My NTSC-U Dreamcast won't read discs.

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
DarkLeach7
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My NTSC-U Dreamcast won't read discs.

Post by DarkLeach7 »

My NTSC-U Dreamcast will not read my GD-ROMS period. However I do see the occasion all "Reading Disc" Prompt. It has read some Burned CD-R's however I can get randomly kicked backed to the BIOS and then the "Reading Disc" Prompt comes back up and the Game may or may not start again. This Dreamcast was found in a box while moving things into storage for family. This wouldn't be a issue but I just got some NTSC-U games and I know they will not work on my NTSC-J Dreamcast. Is there anything I can do short of buying a new Dreamcast or having to open it up? :(

Just to note, my release day NTSC-J Console works perfectly besides the fact that I have to re-enter the time information often, and it's also a little noisy but that's normal right? :?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: My NTSC-U Dreamcast won't read discs.

Post by Stryfe »

Have you tried cleaning off the laser very carefully?

Although potentially damaging if done incorrectly, you could also google how to modify the potentiometer (aka 'pot' tweaking).

As a last resort, there are specific cd-r lenses that will work as replacements for DC lenses, but they only allow cd-r playback. Meaning homebrew only, and no gd-r games...
ImageImageImageImage
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

DarkLeach7 wrote: Is there anything I can do short of buying a new Dreamcast or having to open it up? :(
If cleaning the lens didn't work... While off, turn your DC upside down, and then turn it on. See if it reads any better.

This would help the lens sit closer to the disc of many PSXs that I was too lazy to fix, way back in my ol' game store days.
DarkLeach7
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DarkLeach7 »

I tried to clean the lens with a Q-Tip and noticed no results and flipping the console upside down proved to be no help either. However I think I know what MIGHT be wrong. When putting a game in the Dreamcast I spun it a few times then closed the lid. That didn't do anything. However I noticed that when I would open the lid I could see the console trying to spin the disc a few times and failing (I think, because the disc stops spinning when you open the lid). I don't want to modify my Dreamcast console because I've had bad luck opening consoles before. I hope this helps a bit. :)