DC CPU temperature monitor.

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
dymeh
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC CPU temperature monitor.

Post by dymeh »

Hi there, just got back into the whole DC thing, and recently overclocked my DC. Now I'm just wondering if anyone knows howto add/mod a cpu temperature monitor to the DC?? Something perhaps with some kind of LCD display to show temp. It would be kinda nice to see what temp she's running at under stress.

The only idea I could come up with would be a bastardised infrared thermometer, but the DC case comes pretty compact. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
TheRedFox
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DC CPU temperature monitor.

Post by TheRedFox »

So, as someone who knows only the most superficial electrical engineering stuff, I'm probably not qualified to answer, but seeing as nobody else is I'll tell you my kind of crazy thought on this.

If you had some sort of a temperature sensitive switch, you could probably fairly simply wire something up so that the switch activates a red LED or something, when it's activated by the CPU getting to whatever temp the switch responded to. There's a few spots on the DC that it's fairly easy to draw the power source needed to illuminate an LED on the DC's circuit board, and they're well marked with stuff like "+5v." It's fairly easy to find pictures indicating them if you look up some old dev threads about, for example, putting in a "fan LED" (meaning an LED that light's up the fan grate on the side of the DC). All that you'd need would be the switch, some wire, an LED, and a resistor to put in front of the LED (I don't remember that much about how you choose the resistance, though, unfortunately), you could probably place the red LED in the fan grate, to make it visible even, and the space constraints would be minimal

The only problem? I don't know if there's such thing as a temperature sensitive switch, or if so how hard one is to find that responds to the correct temperature, or how big one would be if it existed. As such, this idea is only hypothetical

On the other hand, I'm sure it's possible to make a temperature sensor that connects to a numeric diplay, and shows the temp, but for that you'd probably need ICs and microcontrollers, and a hell of a lot more knowledge of electrical engineering than I have, or conversely a schematic, which I also don't have

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

note: It might be possible to do something similar to my earlier idea with a temperature sensitive resistor, if that's a thing.

TheRedFox

EDIT: note also, that if it is something that's doable, I could easily draw up a schematic, and show where on the DC you need to draw power from for the temp-sensitive switch idea, and I might be able to figure out something to do with a temp-sensitive resistor, as well, I just don't know if it would actually be useful, because I don't know if those are real electrical components you can find.
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd