auto-boot a ROM

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

auto-boot a ROM

Post by arcticfeather »

Instead of loading an emulator which gives a list of ROMS would it be possible to make an emulator that automatically boots a user defined ROM and immediatly play that?

Arctic Feather
AbsoluteXero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AbsoluteXero »

only if the author lets you, like NesterDC
snake78
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by snake78 »

Yeah, with NesterDC, if you have a rom named game.nes it will skip all menus (except the startup.bmp) and load it. It works well. Single game discs make it seem more like a real nintendo (though kind of a waste of cdrom space, but I still like it for some games).
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Wouldnt this waste a helllllllllllll of a lot of CD's tho???
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

but it definately has a use.. if you only like *one* game for that system, why burn a cd with tons of games?
-miah
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
snake78
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by snake78 »

Yeah, like I said, it is kind of a waste, but what I did was put a bunch of Tecmo Sports games on one disc and had it autoboot to Tecmo Super Bowl 2k2 (TSB hacked for the 2k2 season). Even though it auto boots that one particular rom you can always exit back to the menu to play a different one.

Or you could put all your roms on one disc and have it auto boot the one that you like the best.

And even though it may be a waste to have only one game per disc, it still makes it seem more like a real NES, which is, after all, the main point of emulation.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

That's what I did with my Castlevania roms...had it autoload Castlevania1, and then you could go back to the menu and play the others...and I did the same thing with Super Mario Bros...but on that disk, I had all of my roms.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

I get your point more now, does still seem like a waste but i wouldnt mind doing it with a few games :D
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
emperordahc
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Zelda

Post by emperordahc »

Hey, got a disc w/ only the Zelda 1 ROM on it. Got a case for it and everything. I am... a sick man.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

LOL, thats what i've done. Only with Mario. Its lookin good :lol:
keis
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by keis »

Is there any type of self boot to a specific rom for SNES emulator?

Specifically DreamSNES?
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

bucky ROM

Post by arcticfeather »

As NesterDC does this i could use it to boot Bucky O'Hare, but i have never used NesterDC and have only used the ROM with NESticle

unfortunately the ROM crashes in quite a few places does anyone know if this is the ROM or the emulator?

I would d/l another emu and try it, but i'm lazy :D

Thanx

Arctic Feather
snake78
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by snake78 »

Well, Nesticle sucks. About 4 or 5 years ago it was the best. But there are many pc NES emus that are better (nester, nesten, unester, fce ultra, rocknes, virtuaNES), and NesterDC kicks the crap outta most of those.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

don't forget Jnes!
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

Yeah, personally, I think NESten and UNester are the best. NESten has the easiest file selection method, but UNester supports a few extra mappers that NESten doesn't. I would definately try playing with those.
timefun
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

sounds good

Post by timefun »

yeah guys i like the idea!

a request to all emu auth. (snes,nes,dcgen,smeg,....all)

how about save a game to vmu for auto load in any game we like.
so when completed half way we don't need to seek for zelda, sonic, castlevania etc.. in the next power on.

thanks ..
The Jester
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by The Jester »

you could buy some of those small disks that hold like 200 megs or so, and write the autoloading games to there.. that would be VERY cool. I want to try that.
dark2
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re: auto-boot a ROM

Post by dark2 »

Massive bump. Anyone know if any DC SNES emulators allow for autoloading of a particular rom as of 2013?

I want to make a custom cd for Blackthorne, a personal favorite ;)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

No kidding; 11.5 years :o

The first thing you should be aware of is that Super Famicast, DreamSNES, and SNES4All (the three reasonably mature SNES emulators for Dreamcast) only run at about 70% speed, which means you'll either have to play with sound off, suffer significant slowdown, or have a choppy frame rate. If you want your game to play full-speed (or close to it), you're going to have to disable the sound.

If you're looking for the best way to play the game on you TV, the Dreamcast ain't it. Both the Xbox and the Wii (along with countless other devices, up to and including smartphones, computers, and various Android-based gadgets) have better, faster, more feature-rich emulators for SNES. Active emulator development on the Dreamcast more or less ground to a halt several years ago, simply because of the DC's extreme lack of horsepower compared to other, similarly inexpensive platforms.

If the point is to play it on your Dreamcast, either program will give you a playable experience, but I don't think either title supports auto-loading of a ROM. Nothing you could use to put together an automatic, "professional-feeling" game disc... but then again, the emulation speed would disabuse you of any feeling of polish pretty quickly anyway. The Dreamcast just isn't powerful enough to push a full-speed SNES emulator with all the bells and whistles.

However, an SD card adapter was recently developed for the Dreamcast. Since you can't put together the autoboot discs you want for SNES, you could dodge the need to make discs in the first place and load all the emulators/ROMs you want onto that. I know it's not the answer you wanted, but it is something to consider.

Unfortunately, the ability to make automated single-ROM discs was never a particularly high-demand feature. The only DC-based emulators I'm aware of with such a feature are NesterDC and some of the arcade emulators.
dark2
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by dark2 »

Thanks for the info. I was thinking maybe I could get a PAL version rom and it would run faster... I think I saw something about that and getting a speed boost in dreamsnes on these very forums years ago. You did answer my question though - which is, no, I won't be able to autoboot it :(