Dreamcast Media Center

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dreamcast Media Center

Post by PH3NOM »

Hey there man! Thanks for your interest.
I released the source with the project, so you are free to do what you want with it! Just please give me proper credit where due.

The /SD/ card is a bottleneck due to read speed of ~640kbps from my testing back then, it was much faster to stream from /CD/; IIRC I was decoding video at ~1200kbps.
I am curious what kind of read speed is achieved through /HDD/ ?
Dark Hayabusa
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dark Hayabusa »

PH3NOM wrote:Hey there man! Thanks for your interest.
I released the source with the project, so you are free to do what you want with it! Just please give me proper credit where due.

The /SD/ card is a bottleneck due to read speed of ~640kbps from my testing back then, it was much faster to stream from /CD/; IIRC I was decoding video at ~1200kbps.
I am curious what kind of read speed is achieved through /HDD/ ?
It is said that up to 40 mbps about
more details:
http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-2111-page-6.html

if you need more information I can ask Swat.
The only problem is that with the current upgrade Dreamshell is not running homebrew from SD HDD only time , and are working on a new update that will correct this and added some new features like support for software made ​​under Windows CE . While I believe that the support of the SD was unaffected ( as for testing while HDD support is resolved )
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

At 40 mbps it should be possible to stream loss-less un-compressed video, just a matter of finding the right resolution to fit that data rate.

It would be interesting to see how much faster my video decoder routine could benefit from the increased input bandwidth.

Problem is I do not have a DC-HDD for testing, and I would suspect that not many people do :o
Dark Hayabusa
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dark Hayabusa »

PH3NOM wrote:At 40 mbps it should be possible to stream loss-less un-compressed video, just a matter of finding the right resolution to fit that data rate.

It would be interesting to see how much faster my video decoder routine could benefit from the increased input bandwidth.

Problem is I do not have a DC-HDD for testing, and I would suspect that not many people do :o
I specialize in hardware environment mods, but not how it could help you with that since I live in Chile.