Dell XPS m1730 gaming laptop - video card dead, Oven reflow?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
ben15dc
a frickin badge
a frickin badge
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dell XPS m1730 gaming laptop - video card dead, Oven reflow?

Post by ben15dc »

Hello I have a Dell XPS M1730 with either a 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX with a Phys-x card. It is a common problem for this card, Ive seen many fixing it by reflowing it with
a special heating tool. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas I can do at home. Throwing it in the oven? Im absolute sure the card is the problem and is dead and tried every other fix.

Thanks
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Dell XPS m1730 gaming laptop - video card dead, Oven ref

Post by |darc| »

You could try to use a heatgun (these aren't that expensive), but I'm guessing you probably aren't wanting a heatgun for anything else and thus don't want to spend the money on it just for a dead card.

You could put it in the oven, I did this with an RRoD Xbox 360 with great results. I covered all of the components I didn't want to be heated with 2 layers of clear tape, 1 layer of electrical tape, 1 layer of foil tape, and them molded aluminum foil around them. I placed it on a pizza tray with bolts in the screwholes to keep the motherboard spaced off of the tray, then slowly ramped up the temperature as directed by a tutorial I found. My 360 has never RRoDed since, but I don't really play it either so.. :P
It's thinking...
ben15dc
a frickin badge
a frickin badge
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dell XPS m1730 gaming laptop - video card dead, Oven ref

Post by ben15dc »

Haha sounds funny placing it on the pizza tray and cooking. Thanks man im willing to try anything. Will post results after a while.