Overclocking problems? Yeah... another one

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
BadGoliath42
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Overclocking problems? Yeah... another one

Post by BadGoliath42 »

Hello guys. I've been reading this website for a while, but first time I post. ;) I searched on this forum for an answer, but nothing was clear.

I overclocked my DC to 240 Mhz by the way it's telling us on dcdev, though I had to find out myself some stuff. Here what I did.

I got a 40 Mhz surface mount oscillator, which is normally opened. In it's datasheet, it was saying that it was working from 4,5V to 6V. I checked all voltage from the IC305, and the only Vin I found was 3,3V, so I assumed the normal CPU clock OUT was 3,3V as well. I decided to try the oscillator separatly from the DC, and I was getting a good 40 Mhz signal with 3,3V even if the theorical minimum was 4,5V. So I soldered the output of the oscillator on in the hole next to the 33 Mhz pin (14) after having cut and raised it, soldered the Vin of the oscillator at pin 6, which was the 3,3V entrance to the IC305, and the ground to pin 1, which is the ground of the IC305 as well. Isolating all wires I used, I taped the oscillator ontop of the IC305, properly isolated from everything around it.

I thought first it wouldn't work, with my luck... But when I tried it, everythint could boot normally, therefore the frequency could pass. I could play my games, with some problems. First, I was never able to access my VMUs, on any slots, any VMUs, even in the Startup screen. I couldn't copy any files from it, neither erase anything, and obviously not write on them. More, some save data were erased :/. Second, I tried to play Quake III Arena with my mouse, and it was completly bugged. My mouse was only working sometimes, and even then, I couldn't really control my clicks or my movements.

So I am asking you, great community of DCEmu :), anybody knows if it's just an effect of overclocking our DC (bad communication with VMU, controllers problems, etc.) or if I did something incorrectly? Thanks already.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i might have an idea, not sure though

sounds like you people substitute the 33 mhz source with a 40 mhz source for the entire system, couldnt you just lift the clock leg of the SH4 and connect the 40 mhz crystal to that, leaving the rest of the system at 33?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
BadGoliath42
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by BadGoliath42 »

Well we can see that in the VMU there's a crystal as well. The thing is... this crystal is used to clock the VMU all the time or just when it's uses separatly from the Dreamcast? If we could find that out, perhaps we could try to overclock the VMU the same way as we did with the CPU clock. Perhaps I'll try to find that out...
Errare humanum est
It is in human nature to be wrong.

semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

I've seen an overclocked dreamcast on ebay coming with an overclocked vmu, he probably changed its crystal too.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:i might have an idea, not sure though

sounds like you people substitute the 33 mhz source with a 40 mhz source for the entire system, couldnt you just lift the clock leg of the SH4 and connect the 40 mhz crystal to that, leaving the rest of the system at 33?
Problem with that is that the SH-4 is an integrated BGA (ball grid array for you non-tech-savvy types) chip pressed right into the motherboard. There is no "leg" persay. Your closest bet for that would be to track where that specific pin/lead heads out of the SH-4, and lift it at a more promising source. Actually lifting a pin on the SH-4 is impossible.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

oh lol, hadnt considered it being BGA, well that stinks then, you would have to seriously start working on trace splitting and so on to have the sh4 on a different FSB clock then the rest of the system...

anyways, then the task would be OCing the VMU

by the way, does OCing the DC also affect the running speed fo the internal clock?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007