SD Interface and BBA/LAN Clones

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

SD Interface and BBA/LAN Clones

Post by Nico0020 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:29 pm

Anyone know anything about these projects? I have yet to run it through a translator, as I am about to leave. Anything here interesting?

Something about BBA/LAN adapter Clone
http://f17.aaa.livedoor.jp/~takotako/g2bus.php#g2usb

Another SD Interface
http://f17.aaa.livedoor.jp/~takotako/dc ... php#sdcard
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: SD Interface and BBA/LAN Clones

Post by Ex-Cyber » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:18 pm

It looks like he successfully cloned the LAN Adapter. The Ethernet chip used for that is probably not easy to obtain outside of Japan. He seems to be trying for a BBA clone, but it's actually better than that since he actually wired up a PCI slot. The hard/interesting part of the BBA is the PCI bridge chip; the actual Ethernet MAC is an extremely common Realtek part, to the point that it's actually easier/cheaper to just buy a PCI card with it already mounted rather than trying to source the chip itself and design/build the appropriate support circuitry.

As for the SD, it's not "another" SD interface, it's the original design on which the dreamcast.es adapter is based. I'm pretty sure this was explicitly stated in one of the threads about the project to get them made/sold.

He was posting here for a while, mostly in this thread.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer