Bios Swap for SD Card, Have Questions.

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Hogwarts
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bios Swap for SD Card, Have Questions.

Post by Hogwarts »

So I realize it's the year 2012. Dreamcast isn't getting any younger. The GD-Rom drives are getting VERY hard to find. I couldn't find any GD-ROM parts on Ebay. There is only one Broad Band Adapter for sale on Ebay right now, and in general the Dreamcast is starting to fade away.

So I'm concerned because I wanted to keep playing my favorite games on the system.
Now here was my idea. I would need some help with these questions

I want to put DreamShell onto a micro controller and remove the default SEGA BIOS.
Solder it ontop of the default BIOS and clip the legs of the old one.

If DreamShell won't fit onto the chip (I think it will tho)
We could use something else to load the games off the SD-Card therefor bypassing the need for a GD-ROM drive totally.

My questions are this.

Where can I get the blank chip at? & any other info
Who would have a programmer to put the new BIOS onto the chip?
Will DreamShell fit onto the chip.
Is there a way to just flash DreamShell over the existing BIOS or would soldering it on top be easier?

I will be patiently waiting on an answer.
I have two dreamcasts sitting here and I would love to get soldering and making a dreamcast that does not need a GD-ROM any longer.

Thank you for any reply's and taking the time to read this.
kohan69
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bios Swap for SD Card, Have Questions.

Post by kohan69 »

Has there been any progress in making a VMU file exploit to launch a program off the SD?