Memoria

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Memoria

Post by Quzar »

Anyone know of this homebrew RPG? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/82 ... nav_search

I couldn't find any reference to it here and google turned up nothing. On a thread where this guy announces it though, someone mentions enjoying the DC version ( http://www.mariokartwii.com/threads/115235-PC-Memoria ).

Interested in more info on it.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Memoria

Post by Indiket »

Never heard of it... Dreamcast always surprises me!! :D

Looking at the same forum, there's another interesting thread:
http://www.mariokartwii.com/threads/114 ... me-Delimma

a) He developed "Memoria" using the Katana libraries!
b) It was Free in a Sega-Dreamcast related forum !?
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Would have been nice if it was completed on Dreamcast...

The project had a very modest target of 7,000$.
Anyway the team had incredibly little to show and in all it's time the project was never updated explains why it failed so bad.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Katana would explain why I never heard of it. Since it was a relatively short demo it likely didn't go much further than whatever site he released it on.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Things I don't like: Project description comprised of 60% history, 5% hand-drawn promo art poorly cropped (if there's a previous version of the game, why not showing screenshots?), 33% money/pretentious business talk ("Nintendo licensed the few of us here", "porting the game away from 16-bit "top-down" view [...] and into full 3D worlds" - without making even a tech demo to prove they're capable -, costs, more costs, sales, hyping up to cover costs, driving sales, etc.) and only a tiny percent of indication that they actually got the technical skills required ("experience with programming already at least somewhat established" - which is vague as hell). And no indication whatsoever that the gameplay would actually be fun.

The whole thing sounds like a shady business.

[edit] I've read the other two links now. Personal issues, teamwork hell, and project management hell. There wasn't any chance.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I feel bad about being hard on them given that they only wanted 7,000$ man...
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

But their Kickstarter page gives a really bad impression.

Their announcement thread at the Mario Kart Wii forums was much better. They could have achieved their goal if they had put that same info in their project description at Kickstarter.

But eventually, the teamwork and management problems would make the project fall apart. I've experienced such things, and from what he described, their situation was as bad as mine.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Well that is a solid point.

Like seriously, you have successfully neutralized anything I could say to defend the developer.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I have to agree: everything about that screams "lack of polish." Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Something I'd be interested in following, sure, but not something I'd want to throw any money at until there was a finished product ready to sell.

It's also a little concerning that people looking to make a JRPG write with so many typos and weird grammar/syntax. That could just be the person who set up the Kickstarter page, but the forum thread about the demo release makes mention of errors in the game text.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Honestly I am extremely hesitant to do Kickstarters... I don't mind waiting and all but shit even when these things work they take forever and there is always something to be disappointed about. So far the results have been mixed or bad.

My first Kickstarter would technically be Redux and it is a prime candidate for a class action law suit. Especially since people successful punished Sega for Alien Colonial Marines.

My second Kickstarter was Service Games and while it was delayed 6 months and was an immense improvement over the original. It added some new problems. The Kickstarter backers were promised there name in the back of the book. Some weird shit happened in post production and David had the choice to either reduce the font size or remove some content. He ended up writing the backers names in a paragraph instead of a table. He also removed references altogether.

Quite disappointed with that but the book turned out alright. I am working with him to launch a website and address the hiccups.

My third Kickstarter was Pier Solar and I am pretty sure it will be at least another 3 months before it comes out. So all backers end up waiting an extra year.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

cube_b3 wrote:there is always something to be disappointed about.
Nobody is perfect.

However, there's a difference between the final product having some negative aspects that don't affect its purpose, and the final product being unusable or not coming out at all. I was not nitpicking this RPG project, I was just pointing out the strong tendency towards the latter.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Where do you think Redux falls?

The game looks nowhere near as advertised, it is buggy, and it often crashes.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I'd have to play it to know.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I will announce a contest soon and you can participate in it :P