Beginner......... Kinda.........

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Brian.Washechek
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner......... Kinda.........

Post by Brian.Washechek »

Hello!

I'm sure several of you have read my posting before, and I'm sorry, but I still don't get it! I'm really sorry and I thank you for your patience! I just don't get where to start! I have a request regarding the loss of my code. My code used to be lost by who i USED to refer to as an "unnamed idiot" in all my posts. But now I'm telling the truth, and giving him the online recognition he deserves

His name is Bill Eckerson and he kept the entire collection of my games. Why am I complaining, you wonder? Because like an IDIOT, he only kept the executables, AND THREW AWAY THE CODE! He didn't used to be an IDIOT, but now he is. My games won't even run in Windows anymore! He threw away the code, and he can't even live up to what he's done! Like a testicularly handicapped sissy-pants, he blames my mom! If you view his Facebook page, there is a picture of him staring at code............ WOWIE!!! "He must be a computer nerd because that's code and i don't understand it!" is what you're supposed to think, but instead I liken him sitting in front of code to a hungry wolf watching birds from a bush, drooling over its next meal. My EX-BEST FRIEND Bill is completely responsible for the absence of the code for my games!

Wait a second, he threw the blame baton at my mom! Oh, it's all HER FAULT, Not Bills!

I still have the executables, though. I am very un-thankful for them. They won't run in Windows anymore, so all they do is haunt me! They serve as an insult from Billy. It's like taunting a starving dog by nailing a piece of meat to a pole just two feet out of his reach!!

My game exist in a lost past that I can't resurrect and have to learn to start accepting.

I would like to program for the Dreamcast. An EXECUTABLE of my games is attached to this message. NOT THE CODE, JUST AN EXECUTABLE!!! GrrrRRRrrRRrrR!! Anyway, I would like to program a pseudo sequel/remake of the game for DC. My attachment is game in executable format, and I pretty much consider the .exe un-decompilable and insulting trash. However the level files are simply text files and perhaps can be revived and added onto

This post is a request for your help. I want to use the .lvl files a rebuild the game for DC.

If you can get .exes running, I'm jealous of you. I can't get them to run, but I've seen them run on some older computers and it just saddens me terribly. The misery is overwhelming. Not that I'd really be able to edit them anyways, but they still fill me with fury!!!

(Brian bites his lip and swears inside his head at Bill.)

Actually as a result of this, I now really hate the fact that I was even friends with him. if you understand my pain here is a link to his Facebook page.

I'm asking if you can point me toward some DC programing tutorials? I'm looking for BASIC line drawn based tutorials to get me started on the rebuild of this game. I would like a link to the code of "Asteroids". Because the entire game is line drawn. For absolute starters, I have

<filename>----------------------------------<file description>

gmon.out----------------------------------<out file>
main--------------------------------------<cpp file>
main.o-------------------------------------<o file>
Makefile.win-------------------------------<WIN File>
pulse_Destructor--------------------------<Dev-c++ Project>
pulse_Destructor-------------------------<Application>
pulse_Destructor.layout-------------------<.layout file>
("Pulse Destructor" is the tentative title.)

If that's at all wrong, please say so! I'm on a "help" forum, I think...

Seriously, thank you if you're going to help!
Attachments
score.gif
score.gif (8.54 KiB) Viewed 890 times
highscore.gif
highscore.gif (7.04 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Force Disruptor.7z
My old games in (sob) executable format!
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by Brian.Washechek on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Beginner......... Kinda.........

Post by PH3NOM »

So, you want someone to re-write a game that you wrote, without any source code to start with? Lol :lol:

You best bet would be to re-write the game yourself, after all, no one here knows that game like you do :o

Do you have a working KOS Tool Chain installed?
If not, I posted a tutorial of how to do that under Windows:

Code: Select all

http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=102800#p1041492
Once you get that far, start compiling and running some of the examples included to get the flow of things down.

Good luck!
-Josh
Brian.Washechek
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

So, you want someone to re-write a game that you wrote, without any source code to start with? Lol :lol: 0
No, I'm not asking anyone to rewrite it. Like it was in part one, I'm going to be the author myself.

By the way, my code was consumed by Bill Eckerson! So in regards to the code that produced the the screen-shots, I have almost nothing. I have some executables that will run on older machines.
GrrRrrrrrrrRrRRRRRRahhRRRRRRRRRRgggauGGHrRRGHRRRRRRRRRrRrrrrrrrrr
I think his internet aliases are Birubutt and EX-(Zombie Hunter).

I think KOS tool chain is possibly a Linux emulator? I apologize for my lack of knowledge regarding such things...... Am I right, though? I have a Linux machine with Ubuntu Linux version 9.04. It's ancient, but so is the Dreamcast!
Last edited by Brian.Washechek on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Brian.Washechek
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

By the way, does Dreamcast game programming require special CDs? I think I may have to buy blank Dreamcast GDs(and perhaps a GD burner?). That could be expensive, considering the age of the DC.

If the answer to disk question is '"Yes."(which i'm betting on), where do I purchase the GDs I need?
If the answer is "No."(which i'm hopping for), then how do I deal with this?

It's just that it would be nice to actually play my game on the DC when I'm done. And I'm not willing to hand over $300,000 for a blank GD to see my creation run on the DC.