RFID Discussion

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
bushnrvn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RFID Discussion

Post by bushnrvn »

I did a quick search for RFID and didn't see anything regarding development as it pertains to the Dreamcast.

The recent proliferation of figurine based games has me interested in RFID development in general but of course I am curious as to whether it may be feasible from a homebrew perspective on the Dreamcast. Obviously not in the scope of these games, but as a proof of concept.

I know that there was an RFID reader developed but never commercially released for the DC so the technology can work. Just curious if anyone here has ever researched or done any RFID experiements with the DC.

06/21/2014
======================

Assembled the kit from Adafruit - very simple. Using their provided libraries, I was able to get the kit up and running and wrote a message to the card:
thinking.png
Last edited by bushnrvn on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: RFID Discussion

Post by |darc| »

Hmm, this is one thing I've never of anyone doing. It should really be any harder than building your RFID reader for a PC, assuming you were doing it from scratch (writing your own software and designing your own hardware)
It's thinking...
bushnrvn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by bushnrvn »

That was my thought as well. I am still in the research stages but right now I am thinking Sega did it best when they developed the Swatch reader as a VMU slot add-in. The RFID holds information numbering in the bytes and this would be a perfect, no hassle way to get information directly to the console.
bushnrvn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by bushnrvn »

Anyone have a mirror of maushammer.com? Looks like there used to be a lot of VMU related info there. Site is down and robots.txt won't allow Internet Archive to work.

Currently, I am looking at Adafruit's NXP based RFID Arduino shield.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/364

Basic idea is that the Arduino interfaces with the VMU or VMU slot which acts as a bridge between the DC and the RFID reader.

Things I need to find:

Pinout for VMU and explanation of the relationship to the DC.
Resources/information on programming the VMU.