Playstation 2 Mod-chip Installation

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Playstation 2 Mod-chip Installation

Post by molotovwars »

I've been meaning to put a mod-chip in my PS2 for quite some time now, so today I called the two places in my area that would do it, and both said it would cost me 120 for the chip + installation. Thats fucking ridiculous.

I was looking on http://www.modchip.com and the most expensive one was $69, but there are plenty of others on the site in the $30 range.

I don't know the model of my ps2, but I've had it for a few years, so its probably one of the earlier models, if you give me a way to check I can let you know.

Either way I'm looking for someone to install a modchip for me, I'll pay for the chip, shipping, and some for the installation too.

Which modchips do you reccommend? do I need to have a stealth mode option to be able to play online?

Thanks for any help
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

Check the back of the PS2. There should be a series of # that look like this: scph-xxxxxx (don't know how many #s there are, but you get the idea). That will tell your model #. Just match it up online. 500001's are the new models (not the slim ones).
Dreamcast: It's thinking. And it thinks you suck.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

Model No. SCPH-30001 R

According to http://www.chipzone.com/versions.cfm

My PS2 is version 5.

On http://www.modchip.com two are listed that I am interested in:

Magic V Plus Modchip - 34
Magic V Modchip - 29

I believe the only difference is that the Magic V Plus has fewer wires, so I guess it would be easier to install. If someone here is willing to help me out, than I guess we can decide if having fewer wires would be a big convienience and lower any labor costs.

Thanks again.
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

I can't install mod chips worth anything, but if you plan on doing it yourself, the less wires (and the bigger the contact points) the better. Less wires=less chance of screwing up. :lol:
Dreamcast: It's thinking. And it thinks you suck.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

NOT nessessarily... A mod chip would have 6 wires, BUT if they are all on one of the CPU's, your screwed... The pins are sooooo close, its not funny... Most fo the wires for PS2 chips aren't on chips though. A few are ont he BIOS though... Watch out.
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Rattrap51
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Rattrap51 »

I'd do it for you, never installed a PS2 mod chip before but I've worked on extremly delicate jobs before like soldering new micro switches into an MP3 player and can't see it being any kind of problem. The only problem would be the fact that you would have to buy the modchip, then ship it all the way here (Canada) and give me money to ship it all the way back. Seems like kind of a hassle, you'd save a lot of money and learn a usefull skill if you just picked yourself up a soldering iron, some sauder and did some LED/Controller mods to get used to it.

If you are working on small things the easiest way to solder is to just tin the wire (coat it with solder) and place it onto whatever you are soldering to then heat the wire, if you are soldering to the leg of an LED or something a little bigger like that, tin both things then apply heat. It's really not that hard to do, and if you screw up you can always fix it by using desoldering braid or a pump, it may be hard to do but I dropped a whole blob of solder between the pins of the chip in the DC controller and had to pump/dig it all out because it was somehow shortcircuiting the right dpad button and holding it down, eventually got it, electronics are more durable that you may think.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

i've done some soldering and have all the necessary tools, but i'm just very cautious about loosing my ps2, i'll have to think it over. I know my step-dad is good at soldering, but i'm not sure how good, ill get it figured out.
Rattrap51
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Rattrap51 »

If your that worried about it and willing to pay someone else to solder it in for you why not spend the extra money on a solderless modchip instead?
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

there aren't any solderless modchips for the playstation 2, at least none listed at http://www.modchip.com, the chip that was claimed to be no solder, was bullshit, b/c you still had to swap discs, or slide some magic card.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

double post
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Let me be honest with you, 120 dollars is about 20 dollars too much. But only 20 dollars. If you have never installed a PS2 chip yourself you have no idea how hard and annoying it is. When I put in mine, I almost wished I had a hundred bucks to pay someone else to do it just so I didnt have to solder/desolder anymore. The pins you have to solder on are insanely small and close together, and if you solder two points together and you didnt catch it, you can kiss your board goodbye. My chip was something like 32 wires. 32 SEPERATE WIRES for god sakes. And so close together. Take a look at the diagrams that come with your chip and ask yourself what the hassle would be worth to you. I would charge at least 70 bucks for installation of a ps2 chip, and thats only if that was my only job. I wouldnt touch a ps2 chiptoday, I would suggest a flip top and send the customer out the door. Save myself some hassle.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

yes, installing ps2 chip's is annoying, but i installed my dms3 in ~1 hour, so it can be done in a small amount of time, the hardest part is laying the wires so there is no interference between chips and the wires running accros the board.....

well, i can do it for 50$, if you order the chip and send the chip with the ps2. (also try http://www.divineo.com they can be cheap, and they can ship pretty quick),

i would recommend the DMS3 chip, or the DMS4 lite version, there on the cheaper side but they are definatly worth more then they sell.

PS, i have ref's on xbox-scene for people ive modded xbox's for, but ive only installed ps2 chip's locally...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

I have never worked with the DMS chips. I always worked with magic and messiah. A lot of wires and a lot of small points and on legs of chips. Seriously hard. Not impossible in an hour, but the work is so delicate and tedious. Maybe not so much with a DMS but if my v7 magic chip ever fails, or my system brakes, I will use a flip top.
poots
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by poots »

ps2 mod chips are not fun. less fun than xbox ones... infact make the xbox ones
look like a piece of cake.

its not worth getting angry to save money and possibly bust that ps2 of yours.
...If you are offended...
Then you dont know me.

__[Peace] = [Poots!]__

visit http://www.retrodesign.co.uk to help out
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

ps2 chip's arent fun, but there not hard.

there only hard if your trying to do it on a ps2 v 1-3 b/c you have to solder right on the controller chip. that hardest part of ps2's v4-7/8 is "point x". it's between a bunch of resistors so you have to be very carefull.

i installed a dms3.0 in my v7 ps2 in a little less than an hour, although it wasnt perfect (wires wear a lil long) it did work like it should have.

if you havent gotten it done yet, i can install a ps2 chip for 40$....and you pay shippin both ways.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Maybe with the DMS its easy, but I installed a magic on my v7 and a bunch of points were on chips, not just small points on the board. I mean like 7-10 wires were on legs of chips.
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

Got a DMS-3 I sent mine out to americanmodz. Netmech is really reliable and mine works sweet. First time I have ever sent my PS2 to some one I don't know and It has been well worth It.