DCEmulation

dreamcast development • homebrew software • hardware hacking • indie games • emulators • and more!
Back to main site
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:16 pm 
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

I've heard about replacing backlights with leds to conserve power, does that really look good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:38 am 
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

well turning the backlight up from 50% to 100% cost me an extra 0,20 Amp, but turning it down to 0 didnt give me 0,20 amp, maybe 0,10 Amp

i think leds are better power wise, but i havent seen a modded screen yet, so i dont know if the light is as good, and to be sure youd need to power test a led-lit screen

and yeah, 700 mah is crap, that will allow you to run for about 45 minutes, if your psone can stand the 11 volt input, wich im not to sure about, it might be OK with 9 volt or so, since all electronice have quite wide margins, but 11 or 12 volt might be tricky

im not perfectly sure, but higher voltage might make the psone use more current and heating up a lot more, so if you do try the high voltage battery, keep a close eye on things, as you dont want any overheating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:49 pm 
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Naw, riva16. Sorry. I dont have the stuff anymore. I sold it with my first ever nesp. It looked like crap, but the guy was awful nice and gave me 150 USD for it. Ive gotta build another nicer looking one for a school project, though.

Riva16, ask the guys at benhecks forum for help on that. I think I saw some link about building a custom controller for the psone lcd there. Not sure. But newbies are always breaking psone lcds there, so you could try your luck. Here is the link to the pocket tv part of that forum http://benheck.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/ ... um.php?f=8 . They should also be able to help on the energy consumption, they are pretty knowledgable in that area. Some have evn built GCp's and N64p's. Their nice, so they would help all they can.

Man, Im gonna get in touch with dkap01. I am REALLY interested in a case. I wonder how much it'll set me back.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:59 am 
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Ohh, i've seen LCDs modded with 4 white LEDs, and it really lights up, there's just no controll over brightness after that... I've powered the PSone on 11v, and it runs fine, there's 5v regulators in there that bring it back down, but they get hot...the LCD even ran fine... My battery will be fine for now... I'm looking intot he 1600 mah one from radioshack... thats twice my battery plus some...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:57 am 
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Riva16, why dont you use a dvd battery? They hold much more voltage, and can be bought at walmart(oh no!) or something. Im gonna use that when I make a sne portable :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:49 pm 
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

I think a tutorial on how to make a DCportable would be great that way all we would need is the Shell that dkap01 would provide so he doesnt have to take a lot of time to make it for you him self. SO a tutorial with the shell is all he would have to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:38 pm 
Somewhat Dumb Knight

He hasnt returned emails about the shell. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:17 pm 
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Dark Savant0 wrote:
He hasnt returned emails about the shell. :(

imagine how many he's gotten :wink:

im not sure that this is eomthing a tut can be written on, but riva is writing one on a psone portable so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:50 am 
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Quote:
i've seen LCDs modded with 4 white LEDs, and it really lights up, there's just no controll over brightness

Potentiometer (Pot) or small dial whatever you wanna call it.