Coldheat... im thinking about ordering one...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Coldheat... im thinking about ordering one...

Post by MKE »

has anybody used this... saw the demo on tv...and it would be really handy...

the faq sais the only thing you shouldnt use it for is heavy gauge soldering... but ok for electronic soldering.

im probably going to order one because it would be really usefull since i have a lack of space and have burnt to many thing's waiting for the iron to cool down (also having to wait for the iron to cool down is annoying)

( http://www.coldheat.com )
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

Let me know how it goes. I would like to get one of these too but like you, I have not talkied to anyone about it and know not how well it works.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

I saw that thing...I wonder how/if it works...I'm interested too...
Feel it, Don't think
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

It's crap. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just a fool who can't use a normal soldering iron becuase they are either A.) retard b.) talking out their ass. All the tips are split doing the middle, making it nearly impossible to solder small points on PCBs.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Lame. It sounded cool
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I read a review of it and the dude reviewing it loved it.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

They have em at radioshack for $20.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Xylene wrote:It's crap. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just a fool who can't use a normal soldering iron becuase they are either A.) retard b.) talking out their ass. All the tips are split doing the middle, making it nearly impossible to solder small points on PCBs.
From what I've seen, the gap on the conical tip shouldn't cause any problems for typical usage.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

Alexvrb wrote:
Xylene wrote:It's crap. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just a fool who can't use a normal soldering iron becuase they are either A.) retard b.) talking out their ass. All the tips are split doing the middle, making it nearly impossible to solder small points on PCBs.
From what I've seen, the gap on the conical tip shouldn't cause any problems for typical usage.
yeah, i was looking at that too, the one on it is split, but that one look's smooth (ie not split) and if i do get it, ill probably use it mainly for soldering the jumper's on the xbox to tsop flash it or to install the chip's...would make thing's a lot easier. (the only bad thing i can see is battery life...)

i just got paid today so im gonna make a trip to radio shack tommarrow and see if they have 'em. if they do ill pick one up and if it's good ill keep it and if not, ill take it back and say it didnt work or something, lol.

hopefully they sell the tip's too so i dont have to order one from there site...

i should be posting back tommarrow saying if it worked or not (assuming my radio shack has one).....but i cant promise anything...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Rattrap51
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Rattrap51 »

I wouldn't use it for anything sensitive at all. I've heard that because of the way it works and the split it would easily ruin sensitive electronics by sending current that was supposed to heat the iron up through your electronics.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

I had one till i sold it to a buddy of mine. Long story short: its ok for soldering wires together, but do NOT try to do any PCB work with it, its nearly impossible. Just stick with a good old fashioned soldering iron and youll be fine. dont waste your money.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

well MKE buy one try it out and tell us how it goes. you can be the forums guinea pig
wont u be my friend?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

MKE wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:
yeah, i was looking at that too, the one on it is split, but that one look's smooth (ie not split) and if i do get it, ill probably use it mainly for soldering the jumper's on the xbox to tsop flash it or to install the chip's...would make thing's a lot easier. (the only bad thing i can see is battery life...)

i just got paid today so im gonna make a trip to radio shack tommarrow and see if they have 'em. if they do ill pick one up and if it's good ill keep it and if not, ill take it back and say it didnt work or something, lol.

hopefully they sell the tip's too so i dont have to order one from there site...

i should be posting back tommarrow saying if it worked or not (assuming my radio shack has one).....but i cant promise anything...
All the tips are split becuase that's how it works. Current is sent to the end of the tip that goes across the gap or something that makes it hot.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Yeah they are all split. I was just saying that on the conical one, the gap didn't look like it would be a problem for typical usage. I wouldn't use it for really fine work, but then again I wouldn't use my current iron+tips for anything that small either. All of the other coldheat tips besides the conical one all look bad for electronic work period. I was just saying that if you're going to get one, the conical one comes down to enough of a point that you could use it.

I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the disadvantages, but they are pretty nifty. I guess if you have a good small tipped soldering iron already, at least you have something to fall back on.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Rattrap51
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Rattrap51 »

Do you think if you got a little piece of solder stuck between the 2 parts of the tip that it would just keep heating up and not get cool like its supposed to?
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I don't think it's an issue at all, and besides, solder doesn't really get stuck when you involve heat.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.