A few words about the beta

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by OneThirty8 »

Sony was definitely wrong in the whole matter. Emulators are not illegal. What they did was take some gifted coders and entrepeneurs and say, "Hey, you have to stop that because we want you to. Not because there's any law preventing you from what you're doing, but because have enough financial clout to keep you from continuing to do what you're doing by tying you up in a court battle that we can afford more than you can." Sony should have seen bleem!cast as a good thing. It would allow people who had a dreamcast and couldn't afford a new system the ability to purchase and play playstation games, and increase software sales and revenue for sony. I know if I were selling licenses and development kits to companies to develop software for some system I created, and somebody figured out a way to make that software work on more systems, I would encourage them because it would mean more people would be buying software from me and my licensees, and that would mean I might sell more software development kits. Bleem!cast is a great piece of software, and those who developed it deserve none of the foul treatment they got from Sony.

I must admit I have seen the beta in action, and considering it was an early beta, I was pretty damn impressed. So impressed, in fact, that I went to Electronics Boutique last night and picked up the bleem disc for Tekken 3. I would have bought all 3 but they only had the one. Those of you who have only seen the beta are missing out. I was honestly suprised, even after hearing that it enhances the game, by how much better it looked. I was expecting a little improvement, but after seeing it on my DC, I can't stand to look at the same game on my PS2. It's truly amazing, and it's a shame that Sony saw it as a threat instead of the great thing that it is, and the great thing it could have been if were allowed to continue.
elevatorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by elevatorman »

hey, i got a ? about the whole cant make anymore bleem products thing. you know where sony sued till it was no more.

y not just do what i would of done. you cant make any more money off it, no chance of doing anything else with it. so what i would of done is declare it public domain, since freeware means you still hold the copyrights and can still be sued, and release the source for all variations of bleem. by doing so you stick it to sony by screwing em over. they can no longer do anyhting to you, and all that money spent on shuting beem done is wasted. by now i bet bleem on dreamcast could be very pop, and bleem could most certainly be ported to the xbox, making sony lose even more in small amounts hardware sales.

hey, on the plus a ps2 emu is running commercail games now, hopefully it will be ported to xbox, what a hoot that would be.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Sony probably demanded that the code as well as the name never be shared, distributed, or used anymore.
JMD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JMD »

I don't understand why the 3rd companies didn't want an emulator to help them to adapt a game from Psx to DC :
1 - They make a great game for PSX.
2 - They adapt in few week this game (with the help of Bleem) to DC : quick and cheap
3 - They sell it as a DC game : best Graphix, new game for DC ...

Everybody should be happy :D
I think Sony shouldn't be so angry with this method :? but maybe the Sony licence made this impossible.

I remember the Amiga/AtariST years were a great part of Amiga games was just a quick adaptation of Atari ST with better sound. I loved my Amiga anyway ...
There is the theory of Möbius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

they havent posted for quite a while and then you guys just ask warez questions that are worst then mine...:/
juggalo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by juggalo »

elavatorman said:
"hey, on the plus a ps2 emu is running commercail games now, hopefully it will be ported to xbox, what a hoot that would be."

What a great concept. Never thought of it before. Sony would be Super Pissed! ... and maybe Billy Boy and The Big M$ wouldn't mind so much.

Just imagine, "In Theory Only"- a full speed PS2 emulator running on the XBOX. Now, let's see if Sony can run Microsoft out of court with high cost court fees. I don't think so! Sony would just need to learn to deal with it.
mmmmm... Hopefully this PS2 emulator turns out nice and very fast.
Does this excite you...
Does it not stagger the imagination...
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

What kind of machine does it take to run PCSX?
No signature.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

I assume you meant PCSX2, runs fine on my 2.8ghz p4 (big shock there), it ran some demo's sort of reasonable on my old p2 350. The build that the shot of MK came from hasn't been released yet.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Kraft
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kraft »

OneThirty8 wrote:Sony was definitely wrong in the whole matter. Emulators are not illegal.
Actually, though I don't have the Playstation user contract, I am willing to bet there is a subject that says you can't reverse engineer it in an attempt to reproduce or alter its functionality of design. This clause which is found in pretty much every game system's user contract gives the companies firepower against illegally made systems, mod chips and last but not least: emulation.

I'm not agreeing with Sony's stance to tear down bleemcast, as I would have bought more playstation games with the bleem!packs had they been available so they still would have made money... but I am betting they had some pretty sound legal reasoning on their side of the court room.
Commodore?! On my dreamcast?! *almost wets himself*
Xbox fans: check out http://www.xboxaddict.com
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Is the beta a reason to reopen the closed bleemcast forum?
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

Hawq wrote:I assume you meant PCSX2, runs fine on my 2.8ghz p4 (big shock there), it ran some demo's sort of reasonable on my old p2 350. The build that the shot of MK came from hasn't been released yet.
No I believe he meant PCSX itself ... not the ps2 emulator. If optimized enough it could run well on the DC.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Some of you aren't understanding something...

bleem!cast was allowing people to play the greatest hits of the PSX on Dreamcast. If someone doesn't have a PSX and wants one for GT2, MGS, or TK3, all they need to do is purchase bleem! and that's it! However, there might be a few other games that they want, but don't want them enough to purchase a whole new system now that they'be got GT2/MGS/TK3. Sure it allows Sony to sell 1/2/3 games, but what about the ton of other games that person might have bought if he WAS open to the wide library of PSX games? It was pretty clear that bleem! wasn't going to be able to make a bleem!pak for every one of the PSX's hits, especially huge ones like the Final Fantasy series games. I'm not saying what Sony did was morally correct, but don't call them stupid.
It's thinking...
Kraft
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kraft »

What is worse than Sony is people trying to make money now on the Bleem!Team's beta work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=4305

For some reason I don't think he is talking about EPSX (or however you spell the other C-written psx emu)...
Commodore?! On my dreamcast?! *almost wets himself*
Xbox fans: check out http://www.xboxaddict.com
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

PCSX2 runs good on your 2.8 ghz machine? What kind of compatibility does it have? I'd thought PS2 emulation was far from being truely useful.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

Lartrak wrote:PCSX2 runs good on your 2.8 ghz machine? What kind of compatibility does it have? I'd thought PS2 emulation was far from being truely useful.
Demos pretty much only run , and commercial games are beginning to show up loading, however not completely, just loading screens. It will be a while before we see the PS2 fully emulated.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Kraft wrote:What is worse than Sony is people trying to make money now on the Bleem!Team's beta work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=4305

For some reason I don't think he is talking about EPSX (or however you spell the other C-written psx emu)...
Ebay doesn't allow you to list emulators. I tried to get to ebay to report this, but it seems like it is down. Can anyone else not access ebay? 6:44PM EST
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

farrell2k wrote:Ebay doesn't allow you to list emulators. I tried to get to ebay to report this, but it seems like it is down. Can anyone else not access ebay? 6:44PM EST
Works for me, 6:49 EST, but I don't know how to report it. (Know nothing about e-bay)

Rand, I think you should go to every single persons house who is selling the cracked beta and kick the sh|t out of them. We are all here to back you up if you need it :)
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

After playing Ridge Racer Type 4 on the Bleemcast beta, I realized what a shame it was that Bleem shut down. The menus on the game were a bit messed, but in-game, the game looked better and it appeared to run at 60fps instead of 30fps.

I wish that Bleem was still about, I'd have loved to play more PSX games on my DC. O well, will have to stick to ePSXe on my PC for enhanced PSX games now :mrgreen:
Rudrasha
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Rudrasha »

Gmc wrote:After playing Ridge Racer Type 4 on the Bleemcast beta, I realized what a shame it was that Bleem shut down. The menus on the game were a bit messed, but in-game, the game looked better and it appeared to run at 60fps instead of 30fps.

I wish that Bleem was still about, I'd have loved to play more PSX games on my DC. O well, will have to stick to ePSXe on my PC for enhanced PSX games now :mrgreen:
Yeah to bad people just seem to have givin up totaly on PCSXDC. I wish PCSXDC would of least got cd swaping support, saving and sound. Ohh well. If anyone even starts on Sound for it then mine's well not right it unless it's in SH4 ASM that way it wont hinder the already super slow play rate that it has.
ssj4goku128
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ssj4goku128 »

Actually, the only thing that needs to be done is hardware rendering[to speed it up greatly]. Its doing it using software rendering right now. I would do something about it only Pete has not released his source to the open gl plugin as of yet[Though, we could work and try to transform it into a hardware rendering plugin].
"So I gotta be carefull, can't let tha evil of tha money trap me
so when ya see me #@#$%
ya better holla at me "

Tupac Shakur[1971-1996]
Makaveli[1996-????]