A few words about the beta

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by law »

One question: Have you ever asked Sony to publish bleemcast ? They can only profit, can?t they ? Or would that need a deal with Sega aswell ? Since i think Gameshark isn?t published with a deal with Sega, couldn?t Bleemcast go the same way ?
ImageImage
ReGex
FrNES Creator
FrNES Creator

Post by ReGex »

In response to my earlier post, I was referring to the situation now, that you would most likely be able to open the source to the pubic without fear of further litigation from Sony. Obviously, opening the source wouldn't have stopped a legal situation that was already in progress.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Mr. Maher, I'd like you to take a look at this:

really really old news

Can you give us any further information on the Mac version of Bleem? I know (correct if mistaken) that it was never released. But how far was it into developement? Any chance to have it ever released?

VGS runs only on OS9, Flarestorm is too slow and buggy... it sure would be nice to have another Playstation emu on the Mac.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

hmm, if only some of the thousands of bleem fans were professional high end lawyers, then the entire outcome of bleem might have been different. Why? Because if these lawyers would defend bleem! for a small amount of money due to interest in the companies future- then sony's 100's of lawyers might not be able to delay court hearings until the programmers die! I mean, i dont think there was ever a COMPLETELY official verdict yet because of sony.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

this may sound bad.... and i'm sorry if it does but ....

now that we have the bleem!cast beta and know that PSXDC works (somewhat), why don't we/someone complete the emulator?

i mean it doesn't have to be a copy and paste job but now the tools are here.
so we might as well utilize them while we have them.

of course no offense to the creators
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

now the tools are here
Bleemcast isn't open source. :wink:
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Was the beta really cracked or was it just on a CD-R with no copy protection?
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
nbcjr
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by nbcjr »

almost sure it was a cd-r with no protection...
Brasil: Quem te ama n?o te USA!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

404NotFound wrote:The MGS version of Bleem!cast was perfect, no bugs, and very nice looking.
Actually, I've seen one bug in MGS. When you are in the codec screen, contact Meryl, and if you're at one of the parts where she's in the enemy's uniform, the animation where she takes the mask off of her face is messed up. ;)
kubyx wrote:Was the beta really cracked or was it just on a CD-R with no copy protection?
There were 5 color coded betas and 5 color coded Dreamcasts. Each beta color corresponds to the colored Dreamcast. The beta only worked on that Dreamcast. The DC-only code was cracked. The uncracked versions have been out for quite some time now.
It's thinking...
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

404NotFound wrote:The MGS version of Bleem!cast was perfect, no bugs, and very nice looking.
It also has trouble saving on some of the newer VMU's and will not save once you unlock tuxedo snake.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

So why were we in court for 3 years then?
I think everyone knows the reason for that. Sony has lots of money and is, essentially, extremely corrupt and evil. One of the crappier zaibatsu's around.

And yeah.. I own a PSX and PS2. Oh well.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Sony isn't corrupt or evil. they are just misinformed and misguided. Ofcourse what they did was wrong we all know bleem wasn't trying to harm sony. Ok to make a fair comparison. What if microsoft developed a emulator for gba or snes where you plugged the cartriges into some kind of usb adapter and played them on your xbox. You think nintendo whouldn't say anything? I'm 100 percent sure they whould. Sony was wrong but that doesn't make them corrupt or evil.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

404NotFound wrote:I can't bring myself to go to that level of betrayal to someone who has contributed to this "scene" more than any of us, and it is of no use to me. I'll just play my MGS version and forget that fatefull day about a week or two after I joined when the site was down, Sonic was sad, and all was over.
I agree with you. Especially the people who got something personally from Bleem!, I shall never forget that.

Shame on the leaker, but also shame on the people who dare to ask the programmers something about the beta. That's the lowest thing you can do. Think about it, as an example, you are programming a game and putting all your efforts and time in it. You want it to make it the best game you ever made. A "friend" steels your game before you have it ready with a lot's of bugs and it's abslotuley nothing you wanted the final product to be. The "friend" even put's it on the internet. That makes you mad, right? But that's not all, you are a very cool person and post a statement on the leak on a forum. Telling the people as the programmer that this is absolutely not the final product and that is a stolen beta. Instead of understanding and sympathy you get questions about the workinfg of the stolen beta! How would you feel? Answering questions of a beta you even didn't want to be public? Please, think before your post.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

People are rather sad...they think they can take advantage when the authors speak out about this this. I think all posts asking anything specific about the leaked beta should be edited.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

I think those posts should be left as it just shows those people up as being incredibly ignorant and entirely thoughtless.

They should be named and shamed in every way.

And thank you to Rod and Rand for creating this topic its just a shame that some people will always be selfish and act without integrity.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Agreed what The Kron and Hyper G said. I admit I did ask some questions, but just asked how they felt about it, not asking for a release or anything, thats just ignorant.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Was Sony justified in trying to stop Bleem!? It did allow the use of illegally, copied games. I was just a first-year law student before I decided that I couldn't take it anymore, but according to the DCMA, anything that allows the circumvention of any copy protection method, on any copyrighted work, is illegal.

You ARE allowed one legal backup copy of media that you own, but you CANNOT circumvent any copy protection schemes to obtain hat copy. Nice huh? It's a really grey area and needs to be challenged, but thats the way things are for now :-(

MOD chips are illegal because they circumvent Sony's copy protection schemes and allow you to play illegally copied games on CDR. Bleem could be seen as doing the same, but who knows.

If you ask me, I think that Sony was really worried about consumers seeing the power of the Dreamcast. You buy a dreamcast with some playstation games and you see how much better the Dreamcast handles things, so you say to yourself: "Man, the DC has such better graphics", etc so you stop buying psx games and start buying DC ones. I think that Sony felt that they would lose customers and 3rd party developers to Sega. They probably also felt that emulating the their system on a much hated competitors system was a slap in the face, or something along those lines.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

farrell2k wrote:Was Sony justified in trying to stop Bleem!? It did allow the use of illegally, copied games. I was just a first-year law student before I decided that I couldn't take it anymore, but according to the DCMA, anything that allows the circumvention of any copy protection method, on any copyrighted work, is illegal.
It's not that it circumnavigated Sony's protection scheme, but rather that it didn't include it - the code that detects whether something is an official Sony disc or not is copyrighted to Sony, and so including it would be more illegal than not including it. Crazy, huh?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Sony isn't corrupt or evil.
I'm not basing this solely on Bleem. Sony has done many bad things, both in America and in Japan. They're worse then Nintendo was in their iron fisted NES days.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

The discs were proteted as well. Bleem ignores this.