Mac DC tools don't work on modern OSX

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Mac DC tools don't work on modern OSX

Post by BlueCrab »

I.M. Weasel wrote:Even though BCrab mentions 3.2.x, im hoping i'll have no problem building for 10.3/10.4 architecture. Of course i'll also recompile MDT Services. I can't recall but I think in my research i found that xcode 4.x wont run on snow leopard (or that you had to use a special version of 4.x to run on snow leopard).
As long as you set the deployment target correctly for each architecture you want to build for, you shouldn't have a problem at all. Also, I'd recommend 3.2.x over 3.1.x, as I don't remember if 3.1.x can build for x86-64 (of course, since any x86-64 machine can run x86 binaries without a hitch, this shouldn't be that big of a deal).

Basically, what I do is as follows (for CrabEmu), using the 10.4u SDK as the base SDK, and using GCC 4.0 as the compiler:
For PowerPC, set the architecture type to "ppc", and the deployment target to Mac OS X 10.3.
For x86, set the deployment target to Mac OS X 10.3 (yes, this seems odd, but it doesn't really make much of a difference in this case).
For x86-64, set the deployment target to Mac OS X 10.6 and set the base SDK to the 10.6 one.

Xcode 3.2.6 has no problem shoving all of that together into one fat binary, and everything seems to work pretty much as intended across all the platforms. As long as you don't use any 10.4 and later APIs, setting the deployment target to 10.3 should make everything work fine on 10.3 and later. In theory, if you don't use any 10.3 APIs, you may be able to set the deployment target to 10.2 and that should work as well. However, you may need to set it to use GCC 3.x to build for 10.2 (I don't really remember, as I dropped CrabEmu's support for 10.2 a few years back). Either way, I'm relatively sure you could probably drop 10.2 support and not really upset anyone anyway. Especially if you're not actually changing anything and adding new functionality -- just point people to the old binary if they really want to use it on 10.2.

Oh, and I personally prefer the way Xcode 3.x works to Xcode 4.x. I was one of those stragglers that stayed behind on Xcode 2.x until I couldn't do so anymore, and I'll probably do the same with 3.x.
andor
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by andor »

I'm eager to see this Mac DC tools working on Intel OS X, I just gave my old PPC Mac Mini as a gift a week ago and I found they don't work on intel :(
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I'm an ass. Im going to start work on it today. Sorry for the wait. :(
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Hi there,

Im having some issues recompiling all the needed unix tools that is required of MacDreamTool. I made a post asking for help in the Programming discussion, but no one has come forward to assist me.

For the time being though, that is somewhat moot. I had my mac stolen out of my luggage during a plane trip and considering my location it is very hard and expensive to get a suitable mac here. So sadly the project is postponed for several months. I will try to get it out as soon as possible. I am very sorry for the delay.. I wish it didnt have to be like this but again, such as life.

Thanks to everyone waiting, and all of my supporters. This is important to me and I will make my best efforts to get the product out when my situtation allows.

IMW

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Honestly, at this point, since you lost your computer anyway, why not just go full 64-bit? Honestly, it's been quite a while since Apple has released a 32-bit Mac. Those that have a 32-bit Mac in operation aren't using it as their main computer, so I don't personally see i386 support as necessary for something as niche as this.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

We've still got that 2007 MacBook, if you're interested :P
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

|darc| wrote:Honestly, at this point, since you lost your computer anyway, why not just go full 64-bit? Honestly, it's been quite a while since Apple has released a 32-bit Mac. Those that have a 32-bit Mac in operation aren't using it as their main computer, so I don't personally see i386 support as necessary for something as niche as this.
Well its not so much that I dont want to do it, but I wanted to not have any gaps in OS/Architecture coverage.. So if I put out a 64bit version, would The few users of i386 32bit users be out of luck?
DaMadFiddler wrote:We've still got that 2007 MacBook, if you're interested :P
Actually, yes kind of. But it would also require shipping to Peru.

Immortallix
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Immortallix »

Hey Weasel any updates or progress on the program?
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Heya, there sorry. As of now, I have not moved on it in quite awhile. (been working on my game guides, and my games). But this a project I shouldve finished-acted on last year - like I said I would. I just got a little money flow so I think ill be the hardware I need to finish this project really soon.

I just have to get over the small hurdle i mentioned in the programming thread. I should be getting a mac within 20 days, and hopefully get it done a month afterward. Sorry for the wait, and thanks for caring.

Fiddler, do you still have that 2007 mac?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=102479

DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I have a fully functional 2007 black MacBook with a dead battery and... Mountain Lion, I think? The most recent OS it'll run; it's too old for Yosemite.

I also have a 2008 15" MacBook Pro with a newish battery and Yosemite, but the wifi doesn't work (you have to use an ethernet cable or a USB adapter).

Both are available.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I wasn't sure when or if you would respond AND still have a mac available, so I bought my own. Its got 10.6.8 installed, which should make some of the programming aspects a bit easier than last time. I will get started by the end of the month.