A few words about the beta

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Rod Maher
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Rod Maher »

Xylene wrote: well it is a shame. but it seems like a lot of people are happy about this.. are you kind of glad people are experiencing some of the amazing stuff unreleased bleem!paks could do?
It depends what people take away from it.

Those who have played with the bleempaks are able to put the beta in perspective. Those who haven't can't.

I think the most important thing that the bleempaks showed was that it was possible to run the flagship titles perfectly on entirely different hardware. Not only that but you could run them in higher quality and at higher speeds in most cases. In short, it was possible to offer a better experience for the games that you had purchased. This isn't evident from the beta because of the significant bugs and features missing from all games.
DJ Samba D
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
Been thanked: 0

Post by DJ Samba D »

Rod Maher wrote:
Xylene wrote: well it is a shame. but it seems like a lot of people are happy about this.. are you kind of glad people are experiencing some of the amazing stuff unreleased bleem!paks could do?
It depends what people take away from it.

Those who have played with the bleempaks are able to put the beta in perspective. Those who haven't can't.

I think the most important thing that the bleempaks showed was that it was possible to run the flagship titles perfectly on entirely different hardware. Not only that but you could run them in higher quality and at higher speeds in most cases. In short, it was possible to offer a better experience for the games that you had purchased. This isn't evident from the beta because of the significant bugs and features missing from all games.
I agree with what Hasney has said on this subject... I, admittedly, have been playing round with the beta... and people who've been round have said to me - I didn't know Driver 2 was released for the Dreamcast? to which I respond - nah it's an awesome PSX emulator for the Dreamcast... Although I still play my GT2 Pak an awful lot :)

Bleem Guys, you're work is very much appreciated within our community - best wishes for the future and also, hope there was no major disrespect caused in users getting ahold of these beta's...
Jeeba Jabba, On Pinoy, wrote:First, Learn how to speak english and spell. Second, Yes you have the right of Freedom of Speech, So do I. I can get pissed at you're ignorant self for saying dumber things than Miko or Great One... Now thats low
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

So has anyone started a list of which games run good, and bad? Coolboarders 3 and the crash 1&2 run great except there are no sound effects.Parapa and xenogears seem to run almost perfect. There's a start
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I have a question for you guys (bleem!cast crew). Are you the guys that also made the PC version of bleem? And do you guys plan on making any emulators in the future (for any system but hopefully dreamcast :))
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Warmachine wrote:I have a question for you guys (bleem!cast crew). Are you the guys that also made the PC version of bleem? And do you guys plan on making any emulators in the future (for any system but hopefully dreamcast :))
Yes they made Bleem! for PC.

About emulators in the future, I personally don't think they will. To many legal issues they are probably still dealing with, even with the demise of Bleem!

Also, one day, I hope someone tell's everyone what "Bleem" means..
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

yea what does bleem mean anyways?? does it stand for anything?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Warmachine wrote:yea what does bleem mean anyways?? does it stand for anything?
From what I've heard, Rand won't tell anyone... so know one really knows..
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

A legal issue was brought up today in #consolevision... What would be the consequences of distributing this beta? Who would take legal action? Sony? The former bleem! owners? I understand it is copyrighted, but who could actually come after you if you distributed it? And would you guys be mad/angry/disappointed if it was?

Not that I would want to, I really have no interest in giving out to many people, I've already got the cracked beta, I've already gotten the uncracked stuff, I've already got all three bleempaks from EB when bleem! was still alive, etc. but it's a very interesting question to me.

On a side note, I'd just like to thank you guys again... You've made a sacrifice for us. bleem! really was a great product, and I'm glad I bought it, despite the fact I can't even use it (I haven't got GT2 or TK3, and my Dreamcast's disk-swapping is broken--I have to open the DC to swap disks). Seeing that beta run, and run almost fullspeed, and with awesome graphics almost made me cry at what we could've possibly had...

