Took DC apart, modded, and then......

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
spinksy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Took DC apart, modded, and then......

Post by spinksy »

Hey all

I had a go today at doing the Dreamcast reset button and thought at the same time I might aswell solder the 2 wires to the chip for when I over clock it (and run them to a switch - I havnt got the oscillators through the post yet so can't over clock it properly - was just going to put a wire to each part of the cut chip leg and run them to a switch and leave it in the 200mhz position - then when I get the oscillators through the post just add that)

Anyway thought it all went ok but when I put the Dreamcast back together and tested it there is no picture. The TV changed channel as soon as I put the Dreamcast power on (as it usually does) but the screen is just black? Also it only spins a disc when you press the reset button (and even then it just starts to spin then slows to a stop) I took the DC apart and checked I'd put it back together ok and all was fine - anyone any idea?

Tried a little trouble shooting in my head and - it's obvious that theres power going in ok etc, the DC is obviously giving a signal to the TV that it's on (through the scart cable) but then no picture. Any help is appreciated....
Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

Over-clocked : Dreamcast currently running at 240Mhz (switchable)

Internal VGA, extra cooling fans, disc activity LED, SD card reader done :-)

Dreamcast HD wanted
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: Took DC apart, modded, and then......

Post by Quzar »

Are you sure you didn't accidentally lift the wrong/other legs by the clock? IIRC there are two clocks one that feeds to the SH4 and the other to the PVR. If you accidentally lifted the latter...

I would recommend disassembling and looking very closely at your soldering. Maybe you attached the the wrong poles of the switch or something got out of whack when you put the cover back on?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
spinksy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by spinksy »

Right, just took both Dreamcast's apart and spent awhile examing them etc. I tried a few different things and turns out the switch dosent seem to be working. I tried just linking the cable in a peice of connector block and it worked straight away!

Anyone know which kind of switchs do and don't work? Is it something to do voltage?

Dreamcast HD wanted
spinksy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by spinksy »

Got this all sorted now, was a kind of silly mistake :oops:

please ignore thread :lol:

Dreamcast HD wanted