Arcade controller stick input

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
UndeadDC
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Arcade controller stick input

Post by UndeadDC »

Can anyone tell me what the dreamcast arcade stick is using to drive joystick input? Is it the analog stick or the d-pad? The reason I ask is because I have a cheap interact controller that lets you switch between four and six button modes, and playing Gunbird 2 I noticed that different things worked depending on what setting you used. Specifically in the six button mode the analog stick or d-pad could be used to move, but in four button mode only the d-pad could be used.

I found a controller testing program on ISO zone, but I can't get it to burn for some reason.
snickerbockers
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Arcade controller stick input

Post by snickerbockers »

I just tested it, the arcade stick's joystick is the d-pad.

I'm guessing that maybe this is a quirk of that controller. I know some people like to push the buttons on 6-button genesis controllers with their fingers like it's a mini arcade stick; maybe the third party controller turns the analog stick into a d-pad in 6-button mode to facilitate that? That way you could pinch the analog stick between your forefinger and thumb and it would actually be like a little arcade stick.
UndeadDC
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: Arcade controller stick input

Post by UndeadDC »

That's what I was wanting to know. Thanks for that. My plan is to use the cheap interact controller to make a custom arcade stick, but I wanted to be sure what the joystick was connected to.