Dreamcast : Replace GD-ROM with CD-ROM

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
stickmaniaz
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast : Replace GD-ROM with CD-ROM

Post by stickmaniaz »

What the Title say, i have a problem with the GD-ROM, Look at the "Burned Area" picture. Well i want to replace it with CD-ROM, is it possible? now i'm doing some research how to do it, but i'm not sure if it's work :l

BA5986FM

Burned Area :
Spoiler!
Full GD-ROM Board :
Spoiler!
Other Stuff :
Spoiler!
That's all, hope you guys help me :> , thanks
Christuserloeser

Re: Dreamcast : Replace GD-ROM with CD-ROM

Post by Christuserloeser »

I did not know they actually made Golden Dreamcasts ! :o :wink:

Nah, seriously: Welcome to DCEmulation! I cannot help you with your question, I'm afraid, but I hope you'll find someone that can.
Insane homebrew collector.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I know some people have changed out DC lasers with those from a PC drive, but I really don't think the hack you're talking about is going to be possible without significant/extensive levels of modifications. It'd be much easier to desolder that chip and solder a new one.
It's thinking...
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Well, the same thing basically happened to me recently. My GD-Rom simply stopped reading discs altogether.

I dont have time to tinker with it so I went down to Game Force in Boulder and got another DC.

But I also must have blown the serial port on my old DC when I attempted to build my own SD adapter, so I am happy with my new unit able to use the SD drive lol :lol:
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

I actually swapped my laser and used a pc one. It works.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

PH3NOM wrote:Well, the same thing basically happened to me recently. My GD-Rom simply stopped reading discs altogether.

I dont have time to tinker with it so I went down to Game Force in Boulder and got another DC.

But I also must have blown the serial port on my old DC when I attempted to build my own SD adapter, so I am happy with my new unit able to use the SD drive lol :lol:
Are you the guy from Game Sack?
alvin777
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by alvin777 »

Hi. Thanks for posting.

I believe the GD-ROM chip on the PAL Dreamcast (the IC BA5986FM) burned out and now the motors won't work but the lens motor, the one that goes up and down and the lens is still firing laser. I probably should have put thermal paste on its thermal pad so that it didn't overheat if overheating caused it to fail (the motors are still working when I tested them with AA batteries and wires).

It's hard to find CD-ROM only drives nowadays and I can't find a Samsung one. I only found a CD-ROM drive only but it's NEC.

There are plenty of used Samsubg drives though but they are DVD-RW, DVD-ROMs and combo drives. I was wondering if you could use their board's chip to replace the BA5986FM? Or it really needs to be a BA5986FM? Are these chips compatible because they do the same job even if their models are different or it needs to be specific?

Thank you.

God bless, Rev. 21:4