dc coders cable

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
olfogie1
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

dc coders cable

Post by olfogie1 »

I've been wanting to back-up some of my games as some of the disks are getting pretty scratched up but from what i've read you need a cable to link the dreamcast to your pc to do. I've read an article on making your own cable or i've found one to buy and was wanting to know if this dc coders cable is what I would need to connect to my pc to tranfer the ripped data? Thanks for any help here on this.
tmcw
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by tmcw »

First thing you should wonder is why your disks are getting so scratched. Are you tying them to your feet, and trying to use them as skates down your gravel driveway, or maybe the spindle inside your DC has dropped a little, and when the disk spins, it rubs and scratches against one of the two black soft peices inside the disk chamber.

Secondly, yes, you'll need to get a cable like the DC coders cable and appropriate software to allow your PC read the data from a GD-ROM inside the DC. But like the other guy said, peepz here won't help you. The info is out there though, and the software is available, just keep searching through google with appropriate keywords.
tmcw
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by tmcw »

Maybe you don't need extra software - have a look here:

http://www.the-console-corner.com/shop/ ... uctid=6036

Probably just like connecting up an old external serial Zip drive. Might be painfully slow to transfer across the data though.

Also, you need to find a way to bring the data size down to 650MB (if the game is larger), and you may read something about having to "pad the disk out with dummy files", but I don't know enough, sorry. Then you'll have dudes saying that playing backups will destroy your DC, but I personally think that's a load of cack.

Anyway, good luck with it, hope you find the info you need.