It's thinking...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

the only thing sony rocks... is the cocks

Yeah man, Rand, and Rod, its amazing how much work you guys did, and I really appriciate(spelling??)it. Good lucky with your family, lifes, and any future projects.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Thanks DUDES!!! (and DUDEATES(However you spell it))
Antigen
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Antigen »

I actually owned GT2, MGS and respective Bleem! packs before I even considered buying a PSX. Truth be told, I was never interested in PSX gaming since I only wanted to play a handful of games. I can honestly say that the Bleem! packs was a major reason for me buying a PSone and now, more than a dozen games. :D

After playing GT2 on my DC, I didn't want to play it on my PSone because of the inferior graphics but also because I preferred the DC controller for racing games. It's really too bad Bleem! is gone now but at least we know an open source PSX emulator for the DC with great speed and compatibility is possible as long as the developers are as talented as the Bleem! guys.

Thanks for the excellent Bleem! packs and best of luck to you guys in all your future endeavours.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Hey Bleem! crew,

How about you take a look at the one at this one and tell us what you think of it :D, if you want you can edit it....

j/k about editing.... Was it similar to the one you guys made?
Rican_x
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Rican_x »

This beta had given me hope for all DC emulators. It shows that done right.... the DC is a lot faster than we all gave it credit for. Now I'm pretty sure that a super nes emu can run at full speed with the right knowledge. I wold have loved to see a full retail version for sale. With the legal mumbo jumbo..isnt anyone from the bleem team at least allowed to share what they have learned, or point people who are interested in doing the same in the right direction?

As for the Bleem team.... I have a love/hate relationship wit them. Their promoter talked a lot is sh!t and made a lot of promises that never came to fruition on both PC and the Dreamcast versions.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Hi, i'd like to thank the makers of bleemcast I bought GT2 disc and love it. One thing that really dissapointed me though was the cancellation of the 100 disc packets. With the release of this beta I see so many game working very well, my question is why did you decide to cancel the 100 discs. If you released the 100 disc version i'm sure you coulda beat sony to the punch. Anyways i'd like to say I love bleemcast and really appreciate ally your gusy hard work.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

law56ker wrote:N/A.com

please submit your combatibilty results here thank you.
What the hell are you doing!! Remove that link at once!! Just incase you didnt know it had the Bleemcast! Beta file up there, which is a Warez file. WILL A MOD PLEASE REMOVE THE LINK THANK YOU
Last edited by Warmachine on Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudrasha
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Rudrasha »

I know it's been said so many time's already but, I love the Bleemcast team for the increable work that they did. Bleem & BleemCast have both been ahead of the time and proven what you really desirve if your playing for the emu. Thanks guys.
btrboyev
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by btrboyev »

I don't see why we can't post the beta here now. The creators are talking about it. Why not let people just have a peak at what the creators created on the dc in only 4 months? Its amazing.
btrboyev
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by btrboyev »

Also I would like to say unless sony has authorized you guys to destroy all of your source code(unlikely) what kind of legal issues could you possibly run into? As long as its not being profited from, i see no problems. Emulators are legal, sony knows this.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

I am not going to lye to you Rod even the version from only 4months of work is absolutely incredible, but I really want a later version is there anyway on earth you could release it , the source or whatever or even give some very helpful pointers to the guys at PCSXDC. I bought all three bleem packs and currnetly am struggling to get MSLUG to run on your on the version in question. I know you re not obligated in anyway to do this but pleeeeez we love yuour work and would like to see it in a more presentable form. My question also is that if your version was 4 times better than what the beta is why didn't you release that when you sold the other bleempacks and sold new versions to it? I am juist wondering thank you.

P.S- Pleeeez release it.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

btrboyev wrote:I don't see why we can't post the beta here now. The creators are talking about it. Why not let people just have a peak at what the creators created on the dc in only 4 months? Its amazing.
  1. the creators are not happy with the fact that the beta is out in the first place

creators and dcemulation may incur legal repercussions(sp?)

it's copyrighted and not open-source

talking about illegal code and using illegal code are two diferent things
which lead me to my questions.
  1. the person(s) making PSXDC are creating their own emulator with slow but steady success. yet if he gained some "inspiration" from the leaked beta would that make him a bad person?

would the creators frown upon him if he (PSXDC) did so?

are the bleem!cast creators willing to throw a few "hints" to the PSXDC creator?
[/list]