I've got a new mission for all of you Hardware experts!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
ValeraK
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ValeraK »

O.P.G-RAMIN wrote: He I@N man i wana know howe many volt' the condesator's have to b en also howe the polorisatie have 2 b it's only saying 220uf :(
Video signal 0.7volt.

Condensator's not needed for VGA monitor, needed for SCART only, connect RGB signals direct to VGA pin's.
sorry my bad english ...
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Quick question:

Post by MidnightObsidian »

I wired together one of those VGA adaptors as described by ValeraK and TheDumbAss. I wired the RGB wires with inline electrolytic capacitors (I was supposed to use electrolytic, not ceramic, right?) and the sync wires with inline resistors. That's ALL I did... and it might just be my soldering skills, but it didn't work. I was thinking: Wouldn't I need a ground wire connected? There wasn't any as described by those two in the past, but I would think it would be necessary.

...But I'm a computer technician, not a professional electrician.
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Lol... Um... if you really did get VGA box instructions from me no wonder it doesnt work. I've never attempted making a VGA box nor have I said I knew how. As far as I know Ive not given anything but minor suggestions on where to put the circut board and such inside the DC. That was only for MidnightObsidian's original plan of putting it inside the modem case.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

:oops:
Looks like my mother dropped me on my head too many times when I was a baby.
I meant I@N's instructions, not TheDumbAss's. Sorry about that, man.
O.P.G-RAMIN
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by O.P.G-RAMIN »

I Can tell you one thing
this shem is fucking fake fake yes it's a fucking fake i wana see proof that's it is for real :twisted: ok i dont know whar I@N got the fucking shim frome but i cudent get it 2 work i did evry thin end i'm i gave it 2 some body who is doing this as a workingh he make's stuff he say it is a fake cas he did all he can end still cudent get it 2 work so i wana see I@N HIS SHIT END I WANA SEE HIM JUSE IT ON HIS VGA MONITOR ok also the russion man do you have a pic of it :) or jusr a litel shem i wana see it
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

MidnightObsidian:

If you look on the schematic, you will see on the 15 way connector that the monitor plugs into, there are 5 black connections, all of these are 0v. It caught me out too when I first made it, sorry for not mentioning it before (I stupidly forgot :roll: ).

O.P.G-RAMIN:

I can assure you that it is not fake. The original circuit was posted at http://www.GameSX.com which is a respected site containing various console information.

The problem you are having may be the same as MidnightObsidian, if it is I aplogise for not mentioning it before. Otherwise the problem lies with the way you have constructed the circuit.

If you want proof that it works, I suggest you look at these pictures;

http://www.geocities.com/imhill/vgaproof.htm

If I was going to make something up, why on earth would I chose this, and why would I go to such lengths?

I hope this helps :)
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

>= )

I [i]KNEW[/i] that those black dots had to be for something!! >= )
Thanks I@N, you've been an enormous help. I owe you BIG TIME.
And OPG, you might want to try that out again... ti's very real and I@N isn't a John Henderson. >= )
O.P.G-RAMIN
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by O.P.G-RAMIN »

Yeah well sorry man i know i whas firs bizy making a pcb board it toke me 2 day's no problem i also got crazy cas i cudent get it 2 work man :( ok Thx man now i can get it 2 work (i hope so)
Ps wot do you mean with "5 black connections, all of these are 0v"
that i have 2 connect the rgb end the H end V in to it the 5 black hole's the 3 black hole's are for rgb end the oder one's are for H end v :) righ
Ok thx gezaar
O.P.G-RAMIN
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by O.P.G-RAMIN »

O also I@N i have 2 switech ok they switch has 3 legg's :) on them it say i have to conect a wire 2 it on witch legg the leggs look like this

__||__ __||__
| | | |
|____| |____|
|| || || || || ||

ok it's looking like this 2 howe do i have to conect the 2 switches :? cas i dont get it i hope you can tell this2 howe do i have to connect the wire's to the leggs.

i also did this 2 the vga conector like this

-------------
rgb--> \ ooo /
\ __oo_/ <-- H&V BUT DO I HAVE TO CONNECT THE RGB TO THE 3 BLACK HOLE'S :? END THE H&V DO I HAVE TO CONECT IT TO THE 2 BLACK HOLE'S :)RIGH
jim
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

questions...

Post by jim »

I, too have tried the designs and have problems. Will try the direct method like ValeraK to see if its something I'm doing with the chip, caps or something else. BTW, I@N, the electroylic capcitors flows from dc connection(+) to VGA connection(-), right? And the diodes with the ring on the diode facing in the direction of the arrow? Maybe I have them in wrong. I have also tried this diagram. too:

http://www.massystems.com/dc-vga.html

Thanks for the help...
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

O.P.G-RAMIN:

Here is a close-up of the monitor connector, showing exactly what to do, I hope it helps;

http://www.geocities.com/imhill/moncon.htm

I will upload a picture of how to connect the switches later.
jim said:

BTW, I@N, the electroylic capcitors flows from dc connection(+) to VGA connection(-), right?
Yes
jim said:

And the diodes with the ring on the diode facing in the direction of the arrow?
Yes

Also the link you posted doesn't work :(
jim
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by jim »

sorry, here is the correct link...
http://www.massystems.com/DC-VGA.html

BTW, I connected it the way ValeraK sais, and my monitor would only go into standby mode. Don't know why. I had it grounded with the 5 pins on the vga adapter.
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

It's more-or-less the same circuit, just without the switches.

The problem you describe sounds like a problem with the sync inputs to the monitor.

I don't really know what could be causing that :? , I assume you had both pin 6 & pin 7 (RGB & VGA select) on the DC's connector wired to 0v, and h/v sync connected to the correct pins?

Other than that you have me stumped :? :(
O.P.G-RAMIN
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by O.P.G-RAMIN »

he man Thx its' working but i see the start screen end if the game boot it will give me a black screen the game "only" work if i put off the vga end put it on when the game loaded but it only work some time's :( "snif snif"
i hope you can help me out with this one 2 :D
aaaggrr damn my dreamcast cant out put the vga singal 2 the tv any more i try the 2 switch thing end cudent get it 2 work damn i hope you can help me with that 2 :)
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

It sounds as though the games you are trying to play do not support the VGA box (it states on the rear of the games box if VGA is supported or not).

However there is a way to get around it (as you have discovered).

Turn the DC on with the VGA switch turned off (there will not be a picture on your monitor).
Once the 'Produced by or under liscence by Sega' screen appears (you will have to guess when this happens, but usually after 15-20 seconds) switch the VGA switch on.
You should see the picture on your monitor in all it's VGA glory.

There are a minority of games that cannot work with the VGA box even if you carry out the above procedure.

If you are booting a game via the utopia bootdisc, do not switch on the VGA switch until you have swapped discs.
aaaggrr damn my dreamcast cant out put the vga singal 2 the tv any more
Do you mean TV or monitor? Obviously you cannot output a VGA signal to a TV. Have you made an internal adaptor, or an external plug-in one?
jim
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by jim »

[quote="I@N"]
It's more-or-less the same circuit, just without the switches.

The problem you describe sounds like a problem with the sync inputs to the monitor.

I don't really know what could be causing that :? , I assume you had both pin 6 & pin 7 (RGB & VGA select) on the DC's connector wired to 0v, and h/v sync connected to the correct pins?
yes, connected to ground

Other than that you have me stumped :? :(
[/quote]
I have tried this over and over, maybe I got a bad vga part or something. I know I can just buy the DC vga adapter, I just want the satisfaction of getting it to work, since I got all the parts needed. I am going to try a pcb board this time around since its the only thing I didn't do.
O.P.G-RAMIN
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by O.P.G-RAMIN »

well i'm jusing a game that suport vga so it's working it's shenmue2 :D wel well i made a internal adaptor :) end i juse the 2 swiths i cant get it 2 work end also if i just solder the wire off the switch i will see the dreamcast screen en when the sega screen is coming it just pop off :( man i dont know wot is going on :cry: but i i wana know howe i can solve this :) well hope you can help me :D
cheers
PSiEK
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by PSiEK »

:o
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

I finally got around to building my primitive-ass VGA adapter. >= ) It looks like crap and isn't very solid, but when the connections are made, it works perfectly. Thank you very much for your schematics, I@N!

Just so you all know, the picture will be DARKER if you do NOT use the capacitors (or condensators, as ValeraK calls them). It isn't difficult to play games and it can actually look nicer in a darker room, like mine.

The RGB signal from the Dreamcast is a pretty steady 0.7 volts. The capacitors will regulate it a very little bit and brighten the image. If you have a nice monitor like I do, you can adjust the video signal input to either 0.7 volts or 1.0 volts (the two standards). That way the monitor itself will compensate for the lower input level. (I wonder if it just uses toggleable (sp?) capacitors?)

Thanks again to I@N and ValeraK for all of their help!
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

I'm glad I could be of help in some small way :)