PSone sorta fried...but sorta didn't...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PSone sorta fried...but sorta didn't...

Post by FunkyPoopMonkey »

This is odd. Normally when a system fries, it wont turn on or have any visable action from the power.

Basically, I was playing Persona 2, in the middle of a fight, the system turned off. I said wtf, hit the power button again, nothing happened. I have the small psone, not the big ps1. I've tried using 2 different power cords. Neither work, so it's an internal issue. I've checked the mainboard and can't see any burnt areas.

Now here's the odd thing. The laser light red dot shows when the power is on. It shows whether the lid sensor is open or closed. (Normally the system would not even activate the red laser dot until it detects that the lid is closed.) The lens itself does NOT move or make any action. It stays on forever. Just shines the red dot.

I've had the system for over 3 years, but I don't consider that a good lifespan. Is this fixable?
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

That problem comes when you blow an onboard fuse... I woudl suggest jumping each fuse with wire until it work, then just bridge the broken one with solder for a temp. fix... But I'm not completely sure. I had this problem, and I think the fuse jump fixed it. I don't know though. Buy a PS2 to play Ps2 games on... Better. :kiss)
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Please don't be an ass and tell me to buy a PS2, when tons of people come on here with PS2 problems. Plus my official LCD screen I just got a month ago, will only snap on the back of PSone. (And yes, I have been using the AC adaptor that came with the LCD. I have not been using the lower wattage AC adaptor that came with the system.) Not to mention PS2's are $150, and I'm not going to pay that much just to play my PSone games. I paid $50 3 years ago for this system. Besides, this is called "Hardware Modification & Repair", but 90% of the time, people on here say "Buy a new one!". That's not repair, that's replacement.

I'm not insulting you, I'm just asking you not to do that.

Can you show a picture of what a fuse looks like on a psone?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

That is pretty weird. I don't know enough about the PSOne internals to say for sure, but it doesn't sounds like a blown fuse to me; in consumer electronics there's almost always just one fuse at the supply input and when it blows everything is gone. You may have a voltage regulator (or the external passives attached to one) acting up, but that's not something that is readily diagnosed over the Internet.

Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will pop up and make me look like an idiot, but that's what it looks like to me...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

::sigh:: I hope thats not it...I really took good care of this. Because now, you can't buy them brand new for a fair price. When stuff like this happens, I usually hook up my 16 year old NES, and just laugh. The stability of consoles today is a sick joke.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

No, Ps1 has about 5 or 6 fuses... 4 of them are on one circuit incase one doesn't blow fast enough,t he others will catch it. I was just playing by telling you to buy a PS2 becuase i just knew for some reason you would say what you did. Anyway... I have uploaded the pic of the fuses... Here you go. Jump all these until it works. If it doesn't, i may have another idea...
http://tinypic.com/2hzt5s
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

sounds like a failsafe came into affect and is blocking the system from booting up any further, like riva said a fuse
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

FunkyPoopMonkey wrote:The stability of consoles today is a sick joke.
Depends on manufacturer and design. For instance, an Xbox with a Thompson DVD drive *will* need that drive repaired or replaced within a few years. But the others will in most cases chug along happily for years to come.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

I think it is a fuse too. When I was installing an internal vcd card on my psone I jumped a wire when I was closing the lid and I blew a fuse. I had to use a miltimeter to go at every fuse on the damn thing until I found the blown one. Then I just replaced the fuse with a similar one from radio shack. If you have a multimeter, check all of the fuses. Good luck.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

riva16 wrote:No, Ps1 has about 5 or 6 fuses... 4 of them are on one circuit incase one doesn't blow fast enough,t he others will catch it. I was just playing by telling you to buy a PS2 becuase i just knew for some reason you would say what you did. Anyway... I have uploaded the pic of the fuses... Here you go. Jump all these until it works. If it doesn't, i may have another idea...
http://tinypic.com/2hzt5s
Um I have a small PSone, not a big PS1. Is this a picture taken from the small PSone? Just trying to make some sense of this. I can't locate that area on my board.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

That is a picture from a small psone. If you cared about my post at all, do like I said and check every black fuse that looks like the ones in riva's pic post with a mulitmeter. There should be a whole bunch near the power input, but there should also be a few, at least 1 up front near the controller board almost dead center of the unit. The fuse in the front of my unit is the one that blew. Check them all if you want to do it yourself. If you dont want to, Im sure you have a reapir shop around you that will do it for around 30 bucks. But since the fuses cost about a buck a piece you are better off doing it yourself.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

arrowhead wrote:That is a picture from a small psone. If you cared about my post at all, do like I said and check every black fuse that looks like the ones in riva's pic post with a mulitmeter. There should be a whole bunch near the power input, but there should also be a few, at least 1 up front near the controller board almost dead center of the unit. The fuse in the front of my unit is the one that blew. Check them all if you want to do it yourself. If you dont want to, Im sure you have a reapir shop around you that will do it for around 30 bucks. But since the fuses cost about a buck a piece you are better off doing it yourself.
Ok cool. On the multimeter, will these show a specific reading, or are they considered working if they all just display a number on the multimeter above 0.00? I've never gotten to take any courses in electronics, so I'm clueless.

Also, is there a link online where I can buy some of these fuses? Or do you know specifically what they are called? Model numbers...anything?
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Well...I'm finding a few of these little black boxes that dont give a number. I'm only trying the ones that are reletively the same size and shape of the 4 that were in riva's picture. I found one directly 1/4th inch south of the yellow AC input dealie that doesn't give a number. Although the number on it is different. It says "63" while the 4 that are in riva's pic say "20". Is that ok?

Edit: Ok this is retarded. Now all these black boxes are giving 0's. I don't understand what's going on. They were working a minute ago.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Fuses are supposed to read zero on an ohmmeter. If they were broken you would get no reading / "open loop" (OL).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Ex-Cyber wrote:Fuses are supposed to read zero on an ohmmeter. If they were broken you would get no reading / "open loop" (OL).
I don't know what you mean. Before I touch the needles to the sides of a fuse, it says 0.00, and after I touch it still says 0.00. With the exception of like...2 fuses that say 6.25 or so.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

What is the meter set on?
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

I was told to turn the nob to the "20" setting in the catagory that...is a big V, then a horizontal line with 3 dots under it. Like I said, none of this makes sense to me. Is there a freakin site that teaches all this lingo or what? I'm not even about to pay for classes.

Edit: Well anyways, if I can just confirm that this is unrepairable, then I need to quickly cut my losses, and sell my sony lcd on ebay to try and make back my money, while it's still reletively new.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

set it to read 1v, if you dont have 1v, set to 5v. all of the fuses should be reading something if your multimeter is working. Try touching red on one side black on the other, then switch.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

arrowhead wrote:set it to read 1v, if you dont have 1v, set to 5v. all of the fuses should be reading something if your multimeter is working. Try touching red on one side black on the other, then switch.
I did man. The little black fuses have these shiny metal plates on 2 sides right? Nearly all of them are fried. Well also, theres a couple that I dont think I'm touching because the needles are too fat to get inbetween multiple fuses.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I'm not sure why you would test fuses with a voltage measurement... generally you would measure fuses for continuity (or resistance if your meter has no continuity function). Unless those aren't actually fuses, heh.