Finally

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nick »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I know this isn't the case quite so much any more, what in this modern age of lazy ports and easily-converted PC sourcebase (glares at many companies that have done obviously sloppy jobs in porting their work to GameCube), but don't a lot of commercial games rely on a console having predictable, "closed" specs for timing/sync issues? Wouldn't fiddling with those specs break compatibility with a lot of official releases?
Yep, but I guess DCs are cheap enough that it would be fine even w/o a switch. Just have 2!

Oh and where would I buy these 40 MHZ chips? :)
Very sexy hero, omg
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

<(00<)bluepunk(> wrote:i saw this site like 6 months ago but i would of thought you guys would have known about it already.
we have known about it for quite some time, just the original edition was in japanese and unfortunately, even with the translations made at the time, it was hard to understand so we all shrugged it off. thankfully (and again, kudos mattthemodder), someone has went and did a "human" translation for us and it is MUCH easier to understand.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... tId=122037

Theres a 40mhz digital oscillator.

I plan on doing this for my DC in PC project, only hard part should be cooling.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

only hard part should be cooling
Got enough room for a low profile 486 heatsink and fan? That'll be 3x better than the original cooling
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

riva, I doubt you'll hit 350mhz regardless of what cooling you apply. It's going to need a hell of a lot more voltage to get it that high. Unless you figure out some sort of volt mod (video card style perhaps?) I _highly_ doubt it'll get anywhere near 350mhz.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

matt, i assume I do but I don't know how big one of those is. I can never find old junk like that around here. I'm probably gonna do something ghetto like using an open broken hard drive.

I might try overclocking it to 270mhz, and in addition may overclock the video too. Can ram be overclocked? Since this is a Phase Lock Loop chip onboard i'm surprised that no one has figured out how to change frequency output.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

mattthemodder wrote:
only hard part should be cooling
Got enough room for a low profile 486 heatsink and fan? That'll be 3x better than the original cooling
In many cases, it would not be. The DC uses shielding and sometimes heatpipes to pull the heat away so the fan can do the rest. A 486 heatsink (a really cheap, small, aluminum POS in other words) provides more surface area, but you could no longer properly take advantage of shielding plates or heatpipes. If you're going to replace the heatsink, replace it with something more significant, possibly with a slow (quiet) fan of its own to directly cool it. If you don't have the room for that, a low profile (1U) copper solution may be better.

As for overclocking the DC beyond 240Mhz, you'll start running into stability problems pretty quickly if you go too far. Some SH4s will go further than others. If you really want to push it, you'll have to put the DC in a slightly larger case (for those not already planning to do so) so you can signicantly improve cooling (a Saturn case would be an excellent candidate, actually). You also might want to see if there's a way you can slightly increase voltage to the core.

Onto overclocking other components... nobody has done this yet, AFAIK. But if you do overclock the memory a bit, you're going to actually hurt performance unless the bus is operating at that new speed as well. Heck, even overclocking the SH4 to 240Mhz can actually hurt performance a bit in some situations. Possibly because its running async? Somebody over at dcemu UK was testing this out.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

It hurts PVR performance because they are no longer running in sync with each other. With homebrew/emulators that don't really use the PVR that much it will help more than hurt, but on commercial games, its a coin toss, it really depends on exactly what is happening, overall it probably wouldnt make much of a difference.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Whatever heatsink I use will be on top of the existing heatspreader, I should have stated that earlier. If you increased the video and cpu with the same ratio they would still be in sync i would assume, that is what I might do.

Can you switch clockrates while the dc is on? You can do this on a lot of new pc's.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Can you switch clockrates while the dc is on?
Not sure. Maybe, but personally after doing a nice delicate overclock mod I wouldn't risk it :lol:
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Maybe I'll be the first to try.

Jameco doesn't really sell any oscillators in the range for bumping the cpu up higher than 240mhz. They don't sell anything that you could use to overclock the video either. I'm just gonna overclock to 240mhz, stock cooling with the added metal crap shown on the jap page and a extra case fan should suffice to cool the thing down. Right now I have 1 case fan running. My PC is 90F on average use, when I turn on the extra fan the temperature goes down to 75F.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

i may be WAY off here, but couldnt you run 2 oscillators in series to gain the extra MHZ needed to bring the sh4 up past 240?
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

You couldn't run two in series, they are both active devices. You could run 2 in parallel, maybe. The hardware might get confused because the clock cycles would be different time lengths and amplitudes in voltage. I would never recommend it.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

like i said. i may be WAY off. :oops:

im gonna have to check but i think i remember seeing one of these on an old ISA card ive got. im gonna check into it and see what MHZ its rated at if i can find it.

edit: i dont know if its exactly what is needed here, but to the guys whos wanting to hit the 300MHZ mark, i found this .
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

That is for an analog crystal, will not produce a square wave. I don't think anyone is gonna be able to hit 300mhz. If someone wants to go that high they could just use a 50mhz crystal from jameco
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

You'll probably need to add more voltage if you want to get close to 300
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Pyrosurfer wrote:Whatever heatsink I use will be on top of the existing heatspreader, I should have stated that earlier.
That may not help all that much. The further away, the more seperate materials and barriers, the poorer the conductivity. Just make sure the airflow is good.
Pyrosurfer wrote:If you increased the video and cpu with the same ratio they would still be in sync i would assume, that is what I might do.
I wouldn't assume that. I don't know exactly how the SH4, PVR, memory, etc, synchronize.
DCPepperoni
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DCPepperoni »

newbie here...

so to overclock.. i simply remove the third little slice of metal

and then the little black thingh should be removed...

i then replace this with a 40mhz.. one (which is indentical size????)

and solder the little metal strip it back on....

- now if am i going to cool this... where should i cut the holes in my dc...
or.... whihc parts will be getting hot... ie. motherboard? whole system?

- please respond
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

OK, how do I remove the plastic cover thingy from the CPU? Im trying to do this, but I don't want to damage the CPU in the process.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

note: noobs need not apply. ;)