laser needs re-calibration AGAIN?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: laser needs re-calibration AGAIN?

Post by mankrip »

|darc| wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:What you could do is using the data/data format in BootDreams. - All my Dreamcasts work with that, but some refuse to work with the audio/data format, or at least struggle with it.
That's not actually true; it was a myth started by people who couldn't use cdrecord properly combined with the fact that echelon changed their release formatting to a data/data format (for unrelated reasons).
|darc| wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:data/data works good for me and on all three Dreamcast's that I have in use, and audio/data doesn't
Then it's quite clear that if audio/data doesn't work on THREE Dreamcasts--and I'm assuming you are on PAL Dreamcasts, which never had a BIOS revision modifying MIL-CD support--then it's not the Dreamcasts, it's either how you're burning them or a problem with how your burner is handling something.
I know the opposite of what Chris is saying is true. The German DC I have here (which Chris donated to me years ago when my first DC stopped working) only reads audio-data CDs; it can't read data-data CDs and it can't read GDs. It has always been like that, and it's not a fault of the discs, since my data-data CDs worked with my first DC and still works with my third DC which I purchased last year. The lack of reading GDs may be a calibration issue, but I really have no idea why it doesn't recognize data-data CDs. Anyway, this little issue was irrelevant for me because it didn't interfere with my DC development.

By the way, thanks for it again Chris, you helped me a lot :).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
intro
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by intro »

thanks darc.

ok i'm attempting the cd writer within bootdreams and there's a couple of things i need to mention. the first time i tried i got an error message saying i didn't have enough virtual memory so i went in and changed the memory for my laptop to minimum 700mb max 800mb, about twice the recommended (my laptop is pretty weak). i then tried again and i've been waiting for about the last 25 minutes for something to happen but there's no way for me to know. the laptop is working on something but the external writer definitely is not.

normally when i was using alcohol i would select the games which i keep on my ibook and everything would burn in about 20 minutes, with a bar showing me the progress and everything. why am i forced into the limitations of my laptop when before the ibook was working just fine?
intro
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by intro »

ok i've got a disc juggler cdi image burning through bootdreams this time. i'm assuming i'll have data/data then if all goes well.

just out of curiousity, i don't know if this had been covered before...i've been labeling my cdr's with scans from the original covers.
would those memorex labels affect the read? i've had that happen with music cdr's on my car's stereo.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

intro wrote:would those memorex labels affect the read
Maybe. Depending on the quality of the labels and the precision of the application method, labels can cause the disc to wobble more than it otherwise would.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
intro
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by intro »

damn. well it looks like it's not going to happen for me. i'm pretty disappointed to say the least.
burned a disc juggler ikaruga file in bootdreams but it's no different than the other one i've been trying. won't boot.
my gd-rom shenmue continues to work just fine, as do audio discs so at least i have a working system again, i was so excited about the emulators i had burned though.

i tried fiddling with the calibration again just a bit but all i could manage was to lose the ability to get the gd-rom to boot. at one point i did get the utopia boot disc to load but then it didn't do it again.
what a tease to have played nesterdc and dreamsnes just enough times to fall in love with those programs.

would it be worth it to buy a new system? this one was second-hand. i'd just hate to spend the money on a new one and then have the same thing happen again with the laser just 2 weeks out of the box.

should i just spend less and get another used one and hope for the best?

i appreciate all the help folks. thanks.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Manoel wrote:By the way, thanks for it again Chris, you helped me a lot :).
No prob. If anything, I should thank you for your excellent work on HexQuake/JoyMenu and nxMakaqu. :bow:
intro wrote:damn. well it looks like it's not going to happen for me. i'm pretty disappointed to say the least.
burned a disc juggler ikaruga file in bootdreams but it's no different than the other one i've been trying. won't boot.
I somehow assumed that we were talking about NesterDC. - BootDreams does not work with commercial games, and we don't allow discussion on how to burn them.

(For now I am leaving this thread open though.)
Insane homebrew collector.
intro
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by intro »

my bad.
intro
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by intro »

so how would i meter the laser then? where do the points go?