Dreamcast Portable WIP

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
TheGreek
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Portable WIP

Post by TheGreek »

deleted due to crap
Last edited by TheGreek on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreek
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Dreamcast Portable WIP

Post by TheGreek »

Any ideas that I could incorporate to make this better or things it should have to make it over the top.

Thanks again.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Wow, really impressive :o
Insane homebrew collector.
TheGreek
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by TheGreek »

Last edited by TheGreek on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Not much input here, just posting to say it's looking great!
dark2
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by dark2 »

What is the shell from? A portable TV? It looks pretty smooth and retail looking :wink:
TheGreek
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by TheGreek »

Thank you gents!

Its a bit of a Frankenstein that's for sure LOL. I would like to inspire someone to make their own instead of a copy or clone. I will mold the case to make a few more portable Dreamcast's in the future, right now this one is it. A few cases will be made out of poly-plastic and a good friend agreed to do a few in carbon-fiber. In all the portables I have seen the best ones are so complicated that they look easy to replicate, that to me is the testament of the skill and the essence of the builder.

Remembering back, at the laser doodle portables saga OMG! Everything from ps2s, N64s, Ps1s, Dreamcast and more were being built from laser doodle cases. It went from cool to eh, but that is my opinion no offense to any of the makers they were still made with skill.

All thoughts are appreciated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I might have missed it, but how are you handling the VMU? I can't imagine there'd be enough room for an internal VMU slot... and if you hardwire one in, well, one VMU will not get you through very many games.

Unless you already have a better solution lined up, you might want to consider getting one of those "four-bank" memory cards. You can wire that in, and run the leads from the bank-switch button or switch (depending on brand) out to something that's mounted accessibly. Four VMUs' worth of storage should be a workable amount of room for save data.

If you can find one of the unlicensed brands that included a serial port at the other end of the memory card (usually for downloading cheats or saves from the computer), that opens further possibilities.

Also, you mentioned that you're keeping the A/V out. Have you considered trying to include the controller ports as well? There may not be room in their current form, but you could theoretically wire the ports through a more compact connector and use a detachable breakout box for the additional controller ports.
TheGreek
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by TheGreek »

Sorry guys Thanks to some childish crap at Made by bac forums you will see a thousand copycats and clones. So there is no sense to post my builds and projects anymore on any forum, find my stuff already built on youtube and website.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I don't understand. Why was this deleted ? :?
Insane homebrew collector.