Help or tutorial on converting to SFD files

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
extrax6
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help or tutorial on converting to SFD files

Post by extrax6 »

I been downloading loads of vids off of youtube in .flv and .mp4 format. Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to convert .flv or .mp4 files into .sfd files to play on the dreamcast?
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Help or tutorial on converting to SFD files

Post by Ayla »

I know DCPlaya does play .flv files quite good. You should try that.
extrax6
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by extrax6 »

nahh. I found this player that plays videos at 704x480p. And i just need to know how to convert .mp4 or .flv files into .sfd to play them.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I'm assuming you mean the 'SFDC Player R11b' by OVERRiDE?

The majority of Youtube '.flv' videos are in resolutions smaller than 704x480, so recompressing them with a new video codec (sfd), let alone upscaling them (enlarging), will result in major video quality degradation. So in that situation, you're probably better off using OVERRiDE's modified version of 'Dcplaya' directly in the foramt you've downloaded them in.

In the case of the MP4 video, which will not play in any Dreamcast video player, you may want to ask over at one of the Russian forums how to convert them to the SFDC player format.

DCFAN
DC-SWAT
ImageImageImageImage
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by 41.3 »

Yup, while the SFDC Player itself is technically allowed to be distributed, I guess...

The only way to convert to that type of format requires a non-licensed copy of an official SEGA program to do it. In other words, the only way to convert videos to SFD is by using a warez released program.