A few words about the beta

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DuffMan »

Cash Money wrote:
He knows who leaked it.
how do you know?

dont bitch at me for asking i would just like to know how you know?
He has stated in posts earlier that he was very disappointed in the person who did it.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Cash Money wrote:rand if you think........ Which beta tester used the blue version? than more than likely hes the leaker
I find it very strange that the leaker specified which version this beta was. Why? He says that supposedly all the other colors were no different from the blue one, and if that's the case, why did he specify that this beta is the blue version? Did this person want Rand to know he was the leaker? If so, then he must have done so to get back at someone :?
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Ah I don't think the leaker is the one who said it was the blue version. I think the person who cracked it said it was the blue one He informed us of this because many whould be curious what the difference was.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Cash Money wrote:rand if you think........ Which beta tester used the blue version? than more than likely hes the leaker
No, it's not more-than-likely. One ass released all of the betas to the public, it just happened to be that the blue one was the one chosen to be cracked.
Rand Linden wrote:
|darc| wrote:It was pretty clear that bleem! wasn't going to be able to make a bleem!pak for every one of the PSX's hits, especially huge ones like the Final Fantasy series games.
Actually this was the intention (to focus on all the hit titles). We showed off the FF9 bleempak on the site, but the company folded before it was released.
Yeah, but do you think you would've been able to create optimizations for, test, produce, and release a bleem!pak for all of the hits before the Dreamcast was no longer commercially viable? I know after releasing a few bleem!paks the optimizations would have been easier and easier to make as you go on, and there would be less bugs in the process, but games like the FF series are huge and it would take forever to test the entire game... Especially for such a small team. Sure, I'd LOVE to see it happen, but I'm not sure that it could...
It's thinking...
Kyonak
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kyonak »

I have only one question for Rod and Rand.
Since the Bleem id dead, Because nao release the source code so that other interested developers continue the development of this emulator?

Sorry, my english is sucks
I'm Braziliam..

Thanks for the atention
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

The FAQ answers most, if not all, of these questions.

Rand.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Rand Linden wrote:The FAQ answers most, if not all, of these questions.

Rand.
I'm working on a updated one, with the new questions that where on here lately!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Kyonak wrote:I have only one question for Rod and Rand.
Since the Bleem id dead, Because nao release the source code so that other interested developers continue the development of this emulator?

Sorry, my english is sucks
I'm Braziliam..

Thanks for the atention
They are not releasing the source code. They won't.
It's thinking...
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

They cant release the source code.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Rand and Rod

Just want to say you guys rock. Thanks for staying on these boards even with so many disrespectful morons saying/asking all kinds of crazy stupid thigs.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do! You'll always be welcome here.
killer_instinct_king
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by killer_instinct_king »

well, i'm one of those who fortunately got to download all the betas that were posted for download. and the only thing i would like to say is that i totally see where the programmers (rod and Rand) are coming from and i respect that you would angry if you didn't intend for your work to be distributed like this but the internet is something not even the government can stop. sorry man, and thanks for all the work u put into these projects.

on the other hand, i will post the Bleemcast Betas.txt file that came with the betas. these are uncracked betas and i will not post them so don't even bother asking!!!

P.S. the betas are for yellow, green, purple, blue, orange dreamcasts....
This is most of the conversation between myself "Me" and the person I got these from "Betatester"
Of course this are not the real nicks we use, I changed that to hide our identities.

These betas are VERY real. They are not locked down to 1 game. They are betas to test all Playstation games.
Now here is the tricky part, each beta tester was given different color coded Dreamcasts.
The betas has something in the code at will look in the rom on the specified dreamcast. The discs will
ONLY work on that machine and no other. Some how this code needs to be removed so that it is usable on any dreamcast.
Only other thing missing is an audio.nra which is the audio track to make the cd selfbootable. It should be the
same track this is used in the Echelon Selfboot Kit but in Nero Burning Rom audio format.

[03:49] <Me> what did ya'll have to use to burn it anyways?
[03:50] <Betatester> I've never really looked at how it works, before. It looks like it's cutting the first 37376 bytes off the data part of the image, then appending something (That Rand gave us... Included) to the beginning in it's place
[03:50] <Betatester> Just Nero, and some program that Rand gave us. I think he made it.
[03:50] <Betatester> It looks like all it does is cuts up a binary file, though
[03:51] <Me> ok
[04:30] <Betatester> Well, each one was encoded to only work on that specific DC
[04:30] <Betatester> However, if you mean the burning process, no, it was the same for them all.
[05:16] <Me> i mean different color dc's got different builds
[05:24] <Betatester> Well, I'm really not sure if they were different builds or not. I'm thinking that he might have done some kind of encoding on them, AFTER he did the builds, to make it work on the individual DC's. But, I don't know that for sure. He might have had the encoding done during the build itself, in which case they would be different builds for each color
:oops: :cry:
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

Enough about this already.

Let's just be grateful of what we did get.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
Superrayman3
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re:

Post by Superrayman3 »

Rod Maher wrote: So why were we in court for 3 years then?
I think I have a logical answer to the issue of why sony put you guys in court for 3 years. the first thing I would like to point out is the fact that yes emulators are legal. however after using the bleemcast for MGS I think I kind of understand what sony was doing. there is only one problem with the bleemcast emulator itself and that is the fact that bleemcast had no antipiracy system. Now don't get me wrong I know that almost every emulator out there has no antipiracy system built into them but an emulator for a console is slightly different from an emulator for pc I'm willing to bet that sony found out that bleemcast could play pirated copies of their games and they saw that as a threat not only to themselves but to the developers as well because if people found out that pirated games could be played using bleemcast people would go out buy a dreamcast and just pirate the games which would've resulted in loss of profits for sony and developers as well and I think sony was trying to avoid that at all costs. now if there was a peice of code in the emulator that prevented backups from being played sony might've been a little more nicer about bleemcast.
choujij

Re: Re:

Post by choujij »

Superrayman3 wrote:
Rod Maher wrote: So why were we in court for 3 years then?
now if there was a peice of code in the emulator that prevented backups from being played sony might've been a little more nicer about bleemcast.
How 'bout nooo! Bleemcast was a threat to PlayStation 2. It would make DC backwards compatible with PS1, giving PS1 fans more of an insentive to buy a Dreamcast instead of a PlayStation 2. The fact it made PSX games look way better than being played on the PS2, AND that pirated copies would work just fine was a major slap in Sony's face. :P
Last edited by choujij on Tue May 18, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Superrayman3 wrote:now if there was a peice of code in the emulator that prevented backups from being played sony might've been a little more nicer about bleemcast.
The protection signature on PlayStation discs requires special hardware support in the reader; you can't just write some code that checks for it.

Also, nice necropost.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
choujij

Post by choujij »

Ex-Cyber wrote: Also, nice necropost.
Wow. I've actually never heard that term before. How gross, and yet very appropriate. lol
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ex-Cyber wrote:The protection signature on PlayStation discs requires special hardware support in the reader; you can't just write some code that checks for it.
I thought the issue wasn't hardware support, but that the software routine that checked for it was protected under law in some way?

IIRC, Connectix Virtual Game Station included support for the copy protection, but they included the PlayStation BIOS with their software. VGS ran on Macs and PCs and this meant supporting a lot of CD readers.
It's thinking...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Based on what I've read about that signature, I don't see how it's physically possible to read it on a standard reader. It's similar to the scheme used to encode ID/capacity/write strategy information on CD-R (the presence/absence of a 22.05KHz tracking error). If a reader doesn't have the circuitry to detect that signal, it's destroyed in the digitization process. A burner might be physically able to read it (since it will have the detection circuitry for ATIP), but I have no idea whether standard firmwares would be able to return it in any recognizable form. There are some other indicators besides the actual protection signature, but AFAIK they're all heuristic in nature and wouldn't actually add up to high certainty unless a copy is done poorly.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer