Dreamcast 50/60 htz

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
BobsShadow
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast 50/60 htz

Post by BobsShadow »

Here'd an old post Mr Spoon requested.

mrhaboobi

Ok so i just stumbled across this page..

http://tng.to/dreamu/palmoden.htm

sligghtly different to the last picture somoene posted.

Ok so i have some questions.

I have a Jap DC, and Skies of Arcadia ( PAL ) will boot fine but the screen is half way down the TV. I assume its the 50/60 Htz thing, also i have a Action reply and i try to boot in PAL mode, the swirl is still Orange and the game is still squashed half way down the screen.

Do has anyone found a fix for this..?

Im going crazy not being able to play Skies of Arcadia on my jap dc, Help

Mr Spoon

Have you tried this simple mod yet?
If someone has please post your results. Its not gonna help us pal gamers stuck with some awfull 50hz only games but it could be a start.

mrhaboobi

Yes, i performed this modification. I didn't remove the extra resistor/jumper as suggested. I just linked the required jumper. After testing it with my jap DC i can play Skies of Arcadia perfectly, i also tested it with various NTSC games and found that none of them were affected.

http://www.ps2sales.co.uk/dreamcast_4_w ... iagram.htm

Check the link above, it shows a really good spot to put the switch, i looked at doing this myself but its not even required if you're using a PAL TV.

FrOsTbUrNeR

hey mrhaboobi, where are u located, i would like u to mod my dc for me, what price?

mrhaboobi

Im In New Zealand, so i doubt i can do the mod for you, its really quite simple, works a treat if you have a JAP or US DC and your have a Pal tv which can do 60 Htz games.. Now all my games run properly i though ti was going to have to buy a PAL dc for skies of arcadia, but not any more its really just a matter of opening the machine, remembering what screws go where and soldering to the bottom of the board carefully, you could just link the two points with a solder blob i think, but i used a wire so that i can reverse it easy if i want to..

radish28

can you make instructions, or show an iimage of your dc inside with the swich or somthing... i just dont get the jumper thing... please help

mrhaboobi

Ok well cant take a photo, but how about.

Look at the picture in the top post. See the spot on the board. where the arrow points to. Thats a Jumper ( R422 i think ) you should see the same spot on your board, ( i bottomue you know how to open the machine and get to the main board, you have to flip the board over as the spot is on the bottom of the board. )

Basically the Jumper looks like 2 small sqaure solder blobs. ( they are side by side inside the little square outlined box.
_ _
| | | |
- -

Now if you have a PAL tv set and a US machine ( or JAP ) then just get a bit of wire and link the two points.

_ _
| |---------| |
- -

Thats all you have to do for a NTSC machine on a PAL TV.

If you want you can do a switch, but i didnt do it, theres no need if you have a pal tv, only if you have an NTSC tv.

Hope thats enough to get you going..

mrhaboobi

doh the little images got screwed up , but do you get the idea? If i have more time i'll make a better picture.
Mr Spoon

Post by Mr Spoon »

God damn those old posts look lame :lol:
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

lol, ned pictures.. when i tryed this a whole side of the tin jumper totally came off... damn, i suck at soldering....
MadGun68
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MadGun68 »

Heh. R423 is not a jumper. It's a resistor. That's why it's marked with an R and not a J. (Observation noted from the pictures @ the link provided.)

MG