of us, and it is of no use to me. I'll just play my MGS version and forget that fatefull day about a week or two after I joined when the site was down, Sonic was sad, and all was over.

I really wanna see any of your future work! I know that one day I will see the name Rand Linden or Rod Maher on something really nicely done, and I will strive for your level of both programming and problem solving knowledge. I can safely say that you are an inspiration to myself, as well as a huge amount of other people on this board.

Shamez0r to those who leaked it.
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Tis a shame something so wonderful never came to be. Now I really hate Sony :evil: There is nothing anyone can say that will defend that company. I will forever hate them.
:evil:

What I will never understand is the fact that Sega, Namco, and Konami did not complain or sue bleem (Well as far as I know they didn't) but $ony did. You would think that $ony would be happy about this since it would mean more people buying PSX games, especially $ony produced games (Gran Turismo 2), which would mean more money for them. Afterall, not everyone owns a psx. Now I know what some people might say something such as: Well if the DC can run psx games, why not purchase a DC instead of a psx?

If that was the case $sony would lose money. But I don't think that would have ever happened. Why? Because the psone sells more than the PS2 even though it's inferior to it. Last year $ony stopped manufacturing PSOne's for a short while because it was beating the PS2 in units sold within a certain amouint of time. I understand that they want to focus on the PS2, but the fact that they were kind of competing against themselves is ridiculous. I'm not surprised that the psx sold more units that the problematic PS2.

The only way I can see $sony mad at bleem is that it makes the psx console look like crap and more poeple would buy a DC instead of a psx. But then again every console that competed againt the ps1/ps2 was much better anyway. But guess what? The PS1/PS2 won even though the Saturn & N64 / Xbox & NGC are far superior consoles.

Shouldn't $ony be thrilled that they have another market opened to their software?

Rod Maher wrote:
btrboyev wrote:Emulators are legal, sony knows this.
So why were we in court for 3 years then?
Probably due to some "under the table money" $ony was giving to the right people. I think this is a perfect example of how any big company can screw over any small company even if they are wrong. :x
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

What I read Rod was that the yeaer theat Bleemcast was goning to be released was a crucial point for their system the PS2 becuase the backwards compatability was a real plus but if DC had it they couldn't claim that as a plus. So they kept you guys in court and ran the fees up until since they essentially couldn't convict you they just got by running up the lawyers fees and then you settled out of court. Also I know you probably don't want to answer questions about the actual beta but is there anyway I can Metal Slug X with it it always freezes when the mission starts but I can to every option screen please PM or post some help because I love your program and want ot play mslug on my dc so bad.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Sickliquid86 wrote:Also I know you probably don't want to answer questions about the actual beta but is there anyway I can Metal Slug X with it it always freezes when the mission starts but I can to every option screen please PM or post some help because I love your program and want ot play mslug on my dc so bad.
dont ask that kind of stuff here.
BudFern
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by BudFern »

You guys should be proud of your programming work on Bleem, and can now revel in the fact that it STILL causes such a stir on a "dead" system. :)

Dreamcast forever!